Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fister Traded, now is retiring from baseball

I like how on BR they list him as 'Second Baseman, Pinch Hitter and Leftfielder' Lol, Pinch Hitter.

Check his road numbers, even worse.

The positives:

1.) He doesn't seem to strike out a ton.
2.) He doesn't suck in August.
3.) 3rd in the lineup he's batting 1.000.

Last edited:
He needs to play everyday. He was a fill in when other players were hurt and also a pinch hitter in late innings. 307 plate appearances is only half a seasons worth.

His track record in the minors says he will hit. By the end of 2014 he could be compared to Jose Altuve

Altuve isn't good.

You think he's playing everyday here? We already have a 2B so what now..his bat doesn't warrant LF or 3B (not that he could play there..). Lomobddozzi, I will try and keep an open mine, but at first, second and third glance he looks like a Kelly clone.

Lomby allegedly has blazing speed so he might be used as a PR ala Berry '12. Doesn't appear like he will or can get on base often enough thru his own efforts while carrying a sub-.300 OBP in about 750 PAs....ugh.

Last edited:
Got this from a member's post on the Motown Tigers forum:

anthony fenech ‏@anthonyfenech 26s

Dombrowski says Lombardozzi will be on big league team, goodbye to Ramon Santiago.

Dombrowski: "It gives us some possibilities of other things we want to do."

anthony fenech ‏@anthonyfenech 2m
Dombrowski mentions getting Smyly into the rotation first.

anthony fenech ‏@anthonyfenech 3m

Lynn lays it down: Dave, you have a very agitated fan base out there tonight.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Yep...DD will permanently become persona non-grata in the D by Tigers fans if this plus any other future moves this off-season blows up in his face. Some, if not many fans want his ass canned as it is. Go away and become MLB Commish NOW if you're going to ultimately destroy what remains of this supposedly contending team.

Am I the only one who thinks smyly in the rotation is not a good thing?

I'm fairly open about trades, I'm actually quite fine with any player being traded if the deal is worth it.

However, I have a hard time believing this was the best DD could get in return for Fister.

Not if he's effectively replacing Fister, which he is. If he was replacing Porcello I'd be ok with it.

Actually, Smyly is effectively replacing Porcello who is replacing Fister. The dropoff from Fister to Porcello is not very significant. The dropoff from Porcello to Smyly is unknown.

Actually, Smyly is effectively replacing Porcello who is replacing Fister. The dropoff from Fister to Porcello is not very significant. The dropoff from Porcello to Smyly is unknown.

So 1+1+1 equals 2?

Smyly is replacing Fister, simple as that. Fister and his 30 starts, gone. Replaced by Smyly and his 30 starts.

Porcello was in the rotation last year, and as of now he is in the rotation again this year so Smyly is not replacing him. He's replacing Fister who is no longer here. The rotation is not as strong because of this.

So as of now this is what DD did with this trade.

Lost 29 year old solid #4 pitcher with 1.31 WHIP, 3.67 ERA who was going to make +/- $7M. This moves Porcello into the #4 slot and Smyly into the #5. While Porcello is not as consistant he is probably more talented with more upside. Smyly is unproven but will be a #5. Effectively replaced Fister with Smyly who makes about $500K but very likely lost a little production with the #4 and #5 pitchers in the rotation.

Replaced Drew Smyly in the rotation with Ian Krol who is very young LH relief pitcher. Based on his splits he should be used only vs. LH hitters who hit .220 against him with a .593 OPS. Not sure about what he is but it looks like a downgrade.

Effectively replaced Ramon Santiago ($2.1M) with Steve Lombardozzi ($500K) who is much younger and a little more versitile since he can play in the OF.

Added a prospect who was the #5 prospect in the Nats organization. He is 22 years old who projects to be a #3 (at best) - 4 type starter (according to what I have heard today)

So, they got a little worse in the rotation, a little weaker in the BP and effectively saved $8M in payroll. This smells like a way to save more money so they can sign an impact free agent.

