Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mock Drafts

I am hoping they draft Taco Charlton as well. I saw J.D's mock draft on the NFL network had Detroit taking Takarist McKinley DE/LB. He is a good player no doubt, but Charlton to me seems like a much better fit.

McShay 3.0

With the NFL combine behind us, pro days and individual workouts are next up on the schedule for teams evaluating players for the 2017 NFL draft.

We made some updates to our board after seeing the measurements and athletic testing results from most of the top prospects in Indianapolis, and we continue to adjust players' grades as we complete their tape evaluations. We also came away from Indianapolis with some more ideas on the direction teams could go with their picks.

Here is my third projection of the 32 first-round picks in the draft.

An important note: I'm a big fan of CB Sidney Jones, but he's not included in this mock draft after suffering what looks to be a serious leg injury at Washington's pro day last week. Some team will get a steal on Day 2 if Jones returns to full health.

1. Cleveland Browns

Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M

The Browns shouldn't overthink this: Garrett is the best pure pass-rusher -- and one of the best overall athletes -- in the draft. His freakish combine numbers (4.64 40-yard dash and a 41-inch vertical at 272 pounds) cemented his status as the No. 1 overall pick, in my opinion. Garrett can fit into any scheme. He's a transcendent-type player.

2. San Francisco 49ers

Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley aren't long-term answers at quarterback, but them signing with San Francisco may free up the 49ers to take a top-tier talent like Thomas here before drafting a developmental QB on Day 2. With a good combination of quickness and power, Thomas would be a good fit for the defense Robert Saleh hopes to build out West.

3. Chicago Bears

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

Quarterback isn't quite as pressing of a need after the addition of Mike Glennon in free agency, so the Bears can take a similar approach to what I laid out above for the 49ers. Adams is one of the few players with an elite grade in this year's class. A big hitter with impressive range versus the run, the LSU product can play in the box and back deep. He has excellent intangibles and would immediately make the Bears' secondary better.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

After spending big on defense two offseasons in a row, I think the Jaguars will use their first-rounder this season to improve QB Blake Bortles' supporting cast. RB Leonard Fournette is an option here, but I opted for Howard, who has had a spectacular pre-draft process, standing out during Senior Bowl practices and combine testing (4.51 40 at 251 pounds). Howard profiles as a big-play threat in the NFL and an underrated blocker.

5. Tennessee Titans (from Rams)

Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama

Allen didn't test well at the combine, but he's a much better football player than his workout numbers would indicate. While some long-term concerns regarding his shoulder might cause him to fall, the Titans have the luxury of taking the best player on their board with this pick, since they also own the 18th selection. Allen would slide right in and start opposite Jurrell Casey at the 5-technique spot.

6. New York Jets

Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

The Jets' quarterback situation is still unsettled, but Jay Cutler remains unsigned and could be a bridge to 2016 second-round pick Christian Hackenberg or TBD 2017 draftee. Durability issues are a concern with Lattimore -- he suffered two separate hamstring injuries in 2014 and 2015 -- but he has the potential to develop into a cornerback who takes away an opponent's top target each Sunday

7. Los Angeles Chargers

Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

A rangy safety with elite ball skills, Hooker is a perfect fit for Gus Bradley's defense, which features a lot of Cover 3 and zone coverage. Hooker is one of the five best prospects in this class, but it's unclear whether he'll be able to work out for teams prior to the draft after having offseason surgery on his labrum.

8. Carolina Panthers

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

Fournette weighed in at 240 pounds and he's a violent, powerful runner on tape. That kind of skill set would fit nicely in the Panthers' downhill power-run offense. Fournette has elite straight-line explosiveness for his size (4.51 40) that will translate well to the next level.

9. Cincinnati Bengals

Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

The Bengals like high-production players from the highest level of college football, and they don't shy away from drafting players with some character red flags. Foster, who was sent home early from the combine and is a true three-down linebacker, certainly fits the profile. He has some of the best tape of anyone in this class, and he shows great range versus the run.

10. Buffalo Bills

Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

The departure of Stephon Gilmore makes cornerback a much bigger need for Buffalo, but with Florida's Teez Tabor running a bad 40 at the combine (4.62) and Washington's Sidney Jones injuring his left leg at his pro day, there's less top-end talent at that position than originally expected. Davis has yet to run the 40-yard dash (he's nursing an ankle injury), but I expect him to be in the 4.4s based on his tape. He also has great size (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) and ball skills.

