Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmon Young arrested in New York

Tigers Place Delmon Young On Restricted List
By Mike Axisa [April 28 at 9:35am CST]

The Tigers have placed Delmon Young on the restricted list, reports MLB.com's Jason Beck. Danny Worth has been recalled from Triple-A to take his roster spot. Players on the restricted list do not count toward a team's 25-man or 40-man roster. They do not accrue service time and they don't always get paid.

Young, 26, was arrested for aggravated harassment yesterday following an altercation at the team hotel in New York. The Tigers are in town to play the Yankees. Young was intoxicated at the time and the charge has been filed as a hate crime. He's hit .242/.311/.333 with one homer in 74 plate appearances this season.

Lynn Henning of The Detroit News points out (on Twitter) that Young's contract can be voided if a hate crime offense did take place. Young will earn $6.75MM in 2012 before becoming eligible for free agency after the season.

Don't expect Worth to play much. Leyland is intent on making a starter out of anybody but Santiago and Worth.

I think Worth starts vs. LHP, and Raburn gets sent to LF, since you don't want Kelly or Dirks out there against a Lefty.

I think MLB has something in place for this.... They did it after the john Rocker incident I think.

I definitely think he could be done in Detroit. It sounds like they are just waiting for the union and league BS to happen next week.

Normally I don't think they would void his contract.

But, the Tigers are up to their ears in bad press right now, cutting Inge, playing bad, and now a hate crime by a player.

The PR department is probably going 24/7 right now.

They might have no choice but curb his ass.

per Danny Knobler: "Dombrowski says if Delmon is cleared by MLB evaluation process, he will play for the Tigers, potentially as soon as Tuesday."

fuck. i was hoping they would cut his useless ass.

of course, this is pending the evaluation monday to see if he is even cleared to play.

per Danny Knobler: "Dombrowski says if Delmon is cleared by MLB evaluation process, he will play for the Tigers, potentially as soon as Tuesday."

fuck. i was hoping they would cut his useless ass.

Translation - we are gonna continue to pretend that he's a starter and keep working the phones trying to trade his ass.

Why did the Tigers even tender a contract to Delmon if they were going to try to trade him in April?

I didn't want them to sign him in the first place, so it's not disappointing. But it is kinda weird.

Edit- There was a report that the Tigers were trying to trade him before the incident, so I don't think that's a big factor.

Last edited:
Who knows? Dombrowski shouldn't be allowed to hand out contract extensions. He should be in charge of trades, squeezing more cash out of Mr. I, and on screen PR since he's got such amazing hair. We need a separate GM who handles the contract extensions.

Back