Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Helmet stickers and legends jerseys

Wow, fascinating.

Unlike most awards, which are about shit that people think are yet to come.

I don't think any national championships were not won because of helmet stickers.

Coach came through Michigan in the helmet sticker era.

He grew up in Ann Arbor (or more in Ann Arbor than anywhere else he said) while his dad was an assistant coach at Michigan for seven years.

I'm down with coach.

I like coach.

Coach was actually a sniveling little ninth grader at Tappan Jr. High when I was playing water polo as a senior at Piner high school.

Coach's brother John was a junior on the football team at Pioneer that year.

Coach wants the helmet stickers?

Bring'em; I'm down with it.

All in.

Always.

Forever.

So you have zero ability to see anything negative because of the size of your Harboner. Got it.

Thanks for snipping a piece of my post, completely leaving out the points I was making too, such as give out awards after the season is over, not during. That's like giving an Oscar for Best Picture thanks to the incredible job they did with the opening credits.

The only award worth a damn is the NC. All the other things are patronizing fluff, including The Heisman Trophy. If you don't win the NC, all those fluff awards mean very, very little, if anything. Time spent deciding what deserves a sticker and giving it out is time not spent focusing on the only goal worth a damn.

So you have zero ability to see anything negative because of the size of your Harboner. Got it.

Thanks for snipping a piece of my post, completely leaving out the points I was making too, such as give out awards after the season is over, not during. That's like giving an Oscar for Best Picture thanks to the incredible job they did with the opening credits.

The only award worth a damn is the NC. All the other things are patronizing fluff, including The Heisman Trophy. If you don't win the NC, all those fluff awards mean very, very little, if anything. Time spent deciding what deserves a sticker and giving it out is time not spent focusing on the only goal worth a damn.

So you are pretty much on board with Harbaugh and staff as far as coaching but draw the line at helmet stickers?

Last edited:
i mean come on victors. no team that gives out helmet stickers can correctly game plan and focus on football (said no analyst ever). correct me if im wrong, ohio state gave out helmet stickers and managed to win the national championship last year. no way michigan could do it.

So you are pretty much on board with Harbaugh and staff as far as coaching but draw the line at helmet stickers?

I just don't see any use for them. I see zero motivational boost in them. Bo brought them over to UM pretty much because he had seen Woody and OSU do it and thought it would help at UM. Bo never won an NC with them, but LC was able to win an NC after doing away with them.

To me they are pointless and useless. If Harbaugh wants to use them, fine...it's his team to run in that fashion so have at it. As a fan, I'm allowed to have an opposing view on the matter and gave my reasons why.

i mean come on victors. no team that gives out helmet stickers can correctly game plan and focus on football (said no analyst ever). correct me if im wrong, ohio state gave out helmet stickers and managed to win the national championship last year. no way michigan could do it.

UM having the stickers has always been a copycat of OSU having them. One more reason I prefer UM not using them.

I just don't see any use for them. I see zero motivational boost in them. Bo brought them over to UM pretty much because he had seen Woody and OSU do it and thought it would help at UM. Bo never won an NC with them, but LC was able to win an NC after doing away with them.

To me they are pointless and useless. If Harbaugh wants to use them, fine...it's his team to run in that fashion so have at it. As a fan, I'm allowed to have an opposing view on the matter and gave my reasons why.

Well, given this history we will have to put up with them for a few years so that they can be done away with and Michigan can win another NC.

With all due respect I don't care.

You have zero championships and zero much else and don't seem to understand

Last edited:
UM having the stickers has always been a copycat of OSU having them. One more reason I prefer UM not using them.

Didn't msu have winged helmets before us? Didn't we steal our song from princeton or yale or something? Ready to give those up because the last original idea this school had led to legends jerseys. Maybe bo didn't win NC's but he won...consistently.

The only award worth a damn is the NC.

This is the mindset that leads to tatgate; and the facsimiles thereof.

The primary award worth a damn - or should be, at least in the view of the University President, the Athletic Director and the Head Football Coach - is the being awarded the Degree of Graduation from the University of Michigan to the scholarship athlete.

Even to athletes whose best choice is to capitalize on their talents if they can professionally, and go pro - come back to Michigan after you do so, and achieve academic achievement if that would be your choice.

Of course, the highest level of team athletic achievement away from the classroom devoted to the pursuit of Intercollegiate Athletics - of course those are worth a damn.

This is the mindset that leads to tatgate; and the facsimiles thereof.

The primary award worth a damn - or should be, at least in the view of the University President, the Athletic Director and the Head Football Coach - is the being awarded the Degree of Graduation from the University of Michigan to the scholarship athlete.

Even to athletes whose best choice is to capitalize on their talents if they can professionally, and go pro - come back to Michigan after you do so, and achieve academic achievement if that would be your choice.

Of course, the highest level of team athletic achievement away from the classroom devoted to the pursuit of Intercollegiate Athletics - of course those are worth a damn.

Well if they want to give out helmet stickers for grades, THAT I would be behind 100%.

Well if they want to give out helmet stickers for grades, THAT I would be behind 100%.

You have a point - and back in the helmet sticker days maybe they did.

Let's both Twitter out to coach Jim about this - that's the very next thing I'm aboot to do.

Back