11. New Orleans Saints

Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

After trading away Brandin Cooks to the Patriots, New Orleans now has three of the top 42 picks in this draft and five of the top 103. They used their first four selections last year on defense, but still need help on that side, even after signing Alex Okafor, who's a solid player but does not solve their need for another pass-rusher. Barnett racked up incredible production in his three seasons at Tennessee (52 tackles for loss and 33 sacks). He uses his hands well as a pass-rusher, and he has the athleticism to drop into coverage occasionally.

12. Cleveland Browns (from Eagles)

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

I'm not convinced Cleveland will use this pick on a quarterback, but it would make some sense, especially after landing Garrett at No. 1 overall. Watson will need time adjust to a pro-style system, but he has the tools to grow into a good starter in the NFL if developed and utilized properly.

13. Arizona Cardinals

Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

If Alabama LB Reuben Foster falls more than expected, he would be a great pick here. But after losing three defensive backs in free agency, cornerback is another possibility. White would give Arizona a physical, instinctive press-man corner to lineup opposite of Patrick Peterson.

14. Philadelphia Eagles (from Vikings)

Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

McCaffrey has a ton of versatility: He can handle 10 or so carries per game, catch passes as a slot receiver and contribute in the return game. He had an exceptional week at the combine, showing off his straight-line speed and short-area quickness. McCaffrey's elite character could be the tiebreaker with Florida State RB Dalvin Cook for some teams.

15. Indianapolis Colts

Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky

Rebuilding the offensive and defensive lines has to be a priority for the Colts. Edge rushers such as Takkarist McKinley or Charles Harris could make sense here, but Lamp is the best all-around offensive lineman in this draft. He played left tackle in college, but projects as a guard in the NFL. Flip on his tape against Alabama. This kid is for real.

16. Baltimore Ravens

John Ross, WR, Washington

If the Ravens opt to take a second first-round wide receiver in three years, they'd have a tough decision between the electric speed of Ross and the size/jump-ball ability of Mike Williams. Ross' tape shows his 4.22 40 is no fluke, and his savvy route-running ability and reliable hands make him a great all-around prospect.

17. Washington Redskins

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

Some character red flags and a deep running back class could lead to Cook falling a bit, but he's far too talented to drop out of the first round. Running back is a big need for the Redskins, and Cook is an explosive playmaker who's also an adept pass-catcher out of the backfield. He looks like a true three-down back in the NFL.

18. Tennessee Titans

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

I'll be at Clemson's pro day on Thursday, and I'm interested to see what Williams runs in the 40-yard dash after sitting out the drill at the combine. On tape, he shows great hands and the ability to win contested catches. The one remaining question is: What's his true top-end speed? Running a 4.55 or better would be a win for Williams.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.)

Bucs TE Cameron Brate had a breakout 2016 campaign with 660 yards and eight touchdowns, but Njoku's athleticism is on a different level. At the combine, he ran a 4.70 40 and jumped out of the gym 37.5-inch vertical and an 11-foot, 1-inch broad jump. Njoku would give Tampa a formidable two-TE set.

20. Denver Broncos

Garett Bolles, OT, Utah

Bolles has just one year of major college experience, but he's the most athletic left tackle prospect in this class and he plays with an edge. He has a lot of tools to develop, and after signing G Ronald Leary and OT Menelik Watson in free agency, Denver might have the time to bring him along properly.

21. Detroit Lions

Charles Harris, DE/OLB, Missouri

A twitchy athlete off the edge, Harris is just scratching the surface as a pass-rusher. He led the SEC with 18.5 tackles for loss in 2015 and finished this past season on a tear (5.5 sacks, six quarterback hurries and a forced fumble in his final four games). Ezekiel Ansah can't be the only pass-rushing threat in Detroit.

22. Miami Dolphins

Haason Reddick, LB, Temple

Reddick has absolutely crushed the pre-draft process. He had a great week at the Senior Bowl, showing that he has the speed, change-of-direction skills and instincts to play an off-the-ball linebacker role in the pros. And then he posted elite numbers at the combine (4.52 40 and 11-foot, 1-inch broad jump). It would now be an upset if he fell out of Round 1.

