Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

Red Sox have signed two huge free agent deals now, and it makes Bogaerts expendable. We happen to need a good defensive 3B, and Bogaerts fits the bill. He also has a good projected offensive output. This would allow us to move Nick C to a COF spot. We would probably have to give up Price, since Boston wants an ace starter.. but it would allow us to get Bogaerts and years of control over him, and re-sign Max Scherzer. Heck, maybe Boston would throw in Allen Craig, who is certainly an offensive weapon when healthy. They also have a ton of Outfielders that we could use.

Last edited:
It doesnt make Bogaerts expendable, theyre putting Ramirez in the OF.

Nobody from their front office has said that yet. Even if Bogaerts remains their SS, it opens up a trade for Castillo, Cespedes, Craig, Betts etc. I'm willing to bet we would get Cespedes or Craig for cheap. They don't like Yoenis at all, and they've already been trying to unload Craig. They aren't ideal, no...... but they are upgrades.

Not trying to be Mr. Negative, but trade with what?

With DD giving up guys like Travis for Gose, what do we have to deal with that won't just be creating another hole we have to patch?

I agree 100%. We missed out when we traded Fister and have ever since.

My point is why would we trade for an overhyped 1 year rental that does not provide value? At least with Smith he comes with value.

Castellanos has value, but then we would need a 3B. Kinsler, given the right package, could be moved without effecting 2B all that much.

Unfortunately, without trading Castellanos and/or Kinsler, I think DD is done with any significant trades. The cupboard is bare and I doubt he trades any starters.

He has a heartbeat and owns a bat and glove. That would be an upgrade over what we've got right now.

He owns a glove. The bat is suspect for a corner OFer the last 2 years.

75% of the MLB outfielders would be an upgrade over what we have. This is a kin to talking up Robert Fick because he made the All Star team (based on every team having a rep).

You are side-stepping my question. What is your fixation with Cespedes? Why of all the 75% that is better, why him? If it is because BOS will have an influx of OFers. Well, I would take just about any other OFer than Cespedes. Bradley, Victorino, Craig, even Nava has better value.

Sandoval is the 3rd baseman, Hanley is supposed to play leftfield,

Cespedes is probably traded for not wanting to play rightfield,

middlebrooks will most likely be traded for a bag of peanuts, he sucks defensively in case anyone is thinking of him,

Boegarts went down the crapper when they started putting him at 3rd, he hated playing there, even after things settled down he became a different player from 2013 and laying off pitches that were balls or low, something happened with the kid.

Talk here is Betts or Boegart or Brock Holt who seems to be a Zobrist clone might be available.

They asked about the phillies lefthander Cole Hamels and betts and swihart a good catching prospect were asked for by Phil. sox said no.

and by the way, who ever the redsox have doing drafting, is who I would like to see the Tigers get in place of the previous sox guy David Chadd, the Tigers continue to draft low ceiling undisciplined position players.

Last edited:
Yeah, id take most of their OFs over cespedes. Problem is, hes exactly the type of player DD goes for: some defense, no plate discipline, but he can hit some homers!

Yeah, id take most of their OFs over cespedes. Problem is, hes exactly the type of player DD goes for: some defense, no plate discipline, but he can hit some homers!

I still think Allen Craig provides the best value. He's cheap, and when healthy, can put up a OPS near .900. Plays decent enough for LF, and has proven to be a clutch hitter. He could also spell Miggy at 1st. We wouldn't have to give up much at all. Maybe a guy like Robbie Ray or something. Craig also can take a walk. I'd much prefer a Craig/Gose(Davis)/JD Lineup over having both Gose and Davis in the same starting outfield.

Tony Paul detnews, Sorry Tigers fans. A source tells me Detroit will NOT sign Andrew Miller. Dombrowski never even called his agent.

