Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mike Valenti's Rant about the Lions

monday-night-football-memes_10.jpg

I like him because he gives a certain outsiders type perspective that isn't sunshine and lollipops. Because of that I feel like he has a lot of people that hate him too. Great rant though, I don't think I disagreed with any of it.

Last edited:
I never listened to him before now but the one thing people bring up is that fact he's not a fan of the team, and though he might be right with his rant - outside of that rant he doesn't care and it's over for him until he decided to rant again.

I never listened to him before now but the one thing people bring up is that fact he's not a fan of the team, and though he might be right with his rant - outside of that rant he doesn't care and it's over for him until he decided to rant again.

So his rant loses meaning because he's not a die hard fan of the team?

People said Schwartz had to go because he was a hot head that lost his cool and that lead to an undisciplined team. Fans and the talking heads were talking about how we needed more discipline and how we need to keep our cool.

So in the predictable way, we went with a coach that is the complete opposite of Schwartz. Now people are saying we need to flip out more, have a meaner streak.

When you lose whatever you are doing is wrong, just the way sports are.

People said Schwartz had to go because he was a hot head that lost his cool and that lead to an undisciplined team. Fans and the talking heads were talking about how we needed more discipline and how we need to keep our cool.

So in the predictable way, we went with a coach that is the complete opposite of Schwartz. Now people are saying we need to flip out more, have a meaner streak.

When you lose whatever you are doing is wrong, just the way sports are.

People are not calling for the Lions to commit more penalties and play dirty football though. That is what people didn't like under Schwartz. A lot of people just want a more vocal response from Caldwell and other members of Lions management about repeatedly getting the shaft by the league. Otherwise it will just continue to happen as Valenti points out. That's just standing up for yourself. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
People are not calling for the Lions to commit more penalties and play dirty football though. That is what people didn't like under Schwartz. A lot of people just want a more vocal response from Caldwell and other members of Lions management about repeatedly getting the shaft by the league. Otherwise it will just continue to happen as Valenti points out. That's just standing up for yourself. Nothing wrong with that.

Caldwell may very well have said something to the league or filed a formal complaint. Some people just want him to lash out in the media for the show. What does that accomplish? You can stand up for yourself with out publicly lashing out.

Are you trying to say more calls will be incorrectly made because the Lions didn't flip out about this more in the post game conference, or on TV after the fact?

Caldwell may very well have said something to the league or filed a formal complaint. Some people just want him to lash out in the media for the show. What does that accomplish? You can stand up for yourself with out publicly lashing out.

Are you trying to say more calls will be incorrectly made because the Lions didn't flip out about this more in the post game conference, or on TV after the fact?

Whether or not the refs make more incorrect or correct calls is not the main point. Sure you hope they do, but inevitably we will see more blown calls because the refs are human beings. The point is in the eyes of the public the Lions appear to not mind being crapped on by the NFL over and over again. Who is going to respect an organization like that? Aren't you tired of being a laughingstock?

We don't know what discussions go on behind closed doors and maybe you're right perhaps Caldwell did have a private fiery discussion with the league. But we just don't know whether that did or did not happen. A more public rant would have been nice to see, because it sends the message that the Lions organization is tired of putting up with type of treatment. We are tired of being a joke to the rest of the league and to the nation.

Would it have fixed anything? Probably not. But its better than just quietly letting someone bend you over and have their way with you time and time again.

Expecting Calvin to lash out????

Idiot.

A. Not Calvin's job.
2. Not Calvin's personality.
D. Not gonna matter.

I do agree with the part of his point that the Lions consistently get the shaft because we don't raise hell.

I don't think its a coincidence that the teams getting the calls are some of the leagues darling teams......Cowboys......Seahawks.....

There is little......and I mean LITTLE chance this would happen against the Cowboys/Patriots/Steelers.......because the teams and it's fan base would absolutely DEMAND an answer.......and the Lions/Ford's will not.

Lions are a laughing stock because they are consistently bad. They have a QB that can't hit an open WR 15 yards down the field. They can't run the ball. They score 3 points on offense in 60 minutes. They never beat anyone on the road. They consistently fail on draft picks.

They aren't a laughing stock because they don't raise hell after a bad call.

In the fail mary game, McCarthy had pretty much the same reaction as Caldwell did. They still turned out ok.

The leagues ultimate revenue source (Cowboys) got screwed out of a game on a bad call last year. Bad calls happen. Its part of sports.

On a side note:
Anyone else have forum issues last couple days? A number a times I've gotten a page loading error when browsing through the forum. Or a security token missing error when trying to post a message.

On a side note:
Anyone else have forum issues last couple days? A number a times I've gotten a page loading error when browsing through the forum. Or a security token missing error when trying to post a message.

Yep same here

On a side note:

Yep same here

Ditto. I figured it was increased traffic from Goodell and his goons to laugh at our misfortune causing the site to have issues.

He is right .. our ownership of is the real problem . I agree with his rant...

I sent this to everyone I know, he's so right, the lions have no respect from the top down nor do they demand such..these guys have no fire what so ever "lionized"

They aren't hungry, the fans are, wish they were to

Last edited:
Yes.

And not only is he not a die hard fan, he doesn't even like the Lions. He gets paid to rant.

I may be dumb, but I don't follow your logic.... If anything I feel his not being a fan of the team increases the validity of his statements... Yes, he gets paid to rant, but he usually is spot on.

I may be dumb, but I don't follow your logic.... If anything I feel his not being a fan of the team increases the validity of his statements... Yes, he gets paid to rant, but he usually is spot on.

You might have realized sometimes I don't say things well enough to understand. Lol.

But I never said I disagreed with him, in my first post you can see that. I disagreed with that fact he gives a shit.. Which in fact he doesn't. Nothing less nothing more.

Back