Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

I was reading earlier that 5 star DE Jashon Cornell from Minnesota likes us a lot too.

I was reading earlier that 5 star DE Jashon Cornell from Minnesota likes us a lot too.

Yup. Previously thought to be a ND lean, but he named us as his clear #1 after this weekend. Had a great time and Wilm Gholston spent some time with him. Is going to take a couple visits out west and announce in August. Looks very good.

Larry Scott news. MikeWilson@ MikeWScout Hubbard 4 star tailback LJ Scott just told me he's 90% close to committing to Michigan St.

#58 player in the country and #5 RB. Offers from Alabama, Ohio State, and Auburn among others.

He's the #1 RB on our board, the staff is taking at least 2 pure RBs, with Darrin Hall or Mike Weber likely to grab the other spot, although I hear they'd take all 3 of those players.

"I visited Michigan State last weekend for their spring game, and it was my fourth trip up there," Scott stated. "Every time I go there I get closer to committing, and I would say I'm 90% right now. Every time I go there it just gets better and better, and it's starting to feel like family for me at Michigan State."
"I got to meet LeVeon Bell this time, and that was a big thrill being able to speak with him," he added. "I've always admired him as a player, so it was really cool to be able to meet him. I just like everything about Michigan State, and the coaches are great to me. They don't pressure me to commit, but they let me know how much they want me."
"I'm going to go back up there soon, and I want to take my mom up there to see everything," he continued. "It's really possible that the next time I go up there I might be committing, but I have to see how things go. It's going to be tough for any school to top Michigan State for me.

Last edited:
Hmm. Totally a very long shot, but this kid is talking about visiting MSU.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Trenton-Thompson-147564

FSU writer said the 1 school Thompson knows he wants to visit is Michigan State, we also stopped by his school today.

#1 player in Georgia, #1 DT in the country, and, oh yeah, #1 overall recruit in the country. He's been compared to Suh.

I give is less than a 25% chance at a visit, despite what he said. I give us less than 1% chance at landing him.

Edit: I guess Thompson has said some really good things about Michigan State and that he is serious about visiting us and maybe coming here. Hmm, OK, maybe 1% was a little low, make it 2%.

Edit 2: OK, this actually has some legs, Thompson has said he is visting MSU and is in the process of setting it up. I would now put our chances at 2.1% in landing him. Still, pretty big deal to get this kid on campus.

Last edited:
Hmm. Totally a very long shot, but this kid is talking about visiting MSU.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Trenton-Thompson-147564

FSU writer said the 1 school Thompson knows he wants to visit is Michigan State, we also stopped by his school today.

#1 player in Georgia, #1 DT in the country, and, oh yeah, #1 overall recruit in the country. He's been compared to Suh.

I give is less than a 25% chance at a visit, despite what he said. I give us less than 1% chance at landing him.

Edit: I guess Thompson has said some really good things about Michigan State and that he is serious about visiting us and maybe coming here. Hmm, OK, maybe 1% was a little low, make it 2%.

Edit 2: OK, this actually has some legs, Thompson has said he is visting MSU and is in the process of setting it up. I would now put our chances at 2.1% in landing him. Still, pretty big deal to get this kid on campus.

rico beard confirmed, 100% sure he will visit MSU. this reminds me of montravious adams from a few years ago, nice to be on the list but he'll take the SEC money

rico beard confirmed, 100% sure he will visit MSU. this reminds me of montravious adams from a few years ago, nice to be on the list but he'll take the SEC money

Yeah, going to be tough to turn down SEC money, but who knows, other team in the B1G certainly have bagmen, maybe we do too. The improved facilities remove a huge barrier to attracting this type of recruit. We now have just as much to offer as any other school.

Yeah, going to be tough to turn down SEC money, but who knows, other team in the B1G certainly have bagmen, maybe we do too. The improved facilities remove a huge barrier to attracting this type of recruit. We now have just as much to offer as any other school.

Top defense with the best DC in the country and a great schedule

Well, Jayshon Cornell is now considered and MSU lean. If we somehow pulled Thompson we'd have brought in 3 5 stars on the D line in 2 years including McDowell, to go along with 2 high 4 stars in Smith Jr. and Evans, plus whoever else we land in this class. You already have 5 star Lawrence Thomas making an impact on that line too. And Cooper and Calhoun are playing like 5 star talents.