Tigers secret chip option at West Michigan... Just fake his birth certificate from 24 to 20

'Wynton Bernard'
323 .394 .442 .836 45 steals (19cs) Yikes... 45 to 55 walks.
In Grand Rapids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He must have been hurt cause he played a few games for AZ league a few years back.
Maybe another DD steal? How did we end up with him? cant seem to find it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=bernar000wyn

Last edited:
I still think Allen Craig provides the best value. He's cheap, and when healthy, can put up a OPS near .900. Plays decent enough for LF, and has proven to be a clutch hitter. He could also spell Miggy at 1st. We wouldn't have to give up much at all. Maybe a guy like Robbie Ray or something. Craig also can take a walk. I'd much prefer a Craig/Gose(Davis)/JD Lineup over having both Gose and Davis in the same starting outfield.

Craig = Righthanded

Last 3 years Away

.315 OBP .415 SLG .720 OPS (.822 OPS at home)

Career LF = -6.2 UZR/150

Career OF = -1.8 UZR/150

Career Late/Close = .310 OBP .353 SLG .663 OPS

Career Ahead in games = .361 OBP .507 SLG .868 OPS

Career Behind in games = .314 OBP .405 SLG .719 OPS

Craig is owed $26.5 Mil over the next 3 years. Where is the value?

30 teams x 9 hitters = 270. There are 252 MLB hitters with at least 650 PA against RHP over the last 3 years.

3. Mi. Cabrera .391 OBP .593 SLG .984 OPS
16. P. Fielder .401 OBP .494 SLG .895 OPS
20. V. Martinez .388 OBP .483 SLG .871 OPS
24. M. Cuddyer .355 OBP .510 SLG .865 OPS
28. A. LaRoche .366 OBP .482 SLG .849 OPS
31. L. Duda .362 OBP .482 SLG .844 OPS
32. A. Ethier .375 OBP .467 SLG .842 OPS
39. D. Nava .391 OBP .436 SLG .827 OPS
49. M. Kemp .340 OBP .473 SLG .813 OPS

60. Me. Cabrera .355 OBP .440 SLG .795 OPS
63. S. Smith .351 OBP .441 SLG .792 OPS
68. C. Rasmus .314 OBP .476 SLG .790 OPS
71. C. Headley .362 OBP .425 SLG .787 OPS
74. B. Zobrist .362 OBP .420 SLG .782 OPS
77. M. Joyce .355 OBP .427 SLG .782 OPS
81. T. Hunter .330 OBP .450 SLG .780 OPS
83. A. Pagan .352 OBP .427 SLG .779 OPS
86. J. Upton .333 OBP .441 SLG .774 OPS
87. A. Dirks .346 OBP .429 SLG .774 OPS
98. Y. Cespedes .310 OBP .460 SLG .770 OPS
105. M. Morse .319 OBP .446 SLG .765 OPS
107. E. Longoria .322 OBP .439 SLG .761 OPS
108. A. Avila .351 OBP .410 SLG .761 OPS
109. B. Gardner .338 OBP .423 SLG .761 OPS
113. B. Butler .347 OBP .411 SLG .758 OPS
114. J.D. Martinez .319 OBP .439 SLG .758 OPS
117. C. Granderson .322 OBP .435 SLG .757 OPS
125. N. Markakis .343 OBP .408 SLG .751 OPS

127. A. Jackson .336 OBP .415 SLG .751 OPS
128. A. Craig .341 OBP .408 SLG .748 OPS
*131. R. Martin .340 OBP .406 SLG .746 OPS
150. J. Peralta .318 OBP .412 SLG .730 OPS
155. M. Byrd .304 OBP .424 SLG .728 OPS
156. M. Trumbo .296 OBP .430 SLG .726 OPS
158. N. Aoki .346 OBP .380 SLG .726 OPS
*161. B. McCann .311 OBP .414 SLG .725 OPS
176. I. Kinsler .308 OBP .399 SLG .707 OPS
180. D. Young .299 OBP .405 SLG .704 OPS
*190. M. Wieters .295 OBP .396 SLG .691 OPS
196. O. Infante .311 OBP .376 SLG .687 OPS
200. S. Victorino .312 OBP .371 SLG .683 OPS

