Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 109 Tigers @ Yankees

Austin wouldn't have caught that

I was waiting for someone to say this.

Never fails, when someone makes a great play people always talk about how so-and-so wouldn't have made it.

Never fails, when someone makes a great play people always talk about how so-and-so wouldn't have made it.

Do they? I didn't notice, that wasn't really a very long wait though was it, I said he wouldn't have caught that because he rarely ever laid out for a ball. Let's try it this way. Austin wouldn't have dove for that

Last edited:

Well, it would have been a hell of a long run for him from Seattle...

What IS going to happen when a play is stopped; and a call is overturned that, had the call been made differently in the first place, action would have continued with unknowable results?

Has anybody thought of that?

Because these two professional broadcasters on ESPN both stated that they would have no idea...

Last edited:
Do they? I didn't notice I said he wouldn't have caught that because he rarely ever laid out for a ball. Let's try it this way. Austin wouldn't have dove for that

I don't think he would have had to.

It was a nice play by Carerra, but I think other CF'ers make it look routine because they wouldn't have had to jump/layout for it. And Ajax was always great going after balls hit deep over his head, it was the short ones that he wouldn't dive for.

Carerra is 5' 10" Jackson is 6' 1"

Not taking anything away from Carerra, but I think Ajax makes that catch. For that matter I think Don Kelly does as well.

It was a nice play by Carerra, but I think other CF'ers make it look routine because they wouldn't have had to jump/layout for it. And Ajax was always great going after balls hit deep over his head, it was the short ones that he wouldn't dive for.

Not taking anything away from Carerra, but I think Ajax makes that catch. For that matter I think Don Kelly does as well.

Freakin' byco would have made that catch; it really wasn't all that impressive.

Jim Edmonds used to like to do that crap; make routine plays look a lot harder than they really are.

What IS going to happen when a play is stopped; and a call is overturned that, had the call been made differently in the first place, action would have continued with unknowable results?

Has anybody thought of that?

Because these two professional broadcasters on ESPN both stated that they would have no idea...

Excellent point maybe that's why it wasn't challenged umps prolly said look joe if we review this and find out he bobbled it then ain't gunna have a flying pigs ass what to do with all those runs that may have then scored but didn't so just get your ass back in the dugout and well be sure to let the commish know mlb needs to sort out some of these grey areas at the next owners meeting

Last edited:

Either way max isn't looking very good tonight

Excellent point maybe that's why it wasn't challenged umps prolly said look joe if we review this and find out he bobbled it then ain't gunna have a flying pigs ass what to do with all those runs that may have then scored but didn't so just get your ass back in the dugout and well be sure to let the commish know mlb needs to sort out some of these grey areas at the next owners meeting

I say, once play is stopped, it's stopped - it's a slippery slope to try and guess what might have happened; so simply resolve to the simplest resolution.

In that case, the out comes off the board; the hitter is granted first base, and the runner on first is forced to second.

Bases remain loaded, nobody out, one run in.

I say, once play is stopped, it's stopped - it's a slippery slope to try and guess what might have happened; so simply resolve to the simplest resolution.

In that case, the out comes off the board; the hitter is granted first base, and the runner on first is forced to second.

According to Dickerson and Price (probably more knowledgeable than the ESPN flunkies, Dickerson anyways) It would be umpires discretion where the batter would be placed and what runs would have scored.

Dickerson and Price agreed that was a bases clearing triple if it was not a catch.

I was leaning towards scaling back what can reviewed and what can't, I don't like all the time killing after every 10 plays while they wait for the thumbs up or thumbs down from the guy on the phone in the dugout or put a time limit on if you want the challenge or not of let's say 10 seconds

Last edited:
So we got a pretty big break from a Yankee baserunning error? Seems like last year, the Tigers were the ones making the baserunning errors.

I was leaning towards scaling back what can reviewed and what can't, I don't like all the time killing after every 10 plays while they wait for the thumbs up or thumbs down from the guy on the phone in the dugout or put a time limit on if you want the challenge or not of let's say 10 seconds

I posted way back that a manager should not be allowed on the field unless he is going to challenge/argue a call. This stalling until a thumbs up/down is horseshit.

You step on the field after a play it should be considered an automatic challenge.

Back