Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Helmet stickers and legends jerseys

b311j

Chris Balas (Rivals) is reporting that Michgan Head Coach Jim Harbaugh has decided to bring back helmet stickers, and do away with Legends jerseys.

I agree with doing away with Legends jerseys . I never liked the helmet stickers though.. Just a personal preference.

I think they were doing helmet stickers in Harbaugh's days at Michigan - they certainly were doing them when he was growing up in Ann Arbor and his dad was on the coaching staff.

I think they were doing helmet stickers in Harbaugh's days at Michigan - they certainly were doing them when he was growing up in Ann Arbor and his dad was on the coaching staff.

up until the early 90's, if I recall correctly.

decals.jpg

maybe Carr did away with them as part of his master plan to always try to lose one big game and one game they shouldn't each season, while allowing his players to get fat and lazy, run a conservative offense so that everyone knew what play would be next, only hire his friends as assistant coaches, and eventually time his departure so that there was no talent whatsoever left on the team when he retired???

but I digress...

I am glad they're getting rid of the legends jerseys... that was such an awful idea. Stands the whole concept of retiring a number on its head. One would have to be pretty stupid to come up with & implement that.

I agree with doing away with Legends jerseys . I never liked the helmet stickers though.. Just a personal preference.

Agree

And yes stickers were under Bo and Lloyd stopped them

Legends thing was a Brandon thing

up until the early 90's, if I recall correctly.

decals.jpg

maybe Carr did away with them as part of his master plan to always try to lose one big game and one game they shouldn't each season, while allowing his players to get fat and lazy, run a conservative offense so that everyone knew what play would be next, only hire his friends as assistant coaches, and eventually time his departure so that there was no talent whatsoever left on the team when he retired???

its-okay-to-feel-mad-105603609040.jpeg

Agree

And yes stickers were under Bo and Lloyd stopped them

Legends thing was a Brandon thing

They were doing the helmet stickers right when I started following Michigan football.

So I like the helmet stickers; I'm glad Harbaugh is bringing them back.

And that isn't me thinking with my stickered, helmeted Harboner either.

I just think they make the helmets look stupid.. Don't like them On MSU's and or O$U. They just bug me.. Wee!!!! Make a good play and get a sticker... Sounds like a kiddy thing to me...

Well they started giving them out for team achievements too

I overall can live with them if controlled
but not a fan of how cluttered it looks

yeah, not a fan of the stickers. no need for them. the helmet looks better without them AND the fact remains UM has never won a NC with them.

I get that harbaugh thinks they are some sort of incentive, but I never knew of a player thinking "I'm going to do something extra on this play so I can get a sticker!" either they did something special or they didn't, the sticker was never in the thought process though.

plus, stickers are about something that happened already. the players should always be pushing themselves toward the future goal of the NC victory, period. let any accomplishments and rewards for play during the season be doled out after the season is over...but during the season the entire mindset should be focused on moving forward toward winning the title. yes, review films and learn from the previous experiences...but the awards and acknowledgments can wait...and really, winning the NC is the only award worth a damn. no amount of helmet stickers can ever come close to that award.

If this is the biggest 'controversy' under Harbaugh I'm fine with it.

I'd also point out that Stanford didn't seem as liberal with the stickers under JH as other teams are with their stickers. Its hard to know what motivates a person but a change in policy going in a different direction than Hoke can't be all bad.

And did anyone else read the Freep coverage of the practices? They go all four hours, "far longer than they went under Hoke."

WTF? Four hour LIMIT ....like doing 50 on the highway in a 75mph zone.

The legends jersey thing was a complete bust. I can't think of a player that lived up to wearing one. Stupid idea.

I don't mind the stickers. If the players like them and want them, then fine. There is the danger that some players might sell them for tattoos though.

There is the danger that some players might sell them for tattoos though.

Not much.

I think the coaches put them on the helmets, and they're pretty hard to get off without destroying them.

Not so easy to sell/trade as other kinds of memorabilia.

They were doing the helmet stickers right when I started following Michigan football.

So I like the helmet stickers; I'm glad Harbaugh is bringing them back.

And that isn't me thinking with my stickered, helmeted Harboner either.

My exact thoughts. When i think of the helmet stickers, guys like desmond, grbac, and wheatley come to mind.

I get that harbaugh thinks they are some sort of incentive, but I never knew of a player thinking "I'm going to do something extra on this play so I can get a sticker!" either they did something special or they didn't, the sticker was never in the thought process though.

plus, stickers are about something that happened already.

Wow, fascinating.

Unlike most awards, which are about shit that people think are yet to come.

I don't think any national championships were not won because of helmet stickers.

Coach came through Michigan in the helmet sticker era.

He grew up in Ann Arbor (or more in Ann Arbor than anywhere else he said) while his dad was an assistant coach at Michigan for seven years.

I'm down with coach.

I like coach.

Coach was actually a sniveling little ninth grader at Tappan Jr. High when I was playing water polo as a senior at Piner high school.

Coach's brother John was a junior on the football team at Pioneer that year.

Coach wants the helmet stickers?

Bring'em; I'm down with it.

All in.

Always.

Forever.

NY times is reporting legends jerseys are gone and stickers are back.

Back