Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

Purdue freshman, Football WR transferring to MSU, and will have a spot as a walk on on MSU basketball.

Last edited:
High 4 star 2023 PG, Jeremy Fears is announcing at 5 today. Has a final 3 of Michigan, Illinois, and MSU. Sounds like MSU is his pick, but it's not over until it's over.

#27 player in the country.

Jeremy Fears commits to MSU. Really nice player. Pure PG who can get to the rack and is a strong leader and great passer. He?s got some toughness to him and is a very good defender. Really good fit. Reminds me of a more athletic Cassius Winston.

Xavier Booker is going to commit to MSU in the next few days. Elite talent, probably a 1 and done. He's the #1 player in the country on Rivals, #3 on 247, and #7 on On3. ESPN hasn't reranked him yet since he blew up, but he'll be top 10 there for sure. Probably will end up a composite top 4 player. Big time get.

Xavier Booker is going to commit to MSU in the next few days. Elite talent, probably a 1 and done. He's the #1 player in the country on Rivals, #3 on 247, and #7 on On3. ESPN hasn't reranked him yet since he blew up, but he'll be top 10 there for sure. Probably will end up a composite top 4 player. Big time get.

sounds like pretty good news. What's the over/under on when he decommits to go to whatever school is the new Louisville or Memphis?

sounds like pretty good news. What's the over/under on when he decommits to go to whatever school is the new Louisville or Memphis?

I think this one is a done deal. He had his chances to pick Duke, Kentucky, or Gonzaga, but is all Green. 6-11, 215 lbs, can do it all. Anthony Davis is the comparison. Very good length, can shoot, and can defend. Can handle the ball well too. 7-4 wingspan.

On3 actually has him 6th, when ESPN gets around to updating their recruiting rankings, he very well could be the highest ranked recruit Izzo has landed since Zach Randolph. He's ready to be a star on Day 1.

Fears broke out in the U17 worlds and is a flat out stud too. We'll likely be looking for a wing to complete the 3 man class.

I think this one is a done deal. He had his chances to pick Duke, Kentucky, or Gonzaga, but is all Green. 6-11, 215 lbs, can do it all. Anthony Davis is the comparison. Very good length, can shoot, and can defend. Can handle the ball well too. 7-4 wingspan.

On3 actually has him 6th, when ESPN gets around to updating their recruiting rankings, he very well could be the highest ranked recruit Izzo has landed since Zach Randolph. He's ready to be a star on Day 1.

Fears broke out in the U17 worlds and is a flat out stud too. We'll likely be looking for a wing to complete the 3 man class.

It looks like a nice pickup - hopefully it sticks. Until then, I'm most curious/interested to see what kind of progress Akins and Brooks make next year and hopeful that this Holloman kid can compete for real time. We have Walker for another year, which is great and Hoggard showed some flashes but I'd really like to see Akins and Holloman develop and stuck around - it would nice to have a few years of not having undersized PGs.

Obviously, we have bigger needs up front - I'm not expecting a whole lot of progress out of Sissoko and from what I can see we didn't get anything out of the portal this year (doesn't seem like there's any transfers that haven't committed still available). Losing Marble is going to hurt.

Last edited:
ESPN said today when they update their rankings at the end of Summer, Booker will be top 10 for sure, maybe very high in the top 10. Probably will be composite 3rd overall. Izzo really built trust with he and his family. He?s a 1 and done for sure though.

ESPN said today when they update their rankings at the end of Summer, Booker will be top 10 for sure, maybe very high in the top 10. Probably will be composite 3rd overall. Izzo really built trust with he and his family. He?s a 1 and done for sure though.

Izzo has made a career out of leading early and fading late. So until this kid has enrolled EVERYONE would be right with holding their breathe.

Izzo has made a career out of leading early and fading late. So until this kid has enrolled EVERYONE would be right with holding their breathe.

He?s had very few recruits ever decommit. And none that were locked in line this. The guys in the past were guys that committed out of the blue and were a surprise to everyone. Not worried or holding my breath, this was a long time coming and he?ll be signing with MSU this Fall.

Decommits are rare in general - it?s hard to say anyone has a pattern of it. What we do have is probably an inordinate share of those rare occurrences. Now in the age of NIL, it?s foolish to think the chances of any kid being bid away aren?t much, much higher than they were before. I agree, until the kid is enrolled and on campus, don?t count on it.

It?s better than not having his verbal but it?s more than reasonable to take it with a grain of salt.

Just last year we had 2 5 stars decomitt last year with Emoni and Enoch.

And neither had permission to commit to MSU in the first place. Both were odd out of the blue commitments that the staff weren't even told were going to happen.

Booker is a guy the staff talks to everyday, they pushed hard for his commitment and there's nothing odd about this one.

Some mocks have Booker as the #1 overall pick in the 2024 NBA draft, he's that talented. And the comparison is Anthony Davis.

4 star shooting guard Gehrig Normand is committing to MSU tonight at 7:30. Love this kid's film, 6-6, 175 lbs, Matt McQuaid but a much better athlete. Kid can shoot.

And neither had permission to commit to MSU in the first place. Both were odd out of the blue commitments that the staff weren't even told were going to happen.

Booker is a guy the staff talks to everyday, they pushed hard for his commitment and there's nothing odd about this one.

Some mocks have Booker as the #1 overall pick in the 2024 NBA draft, he's that talented. And the comparison is Anthony Davis.

Not sure what the point is about whether or not they had permission to commit. Does anyone think Bates, the #1 kid in his class didn't have permission and if he didn't, do you think he wouldn't have gotten it? Same for Boakye? Of course they would - it's not like they weren't recruiting them and they just committed out of the blue. And despite not having permission, we accepted both their commitments.

If the #1 recruit in any class doesn't have standing permission to commit to MSU at any time, that needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
2023 4 star SF Coen Carr is committing to MSU Tuesday. 6-7. 200 lbs and probably the most explosive athlete in the class. Better keeper than Miles Bridges. Composite #57 overall player.

Carr is a Spartan.

Here is the scouting report on Carr, per CBS Sports draft expert Adam Finkelstein: "Carr is an extreme athlete and perhaps the most violent leaper in the national class of 2022. He makes the type of momentum changing finishes that can immediately flip the energy of a game, but the crux of his evaluation is whether there is potential to develop beyond that niche. I believe there is. He shows touch, both at the rim as a finisher, as well as at the free-throw line, and when his feet are set and he?s in rhythm, there?s shooting potential to the arc. He already defends bigger guys defensively and moves his feet well enough so that he should have versatility on that end. He?ll even show glimpses of being able to make a quick play with the ball in the open floor. In short, his athleticism is his calling card and that alone makes him a high-major prospect, but I believe there?s potential to be much more than just a finisher down the road."

If all stay committed this is a really strong class. Nice variety like the Winston, Bridges, Langford, Ward class.

Back