Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fister Traded, now is retiring from baseball

For every outstanding deal DD makes, he makes at least 1 questionable at best deals. Jacques Jones, Aubrey Huff, Jarrod Washburn, Edgar Renteria, Gene Kingsale...Let alone the contract extensions to Willis, Bondo, Robertson, etc, etc.

This was a stupid deal and does not immediately address a team need. Unless we are trading Ian and wanted someone to play 2B before we traded him.

For every outstanding deal DD makes, he makes at least 1 questionable at best deals. Jacques Jones, Aubrey Huff, Jarrod Washburn, Edgar Renteria, Gene Kingsale...Let alone the contract extensions to Willis, Bondo, Robertson, etc, etc.

This was a stupid deal and does not immediately address a team need. Unless we are trading Ian and wanted someone to play 2B before we traded him.

How would flipping Kinsler help? You want Dombardozzi your starting 2B? And after this deal, I am not sure I trust DD making the next. I am still not right with the Fielder/Kinsler trade.

Also, the ultimate deal. David Purcey for Scott Sizemore. Purcey averages 5.2 BB/G, 9.6 BB/G with DET. I wonder why he only lasted 2 months?

I've been an avid DD supporter.. but after this trade, he better fucking have something up his sleeve. We've not only downgraded big time on offense, we downgraded our pitching without even upgrading other areas of our team. Coming into this offseason, he had a lot of work to do. All it seems like he's doing is making more work for him to do.. not happy right now. Fister was one of the best value guys on the roster. Arguably a better pitcher than Max, and we probably traded him to free up money to spend 10 times would Fister would demand. Stupid. Flat out stupid.

Right now this trade looks like shit but I think we should wait and see. Hopefully the minor league starter that was the #5 prospect in their organization turns out to be a good MLB player. I don't care what DD says it was a cost cutting trade.

Well, it looks like Scherzer won't be traded this year. I certainly hope they don't extend him now!

Got this from a member's post on the Motown Tigers forum:

anthony fenech ‏@anthonyfenech 26s

Dombrowski says Lombardozzi will be on big league team, goodbye to Ramon Santiago.

Dombrowski: "It gives us some possibilities of other things we want to do."

anthony fenech ‏@anthonyfenech 2m
Dombrowski mentions getting Smyly into the rotation first.

anthony fenech ‏@anthonyfenech 3m

Lynn lays it down: Dave, you have a very agitated fan base out there tonight.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Yep...DD will permanently become persona non-grata in the D by Tigers fans if this plus any other future moves this off-season blows up in his face. Some, if not many fans want his ass canned as it is. Go away and become MLB Commish NOW if you're going to ultimately destroy what remains of this supposedly contending team.

I heard the same some time ago, Thumb. I always figured if MI passed on the team would be up for sale. Unless Marion has a passion for it.

Doubtful.

Wouldn't make financial sense for Illitch Holdings to sell the Tigers.

Thomas Boswell ‏@ThomasBoswellWP 37m

Tiger fans will luv Lombardozzi's smart grinder attitude, Krol aggressive style & Ray potential. Nats will lose good friends.

Stop trying to patronize Tigers fans, U asshole.

We have had our fill of gritty grinders who didn't pan out for the most part.

Potential is what it is, unrealized.

Proof is what Fister had given the Tigers over the past several seasons.

So, I am as dumbfounded as everyone else. Seems like a horrible deal at first glance but I guess I will wait till the dust settles to start breaking things. Hope the other things that DD is working on impress me more than this. Also hope that these guys who are young end up being better than advertised. Just disappointed right now.

This was what my Nats guy said about what we're getting...

"Krol I'm not sure about. He came here as part of a 3-way deal with Seattle and Oakland and was great in the beginning and then tailed off. I don't know which guy he is, or if he was hurt and they didn't say. When he was good he was very good.

Ray is probably the guy they were most interested in. Never saw him, but have heard his name mentioned numerous times when there's discussion of who is up and coming in the minors. Definitely projected as being in the majors.

And, Lombardozzi, well he was one of my favorites. I just like this type of player. He's kind of like what Jamey Carroll used to be for them. Plays a lot of positions and won't embarrass you at any of them, doesn't strike out, and plays hard. Best suited for second base I believe, and I think he should have gotten a better look there when Danny Espinosa was sucking so bad. But, in the end, little homerun power and nothing outstanding, so I see how they think he's expendable."

I know a lot of people are down on this trade. Understandable Fister was a solid pitcher.

I watched a lot of the Nationals games this year. Lombardozzi is not a piece of crap like so many think he is. His stats in the minors are great. Only thing he doesn't do is hit for power. Lombo has blazing speed which in my opinion could make him the lead off hitter.

In the minors his avg's in 3 important leadoff man categories are runs - 90 SB - 30 OBP .367

While he is not a flashy name, I am sure Lombo will become a fan favorite within the first month of the season. I am pretty stoked we got him. He was a favorite of GM Mike Rizzo. Also he doesn't cost squat as far as salary goes.

With the glut of middle infielders and the Nationals stacked in the outfield, Lombo was a man without a position. He was not an everyday player only due to this reason. His natural position is 2B. I think we could see Kinsler move over to 3B, Nick C will probably play LF or be traded for someone that can play LF.

