Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFC Championship Playoff Game: Lions @ 49ers Thread

grandy

Detroit Lions (12-5) @ San Francisco 49ers (12-5)

Line: SF -7.0
O/U: 51.5

Previews
Pride of Detroit
Yahoo
CBS Sports
ESPN
Niners Nation

Injury Report
Link

Lions
Out
WR Kalif Raymond (knee)
LG Jonah Jackson (knee)

Questionable
Hendon Hooker (tooth)
NB Chase Lucas (illness)

49ers
Questionable
DT Kalia Davis (ankle, IR)
LB Oren Burks (shoulder)

Series History
Link
The Lions are 27-38-1 (regular season) and 1-1 (playoffs) against the 49ers
Last Game: 9/12/2021, 49ers 41 Lions 33
Last Game in San Francisco: 9/16/2018, 49ers 30 Lions 27
Last Win: 12/27/2015, Lions 32 49ers 17
Last Win in San Francisco: 11/2/1975, Lions 28 49ers 17
Last Playoff Game: 12/31/1983, 49ers 24 Lions 23
Last Playoff Win: 12/22/1957, Lions 31 49ers 27
Recent Games: The 49ers have won 11 of the last 12 meetings

Pro Football Focus Grades (Regular + Postseason)

Overall
San Francisco 95.2 (1st)
Detroit 92.8 (5th)

Offense
San Francisco 90.5 (1st)
Detroit 87.7 (2nd)

Pass Offense
Detroit 84.9 (4th)
San Francisco 81.1 (10th)

Pass Blocking
Detroit 69.7 (11th)
San Francisco 55.6 (26th)

Receiving
San Francisco 90.5 (1st)
Detroit 85.5 (3rd)

Rushing
San Francisco 92.2 (2nd)
Detroit 87.5 (9th)

Run Blocking
San Francisco 82.7 (1st)
Detroit 80.2 (2nd)

Defense
San Francisco 89.9 (2nd)
Detroit 71.6 (20th)

Run Defense
Detroit 76.0 (5th)
San Francisco 66.8 (10th)

Tackling
San Francisco 65.0 (6th)
Detroit 46.6 (23rd)

Pass Rush
San Francisco 90.0 (3rd)
Detroit 74.8 (19th)

Coverage
San Francisco 92.4 (3rd)
Detroit 55.4 (29th)

Special Teams
Detroit 84.3 (10th)
San Francisco 68.4 (25th)

Tug of war between the brain and the heart.

If someone made me bet everything I have?..

San Francisco - 37
Lions - 24

I just don?t think we have the defense to stop them. But if anyone can get 60 minutes of inspired football out of these guys?.its Campbell.

The successful formula for us is we need to play with lead or at least keep it a 1 score game. I'm really hoping we can come out and punch them in the mouth at the start and score a TD. But I'm a little worried about the nerves in the beginning of this game...especially with Goff playing in front of family and friends. Hopefully he's dialed in quickly because I don't think we have the luxury of having a slow start. O-Line needs another great game, but missing JJ could be an issue. I can't figure out of we'll run the ball to start or try to get Goff into a rhythm and shock them by attacking their pass defense?

Defense has to continue to get some pressure and hopefully create a turnover or 2. I'm sure SF will utilize screen plays to slow some of that down. Bend don't break and hold them to 3 points a couple of times. We better have a great day tackling.

The pressure is on them. We can do this.

The key is to play the way Lion?s conference rival Green Bay did last week, but instead of losing at the end, winning at the end instead.

Excited for the game tomorrow. Hate having so little football to watch now.

From ESPN

Stat to know: The 49ers have been the toughest team to tackle in the NFL this season, leading the league in yards after contact (95.3 per game). In the NFC Championship Game, the Lions' defense will look to put a stop to that, as it leads the league in yards after contact allowed per game (63.5).

Officiating note: Referee Clete Blakeman's regular-season crew took to heart the NFL's midseason emphasis on offensive offside penalties, throwing a league-high five such flags. It was ranked second in the NFL in flags (53) related to defensive pass coverage: illegal contact, defensive pass interference and defensive holding.

Go Lions ! So nervous I want them to play so good. Pressure has to be on the 49ers. Hopefully Ben and Glenn have great game plans ! I?m sure Dan will have them ready to play ! Like was mentioned above I think we need to play with the lead if at all possible.

Last edited:
Go Lions ! So nervous I want them to play so good. Pressure has to be on the 49ers. Hopefully Ben and Glenn have great game plans ! I?m sure Dan will have them ready to play ! Like was mentioned above I think we need to play with the lead if at all possible.

Lions are definitely playing with house money and all of the pressure is on the 49ers.

https://www.pff.com/news/bet-nfl-co...utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=january_28_2024
NFL Conference Championships Betting Picks: The NFC championship game may not be the shootout the market suggests.
PFF

Why tilt to the run? Detroit has attacked the middle of the field at the highest rate in the NFL and has found great success doing so. However, no defense in the league takes away the heart of the field better than San Francisco's. The way to attack the 49ers is by targeting the outside areas of the field, which is something that Goff has done at the lowest rate in the NFL. With their biggest area of strength essentially neutralized, the Lions likely won't be able to find much success through the air in this game.

This game will come down to our defense getting turnovers and sacks. If we put up goose eggs in bothe categories, we will not win this game. Purdy needs to get hit and get hit often. Our safeties needs to be ball hawking and laying major hits on anyonr stupid enough to cross in front of them.

Hutch and Mcneil combine for 3 sacks, Branch, Iffy, and CJGJ all get sacks and/or turnovers and Lions win 38-21

Could not have asked for better weather for us. Low 70s / high 60s. Only 1% chance of rain. Footing shouldn?t be an issue. Don?t know about wind though.

Glad Deebo is playing. Let?s beat their best?

Reactions: 503
Bang Bang down goes the Niner Gang!!!

Let?s go boys!!!!!

#AllGrit

Grit is a personality trait possessed by individuals who demonstrate passion and perseverance toward a goal despite being confronted by significant obstacles and distractions.

I love this team and everything we?ve been about.

Now let?s fucking go!!!!!

Back