Pretty stacked at D line with or without a guy like Thompson.

The recruit I am most excited about honestly is Enoch Smith Jr. He's already got full grown man strength and excellent athleticism. On film he looks like one of the strngest high school players I've ever seen and he's got plenty of room on his already 275 lb frame to bulk up. I know Evans is the popular pick for early playing time because of his size, but Smith looks more college ready to me, if he's 280+ pounds come the Fall, he's going to see the field.

tough to get too excited about a kid from GA with that offer sheet particularly with the list of similar kids from SEC country we've come in 2nd or 3rd place for recently but it would be huge. I've said it a million times - I'll take a beast in the middle over a similarly talented DE any day. A disruptive force in the middle that can stuff the run and penetrate can do more to make a DE better than the reverse. We may not have bag men but we definitely have the hand shake guys (recall the Auburn DE - I forget his name - who talked about getting $ at from a booster at a camp). But a $500 handshake is nothing like a Tony Soprano envelope or an Ivan Boesky bag...

Last edited:
It's good to get in on some of these highly ranked guys, but only if they're willing to work and be part of the team. We currently have a 5 Star in Lawrence Thomas and he's reportedly one of the most positive guys on the team, he's been hurt a lot and moved around from position to position, but he's been nothing but a hard worker and a team guy. Thomas has enthusiastically played LB, TE, FB, DT, DE, and Special teams since he's been on campus and hasn't complained once. He's going to make a huge impact on the field this year and is a strong leader in practice.

You've got to have leadership to be successful and we have some very strong leaders on the defense starting with Kurtis Drummond and Taiwan Jones. Thomas is a great example to his teammates and Marcus Rush is more of a quiet leader. But the leader of that defense is Shilique Calhoun, he is a vocal guy who also leads by example, it's said that he plays every single play and every single srill in practice like it's the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl. He gets after it, that's why he's been so much more successful in college than the guy he replaced, the next play Calhoun takes off will the his first.

I'll take Plan A targets regardless of stars. I want guys who fit our scheme, are hard workers, and play with a chip on their shoulders. Some of our plan A targets have been 3 star guys and we should be just as happy about them committing too as we will be about a Jayshon Cornell.

Shawn Merriman confirmed a rumor that LB Tyriq Thompson is ready to commit to MSU and that it's coming in the next couple weeks. Would be nice to get another in state guy.

Also confirmed that MSU leads for Cole and Scott. Also said not only do we lead for Weber, but that he would be very suprised if we don't land Weber, cited the strong relationships he has with our staff.

Shaping up to be highly rated class. Hope they're all hard workers so they can show their talents on the field.

Not sure if it's been posted here but Alabi listed a top 3 of MSU, Wisconsin, and Tennessee, one of those competitors $care$ me a little bit

2016 RB Martel Petteway named MSU his leader and said MSU will always be the team to beat for him. He's the top player in the state, #5 RB in the class, top 100, and a high 4 star Recruit.

We lead for Cole, close the deal with him and Petteway and we'll have pulled the top recruit in the state of MI 6 of 7 years. Gholston, Thomas, Burbridge, McDowell, Cole and Petteway. Elmer went to ND from the class of 2013.

Last edited:
Ohio OT Noah Listerman joined the 2015 class today. 6-7, 293 lbs, plan A recruit. Recently offered by Ohio State, offered from Wisconsin, Iowa, and several other B1G schools.

Definitely one of the I linemen at the too of our board.

Saw the listerman commit today, looks like a good player from a good program

MSU offered Nick Conner today and shot to the too of his list. We've been very selective with MLB offers so he must have done very well to earn one.

Michael Weber released a top 3 of MSU, Ohio State, and Wisconsin.

Wow, Sean Sherer (He of the 97% Crystal ball on 247) has great news regarding Chris Clark, the #1 TE in the nation and 5 star recruit. He's crystal balled him to MSU and says he has 2 or 3 sources that say we are the team to beat. Visitin OSU, us, then UM on the 19th 20th and 21st.

Back