23. New York Giants

Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

With Eli Manning turning 36, don't be surprised if the Giants draft a QB at some point in this draft. But that's more likely to come in the middle rounds. Ramczyk is dealing with a hip injury, so the medical recheck in April will factor into where he's selected. But if everything comes up good, Ramczyk has the length and mirroring ability to finally answer the Giants' problems at left tackle.

24. Oakland Raiders

Kevin King, CB, Washington

With Florida's Teez Tabor running a slow 40 at the combine and Washington's Sidney Jones suffering a leg injury at his pro day, there's suddenly plenty of room for other cornerbacks to move up the board. King and Ohio State's Gareon Conley are two fast risers. King's tape is good, and his workout numbers are even better. At 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, King ran a 4.43 40 and posted a 39.5-inch vertical jump.

25. Houston Texans

Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

The Texans are still in the mix for Tony Romo, but if they're unable to land him, they'll be in the market for a quarterback after trading Brock Osweiler last week. Trubisky would be good value here. I love his pocket presence and accuracy, but have concerns about some of the critical errors he made, including two bad interceptions versus Stanford.

26. Seattle Seahawks

Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

This would be a good fit for both sides. Pete Carroll can get the most out of McDowell, who has elite traits but subpar maturity and work ethic. He might be the most talented interior defensive lineman in this class, but he needs to land in the right spot.

27. Kansas City Chiefs

Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee

Kamara is a perfect fit for Andy Reid's scheme. He runs with great determination/physicality, and he created a ton of yards on his own at Tennessee, which you always look for in running backs. Plus, he's more than capable of contributing in the passing game.

28. Dallas Cowboys

Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

Charlton is just a solid all-around player -- he can get after the QB and stop the run -- and Dallas could use a few more of those along the defensive line. He has always had the raw ability, but this past season he showed more consistency and refined technique, finishing the season on a tear (10 sacks in his final 10 games).

29. Green Bay Packers

Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State

Conley had a standout performance at the combine -- 4.44 40 and 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump at 6-foot, 195 pounds. His tape isn't quite that good, but he has a lot of natural ability. The Packers learned last year that you can never have too many capable cornerbacks.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers

Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB, UCLA

At 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, McKinley plays harder than any pass-rusher I've watched in years. He's a lock to make my All-Tape Team this year. He has really long arms (34? inches) and terrific speed (4.59 40), but he hasn't quite figured out how to use his hands. If he develops in that area, he has the ability to be really dangerous off the edge.

31. Atlanta Falcons

Cam Robinson, OL, Alabama

Guard might be Robinson's best fit in the NFL, and he'd fill a hole for the Falcons at that position. Robinson doesn't have the most consistent tape, but the lack of elite offensive line prospects in this class could result in him coming off the board in Round 1.

32. New Orleans Saints (from Patriots)

Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

Playing in a division against Mike Evans, Julio Jones and Kelvin Benjamin, the Saints could use a corner with some size. At 6-foot-1?, Wilson has a good length, and he displays strong instincts and outstanding ball skills (14 career pass break-ups and six interceptions).

Maybe this is the year we switch to a 3-4. I believe Austin has some experience in that. I've been wanting a 3-4 defense for years..

It doesn't seem that way with how Spence was talking. attacking 4-3 scheme still.

Ngata and Robinson and Washington could fit. Ansah would probably move to OLB rusher. No ILBs fit but they are starting from scratch anyway there. Worrilow, Williams and Whitehead for sure don't fit. Maybe try Whitehead at OLB. Would need about two more OLBs and two ILBs and one 3-4 DE, maybe 2 too.

Last edited:
Free safety , " roving" lb , kick and punt returner .

With Quin here, he won't be a free safety. And Peppers hasn't been a roving FS for awhile at Michigan and has more to prove as one. Quin is on last year of his deal though but hope he gets extended. Peppers has more to prove to be a deep FS though.

SS/roving LB, Killebrew did that well.

Peppers is a good player but I like Taco or Barnett better. Dline just more important right now with the same BPA level player.

Free safety , " roving" lb , kick and punt returner .

not exactly sure where he'll excell in the NFL but comming from NE Quin has ststed he loves guys that can fill multiple roles. Hed be good value at 21 for sure. Im hoping a DE or LB we like falls to us.