There are 30 teams with 5 starters each = 150 MLB starters. If you rank them, 1-30 = #1. 31-60 = #2, 61-90 = #4, 91-120 = #4 and 121-150 = #5

Last 3 years Away

wOBA
4 - Verlander .278
30 - A. Sanchez .300
37 - Scherzer .305
38 - Fister .306

92 - Porcello .329

FIP
7 - Verlander 3.10
15 - A. Sanchez 3.43
21 - Fister 3.51
25 - Scherzer 3.54

69 - Porcello 3.97

WHIP
4 - Verlander 1.10
28 - Scherzer 1.20
31 - Fister 1.21
42 - A. Sanchez 1.24

109 - Porcello 1.40

ERA
7 - Verlander 3.04
12 - A. Sanchez 3.12
38 - Fister 3.54
47 - Scherzer 3.70

82 - Porcello 4.17

Now if #1-2 are the top 60, there is no way any of the Detroit's top 4 starters in 2013 are anything more than a #2. Porcello is a high #3 or a low #4.

Porcello was in the rotation last year, and as of now he is in the rotation again this year so Smyly is not replacing him. He's replacing Fister who is no longer here. The rotation is not as strong because of this.

I get what you're saying man, me and Tom had the same argument about Scherzer getting traded earlier, he keeps thinking about their # in the rotation, not the net gain/loss of the staff as a whole.

Last edited:
I'm not even worried about the rotation, now. Though it isn't as strong, it's still one good rotation. Later on, yes. Because either two things are going to happen: 1.) We sign Max to an extension and he makes a boat load of cash and pitches like his career numbers suggest, inconsistent as hell. Or 2.) We trade him and Smyly/Porcello is our 3 and 4 and thus a weaker rotation.

But it's not about any of that. I'm okay with trading just about anyone but the trade itself appears to be way better for the Nats.

Last edited:
Well considering he won't be playing everyday, looks like we can expect him to continue to suck.

BTW, somebody hitting well in the minors does not guarantee ML success. A player whose effectiveness in the minor leagues is tied directly to his BABIP, is unlikely to come close to his minor league numbers, nor are they very useful in projecting his ML numbers.

No reason to really expect him to put up anything but a well below average OPS going forward.

It also doesn't guarantee he will suck.The guy is only 25 years old and was used as a pinch hitter in 47 games of 307 plate appearances. His minor league numbers are nothing to ignore. Pinch hitting is one of the toughest jobs in baseball. Ask any MLB player.

Sorry if you don't like the guy. But I do I don't care if everyone hates me for it or not. Bottom line is he is a Tiger now and DD traded for him.

There are 30 teams with 5 starters each = 150 MLB starters. If you rank them, 1-30 = #1. 31-60 = #2, 61-90 = #4, 91-120 = #4 and 121-150 = #5

Last 3 years Away

wOBA
4 - Verlander .278
30 - A. Sanchez .300
37 - Scherzer .305
38 - Fister .306

92 - Porcello .329

FIP
7 - Verlander 3.10
15 - A. Sanchez 3.43
21 - Fister 3.51
25 - Scherzer 3.54

69 - Porcello 3.97

WHIP
4 - Verlander 1.10
28 - Scherzer 1.20
31 - Fister 1.21
42 - A. Sanchez 1.24

109 - Porcello 1.40

ERA
7 - Verlander 3.04
12 - A. Sanchez 3.12
38 - Fister 3.54
47 - Scherzer 3.70

82 - Porcello 4.17

Now if #1-2 are the top 60, there is no way any of the Detroit's top 4 starters in 2013 are anything more than a #2. Porcello is a high #3 or a low #4.

sorry....I should have said they lost their #4.

Last edited:
This is absurd, he is more like #19 offensively and one of the worst in UZR/150.

It all depends on what list you look at. He ranks high on every experts list except yours and your not an expert.

You seem to put absolutely no value on SB's, Runs or Batting Average. Some guys are just free swingers like Polanco. His OBP wasn't that great and he never took a walk, but everyone loved him here in Detroit.

It all depends on what list you look at. He ranks high on every experts list except yours and your not an expert.

You seem to put absolutely no value on SB's, Runs or Batting Average. Some guys are just free swingers like Polanco. His OBP wasn't that great and he never took a walk, but everyone loved him here in Detroit.

OK...so provide a link to these expert rankings. Please, please, please backup your claims with evidence. You might not like my evidence, but I always back up anything I claim.

Back