Here is a link the Lombo's stats 4 years in the minors when he played everyday
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=lombar002ste

I know a lot of people are down on this trade. Understandable Fister was a solid pitcher.

I watched a lot of the Nationals games this year. Lombardozzi is not a piece of crap like so many think he is. His stats in the minors are great. Only thing he doesn't do is hit for power. Lombo has blazing speed which in my opinion could make him the lead off hitter.

In the minors his avg's in 3 important leadoff man categories are runs - 90 SB - 30 OBP .367

While he is not a flashy name, I am sure Lombo will become a fan favorite within the first month of the season. I am pretty stoked we got him. He was a favorite of GM Mike Rizzo. Also he doesn't cost squat as far as salary goes.

With the glut of middle infielders and the Nationals stacked in the outfield, Lombo was a man without a position. He was not an everyday player only due to this reason. His natural position is 2B. I think we could see Kinsler move over to 3B, Nick C will probably play LF or be traded for someone that can play LF.

Here is a link the Lombo's stats 4 years in the minors when he played everyday
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=lombar002ste

He has had ample amount of ABs in the majors and seems to have lost the ability to take a walk and hit in general.

So as of now this is what DD did with this trade.

Lost 29 year old solid #4 pitcher with 1.31 WHIP, 3.67 ERA who was going to make +/- $7M. This moves Porcello into the #4 slot and Smyly into the #5. While Porcello is not as consistant he is probably more talented with more upside. Smyly is unproven but will be a #5. Effectively replaced Fister with Smyly who makes about $500K but very likely lost a little production with the #4 and #5 pitchers in the rotation.

Replaced Drew Smyly in the rotation with Ian Krol who is very young LH relief pitcher. Based on his splits he should be used only vs. LH hitters who hit .220 against him with a .593 OPS. Not sure about what he is but it looks like a downgrade.

Effectively replaced Ramon Santiago ($2.1M) with Steve Lombardozzi ($500K) who is much younger and a little more versitile since he can play in the OF.

Added a prospect who was the #5 prospect in the Nats organization. He is 22 years old who projects to be a #3 (at best) - 4 type starter (according to what I have heard today)

So, they got a little worse in the rotation, a little weaker in the BP and effectively saved $8M in payroll. This smells like a way to save more money so they can sign an impact free agent.

He has had ample amount of ABs in the majors and seems to have lost the ability to take a walk and hit in general.

He needs to play everyday. He was a fill in when other players were hurt and also a pinch hitter in late innings. 307 plate appearances is only half a seasons worth.

His track record in the minors says he will hit. By the end of 2014 he could be compared to Jose Altuve

So as of now this is what DD did with this trade.

Lost 29 year old solid #4 pitcher with 1.31 WHIP, 3.67 ERA who was going to make +/- $7M. This moves Porcello into the #4 slot and Smyly into the #5. While Porcello is not as consistant he is probably more talented with more upside. Smyly is unproven but will be a #5. Effectively replaced Fister with Smyly who makes about $500K but very likely lost a little production with the #4 and #5 pitchers in the rotation.

Replaced Drew Smyly in the rotation with Ian Krol who is very young LH relief pitcher. Based on his splits he should be used only vs. LH hitters who hit .220 against him with a .593 OPS. Not sure about what he is but it looks like a downgrade.

Effectively replaced Ramon Santiago ($2.1M) with Steve Lombardozzi ($500K) who is much younger and a little more versitile since he can play in the OF.

Added a prospect who was the #5 prospect in the Nats organization. He is 22 years old who projects to be a #3 (at best) - 4 type starter (according to what I have heard today)

So, they got a little worse in the rotation, a little weaker in the BP and effectively saved $8M in payroll. This smells like a way to save more money so they can sign an impact free agent.

Both LHP'S could be used out of the BP to help fill the gap if Phil Coke fails to make the team out of spring training. The tigers farm system has no LH Relief pitchers. We were desperate now that Smiley is going to the rotation.

He needs to play everyday. He was a fill in when other players were hurt and also a pinch hitter in late innings. 307 plate appearances is only half a seasons worth.

His track record in the minors says he will hit. By the end of 2014 he could be compared to Jose Altuve

You think he's playing everyday here? We already have a 2B so what now..his bat doesn't warrant LF or 3B (not that he could play there..). Lomobddozzi, I will try and keep an open mine, but at first, second and third glance he looks like a Kelly clone.

You think he's playing everyday here? We already have a 2B so what now..his bat doesn't warrant LF or 3B (not that he could play there..). Lomobddozzi, I will try and keep an open mine, but at first, second and third glance he looks like a Kelly clone.

You never know what is going to happen in spring training. I think he can be an everyday player. He just needs to be givin a chance

You never know what is going to happen in spring training. I think he can be an everyday player. He just needs to be givin a chance

It figures you're the only person besides Lynn Henning who likes this trade.

We traded Fister for a utility player, a LOOGY, and a future LOOGY. DD has gone full retard.

Last edited:

Well considering he won't be playing everyday, looks like we can expect him to continue to suck.

BTW, somebody hitting well in the minors does not guarantee ML success. A player whose effectiveness in the minor leagues is tied directly to his BABIP, is unlikely to come close to his minor league numbers, nor are they very useful in projecting his ML numbers.

No reason to really expect him to put up anything but a well below average OPS going forward.

Back