I am on the Haason Reddick train. I don't have any problems with Taco either. I would love to have a playmaker among the LBs.

I think I'm starting to board the Reddick train myself, brother!! Watched an interview with the kid yesterday on the NFLN and he's down to Earth, wants to learn and he's hungry.

Last edited:
not exactly sure where he'll excell in the NFL but comming from NE Quin has ststed he loves guys that can fill multiple roles. Hed be good value at 21 for sure. Im hoping a DE or LB we like falls to us.

I think he excels at FS in the NFL. That and some ST play (PR). I don't think it would be wise to move him all over the place in the NFL. Let him focus on ONE position on the D and play some ST's. Let's be honest, he wasn't productive at Michigan while playing defense. He had one fucking pick his whole college career, ONE! He was a better RB if you ask me. I personally think he had too much on his plate at Michigan. I like the kid, but I honestly don't want him at 21. Now, if they do take him, we now have a better version of Killebrew. (shrugs) ...I'm just not feeling it. I would get on board, but I wouldn't be thrilled until I know what they're going to do with him. Because wherever he goes, there's going to be a shit ton of question marks about where he's playing and that will annoy the fuck outta me lol

I think he excels at FS in the NFL. That and some ST play (PR). I don't think it would be wise to move him all over the place in the NFL. Let him focus on ONE position on the D and play some ST's. Let's be honest, he wasn't productive at Michigan while playing defense. He had one fucking pick his whole college career, ONE! He was a better RB if you ask me. I personally think he had too much on his plate at Michigan. I like the kid, but I honestly don't want him at 21. Now, if they do take him, we now have a better version of Killebrew. (shrugs) ...I'm just not feeling it. I would get on board, but I wouldn't be thrilled until I know what they're going to do with him. Because wherever he goes, there's going to be a shit ton of question marks about where he's playing and that will annoy the fuck outta me lol

Same. Now between Reddick or Taco its a tough call for me:

DE usually provides better value with a round 1 selection. The round 1 Taco conversation is still a bit shocking to me....i watched a lot of michigan football and he never really jumped off the page as a rd 1 talent imo. But i think the pre draft process helped him a lot. Measurables are great, size is great. Id question if he has the skill set to make an impact production wise in the NFL. But....he definitely looks the part.

LB you typically can still get good value in later rounds. Reddick has done a great job making the transition from DE to stand up LB....showing he can cover in space during senior/combine week. Fast as fuck. Hes looks like what levy was supposed to be after he signed his deal and im sure Quin will see him as a high character guy.

Both are major positions of need. If we rill into next year without a starting DE in this draft were probably in trouble. If we roll into next year with Whitehead and 2 stiffs at LB were probably in big trouble. Tough call.....id grab the DE early and hope you get good value at LB in later rounds or after cuts.

Same. Now between Reddick or Taco its a tough call for me:

DE usually provides better value with a round 1 selection. The round 1 Taco conversation is still a bit shocking to me....i watched a lot of michigan football and he never really jumped off the page as a rd 1 talent imo. But i think the pre draft process helped him a lot. Measurables are great, size is great. Id question if he has the skill set to make an impact production wise in the NFL. But....he definitely looks the part.

LB you typically can still get good value in later rounds. Reddick has done a great job making the transition from DE to stand up LB....showing he can cover in space during senior/combine week. Fast as fuck. Hes looks like what levy was supposed to be after he signed his deal and im sure Quin will see him as a high character guy.

Both are major positions of need. If we rill into next year without a starting DE in this draft were probably in trouble. If we roll into next year with Whitehead and 2 stiffs at LB were probably in big trouble. Tough call.....id grab the DE early and hope you get good value at LB in later rounds or after cuts.

I really like McKinley too. Guy is a little small but he's a playmaker.
Saying that, I can't see them drafting anything but d3fense in the first two rds. LB, DE or DE, LB. Still need a CB too. I would love for them to bring Blount or Peterson in here on a one yr fix so they can solely focus on the D.

Last edited:
With Minnesota set at mlb with Kendricks, maybe we can lure them into trading Kentrell Brothers for peanuts. Guy isn't super athletic, but he was my guy heading into last years draft, and is a hell of a football player, with great instincts.

Last edited:
Back