Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Keith Law's (ESPN) top 5 MVP ballot

Mike Trout WAR: 8.1; OPS+ 180
oWAR: 6.4
dWAR: 1.7

Miguel Cabrera WAR: 5.2; OPS+ 159 [significantly lower than the last 2 seasons]
oWAR: 5.3
dWAR: 0.2

And before someone suggests MVP is not about defense, remember who won last year.

I'd love for Cabrera to win an MVP, I believe he's the best pure hitter in baseball, but this year, Trout has him beat. So far.

+1,000,000

Believe me, Miggy is my Tiger. I LOVE watching him hit. I love the attitude he plays with. I love that comercial with him...."did I say I love to hit".

But Trout is the MVP right now.

"And before someone suggests MVP is not about defense, remember who won last year."

Umm, JV? Lol.

Well, its not just about the numbers or else why have a vote. Why did Hamilton win. But August and Sept. should matter more to 2nd place teams trying to get to the playoffs, than games in April and May.

No idea what will happen in 6 weeks but Miggy is much more clutch this time of the year.

He has 6 weeks to change a lot of minds then.

I hope he does it.

Well, its not just about the numbers or else why have a vote. Why did Hamilton win. But August and Sept. should matter more to 2nd place teams trying to get to the playoffs, than games in April and May.

No idea what will happen in 6 weeks but Miggy is much more clutch this time of the year.

Hamilton won in '10 because he was on a playoff team [WS team in fact], and Cabrera was not. Plain and simple.

I'm not saying Cabrera can't overtake him is Trout struggles the rest of the way, or that Cabrera won't win....but right now, Trout is the MVP.

Hamilton won in '10 because he was on a playoff team [WS team in fact], and Cabrera was not. Plain and simple.

I'm not saying Cabrera can't overtake him is Trout struggles the rest of the way, or that Cabrera won't win....but right now, Trout is the MVP.

Votes were in way before WS came. And that might matter but not by much, he batted like shit in September.

"And before someone suggests MVP is not about defense, remember who won last year."

Umm, JV? Lol.

Yes. Proving it's not only about triple crown and power numbers.

There are some who suggest Trouts defense should not be a factor, arguing that that's what Gold Gloves are for.

And for the record, SB are not overrated, a guy who can put himself into scoring position 37 times a year by himself is anything but overrated.

Hamilton won that year because he's a pretty white boy who was a "good story" that year for managing to not snort a ton of coke for once, and because he played for a big market, "good story" team that year. miggy got FUCKED that year.

Yes. Proving it's not only about triple crown and power numbers.

There are some who suggest Trouts defense should not be a factor, arguing that that's what Gold Gloves are for.

And for the record, SB are not overrated, a guy who can put himself into scoring position 37 times a year by himself is anything but overrated.

Anyone that knows baseball knows SB are overrated. Because he didn't score all those 38 times. And when he did he was scoring on a lot of those anyway, a hr, a double in the next at bat or a couple singles.

Speed is great, SB not so much. His defense should count though, I agree there.

AJ has been just about as valuable as Miggy, the only reason Miggy even has an argument over him is because Jackson went on the DL, otherwise he'd be the clear MVP of the Tigers.

As of right now though, even factoring in Cabrera's GP advantage, it's pretty much a tossup between the two of them.

He smokes trout in HR and even more in RBI. I think because Trout has been getting so much attention I bet some voters already made their mind up. You remember when Hamilton won after an awful Sept? Should have been a shoo-in for Miggy.

The year you're speaking about is 2010 right??

You realize Miggy hit .256 in Sept/Oct in 2010??? You aren't exactly helping your argument.

AJ has been just about as valuable as Miggy, the only reason Miggy even has an argument over him is because Jackson went on the DL, otherwise he'd be the clear MVP of the Tigers.

As of right now though, even factoring in Cabrera's GP advantage, it's pretty much a tossup between the two of them.

A little while we had a thread about that and I went AJ as well. He's been huge but Miggy has caught up.

The year you're speaking about is 2010 right??

You realize Miggy hit .256 in Sept/Oct in 2010??? You aren't exactly helping your argument.

When I said clutch I meant now but I also didn't realize what Miggy did in 2010. I still think he got hosed.

After reading so many articles and the comp numbers all counting and sabr, hate to say it, but trout is having a bit better year....but for keith law not to have Cabrera in his top 5, well what do expect from a pig but a grunt.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8...ustin-verlander-other-mvp-cy-young-candidates
MLB award watch 2012.
Taking stock of major awards three-quarters of the way through the season.
ESPN SportsNation Voting is within link if you want to and haven't yet voted for Cabrera, Verlander, or another player.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/a...s_det&c_id=det
Miguel Cabrera's MVP chances hinge on closing stretch.
from the Tigers official site

A big problem is how many fans/media/people go by what the espn writers/regulars like klaw say as if it was gospel. For keith law keeping Cabrera off his top 5 is an insult, ignorant, and ridiculous. The 'national' soapbox pulpit many espn scribes use to push for their team or player is an unfair advantage. Counting stats as well as the sabr stat numbers should all be used. Media members that act so condescending like keith law are full of themselves, and he has a face made for radio.
from comment section

Last edited:
1. Trout
2. Cabrera
3. Verlander
4. Hernandez
5. Cano

Last edited:
Is this some kinda joke thread or something, what kind of an idiot has a top 5 mvp list that doesn't include Miguel Cabrera whom is in the top 5 in all major offensive categories. Is this guy walking around in a drunken stupor or something?

Mike Trout WAR: 8.1; OPS+ 180
oWAR: 6.4
dWAR: 1.7

Miguel Cabrera WAR: 5.2; OPS+ 159 [significantly lower than the last 2 seasons]
oWAR: 5.3
dWAR: 0.2

And before someone suggests MVP is not about defense, remember who won last year.

I'd love for Cabrera to win an MVP, I believe he's the best pure hitter in baseball, but this year, Trout has him beat. So far.

someone explain to me how Miggys oWAR is only 5.3....shit should be like 30 lol

Last edited:
I remember sometime back a year ago or so I got into it with some Minnesota smuck on the espn mb who insisted that Law was/is some brilliant Ivy League guy. LOL. Anyway, this is all you need to know about Law. btw, this may be one of the few times I disagree with good old KC/Ron. Cannot see the Trout kid as beating out Miggy, not unless more NY & LA 'Coast' writers vote than midwest guys. IDK, but seems to me that when one guy plays only part of the season (even if 85%), he ought to lose to a guy who goes out day after day. May not be fair, but injuries or call ups are part of the game and -- unless MC gets badly injured or goes into some tailspin -- I can't see Trout beating him out. Really can't.

I remember sometime back a year ago or so I got into it with some Minnesota smuck on the espn mb who insisted that Law was/is some brilliant Ivy League guy. LOL. Anyway, this is all you need to know about Law. btw, this may be one of the few times I disagree with good old KC/Ron. Cannot see the Trout kid as beating out Miggy, not unless more NY & LA 'Coast' writers vote than midwest guys. IDK, but seems to me that when one guy plays only part of the season (even if 85%), he ought to lose to a guy who goes out day after day. May not be fair, but injuries or call ups are part of the game and -- unless MC gets badly injured or goes into some tailspin -- I can't see Trout beating him out. Really can't.

So you're saying that you don't think they'll give the award this year to a guy who is going to play around 140 games a year after they gave the same award to a guy (JV) who played in 34 games???

Hmmmmmmm

Back