Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 97 Tigers @ D-backs July 22, 2014

If you keep saying that I'm going to stab you in the face.

That's seriously one of the most overused statements i've heard lately.

let's ignore the 4 years Coke has completely sucked and say oh well at least he's been better the last month. BS. All that means is an implosion is right around the corner. Coke blows.

But since you are the guy that has openly said you don't want Coke to succeed and would rather see him fail at the Tigers expense, I don't see you changing your opinion on this.

Did I actually say that?

Again I just don't see what DD was looking at when he was fleeced in the Fister deal.. It just can't be saving 7 or 8 million cause the players we recieved are just flat out below average..

Last edited:
Not word for word but...

http://www.detroitsportsforum.com/showthread.php?p=461046#post461046

I said: I want to be wrong about Coke. Dead wrong. That would be the most delicious crow I've had in a long time.

And you replied: I don't. I still want him off my team. Even when he does good now, he's only paying off the debt he owes us.

No crow to be eaten.

Wanting him off my team and wanting him to fail at the teams expense are not really the same thing.

But yes, I'd rather he didn't have these little (miniscule) stretches of almost serviceable ability if it keeps us from dumping him and getting a better player in here. So your interpretation is kind of a stretch, but I can see how you can get there with a little exaggeration.

Again I just don't see what DD was looking at when he was fleeced in the Fister deal.. It just can't be saving 7 or 8 million cause the players we recieved are just flat out below average..

I think he had a budget and felt like he had cleared the space for Nathan by making that trade. He also got to get Smyly (cheap) in the rotation.

Terrible trade. I tried to defend DD on it but Lombo and Krol were negatives for the Tiger organization. We'll see what Ray does but his confidence appears rattled already.

LOL
Montero
he just said the 0-2 pitch was right in the middle...

Last edited:
Let's also remember this is almost 3 solid years of Coke being terrible vs. RH and just plain bad vs. LH hitters.

But then he has these little resurgences for a few games, or in the playoffs, and DD keeps bringing him back.

He's like a tire that keeps going flat....you can keep putting air in it all you want, but sooner or later it's going to blow and leave you stranded. It's time to replace that bad tire. Even Smith or one of our MiLB guys would be an upgrade over Coke.

Coke's not good. We all know it. I'm not trying to defend him or say he's gonna be stellar or anything. With no Joba, what options do we have that you truly feel OK with though? There were 2 or 3 lefties due up so obviously the call is to go with a lefty reliever. So your choices are Coke, Krol, or Hardy? So it's like deciding between death by hanging, being burned at the stake, or guillotine.

DD is starting to remind me of Ken Holland and Dan Cleary with regards to Phil Coke.

this guy will probably end up getting a raise in the offseason for sucking to the tune of a 4.5+ ERA.

I prefer AA starting the 8th... His slider if on can eat up LHB.. He is a better option to start the either Krol or Coke... But Brad just played the old lefty left righty righty thing.

He is better then either krol and coke..but just by a smidge.

Last edited:
Coke's not good. We all know it. I'm not trying to defend him or say he's gonna be stellar or anything. With no Joba, what options do we have that you truly feel OK with though? There were 2 or 3 lefties due up so obviously the call is to go with a lefty reliever. So your choices are Coke, Krol, or Hardy? So it's like deciding between death by hanging, being burned at the stake, or guillotine.

Should have been Krol. Even though he's been iffy lately, his track record is decent vs. lefties.

DD is starting to remind me of Ken Holland and Dan Cleary with regards to Phil Coke.

this guy will probably end up getting a raise in the offseason for sucking to the tune of a 4.5+ ERA.

The way DD is going he'll probably make Coke a qualifying offer.

I prefer AA starting the 8th... His slider if on can eat up LHB.. He is a better option to start the either Krol or Coke... But Brad just played the old lefty left righty righty thing.

Well the the DBacks batters due up were terrible against lefties this year...

D Gregorius: .360 OPS vs lefties. Lined out to pitcher
E Inciarte: .547 OPS vs lefties. Walked
D Peralta: .571 OPS vs lefties. Walked

Back