216. B.J. Upton .281 OBP .382 SLG .663 OPS
218. D. Jeter .323 OBP .339 SLG .662 OPS
243. E. Bonifacio .300 OBP .322 SLG .622 OPS
244. R. Davis .286 OBP .333 SLG .618 OPS

Careers vs RHP

N. Castellanos .300 OBP .399 SLG .699 OPS
A. Gose .316 OBP .350 SLG .666 OPS

Understand that these numbers ARE NOT park adjusted. If a player cannot have at least a .320 OBP against RHP, then I don't want them on the team. That has never changed over the years

Tigers secret chip option at West Michigan... Just fake his birth certificate from 24 to 20

'Wynton Bernard'
323 .394 .442 .836 45 steals (19cs) Yikes...BB walks.
In Grand Rapids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He must have been hurt cause he played a few games for AZ league a few years back.
Maybe another DD steal? How did we end up with him? cant seem to find it.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=bernar000wyn

Bernard was released by SDP in January 2014 and signed by DET in February 2014.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/detroit...42755/wynton-bernard-detroit-tigers-prospects

He needs another year to determine if 2014 was a fluke.

He owns a glove. The bat is suspect for a corner OFer the last 2 years.

75% of the MLB outfielders would be an upgrade over what we have. This is a kin to talking up Robert Fick because he made the All Star team (based on every team having a rep).

You are side-stepping my question. What is your fixation with Cespedes? Why of all the 75% that is better, why him? If it is because BOS will have an influx of OFers. Well, I would take just about any other OFer than Cespedes. Bradley, Victorino, Craig, even Nava has better value.
"75% of the MLB outfielders would be an upgrade over what we have." - That's pretty much my point. We need to fix that, but DD seems to be sitting on his hands while some of these guys come off the board. I liked the idea of getting HanRam and moving Nick C. to RF (or trading him), but that ship has sailed now.

Don't mistake my simple suggestion of a Cespedes trade for a fixation. I'm in no way a Cespedes slappy. That said, I do think a bit higher of him than you appear to. I think he's one of those spark plug kind of players whose value is higher than his stats. A lot of the newer Cuban players seem to play that way... hustlers, dirt bags, gritty, disruptive, or whatever other adjective you want to use. They can be spectacularly good on one play and spectacularly bad on the next (Puig is the epitomy of that). I don't think it's a real coincidence that the A's tanked after trading him away. I'm also not surprised that he hasn't really fit in with the Red Sox given that team's recent chemistry issues. I think that's why you'll see Cespedes bounce from team to team until he finds somewhere he's really comfortable.

Stat-wise, Cespedes has consistently put up mid-20 HR and 80-100 RBIs since coming to MLB. He's also got a +9.6 WAR and 3.5 WAA in three years. That's nothing to sneeze at. There may be better and possibly cheaper options than a Cespedes trade, but I don't hate the idea. I think that given what I've read on his fit in Boston, and their new found glut of OFs, that the Red Sox may sell low on the guy. It's worth kicking the tire on is all I'm really saying.

"75% of the MLB outfielders would be an upgrade over what we have." - That's pretty much my point. We need to fix that, but DD seems to be sitting on his hands while some of these guys come off the board. I liked the idea of getting HanRam and moving Nick C. to RF (or trading him), but that ship has sailed now.

Don't mistake my simple suggestion of a Cespedes trade for a fixation. I'm in no way a Cespedes slappy. That said, I do think a bit higher of him than you appear to. I think he's one of those spark plug kind of players whose value is higher than his stats. A lot of the newer Cuban players seem to play that way... hustlers, dirt bags, gritty, disruptive, or whatever other adjective you want to use. They can be spectacularly good on one play and spectacularly bad on the next (Puig is the epitomy of that). I don't think it's a real coincidence that the A's tanked after trading him away. I'm also not surprised that he hasn't really fit in with the Red Sox given that team's recent chemistry issues. I think that's why you'll see Cespedes bounce from team to team until he finds somewhere he's really comfortable.

Stat-wise, Cespedes has consistently put up mid-20 HR and 80-100 RBIs since coming to MLB. He's also got a +9.6 WAR and 3.5 WAA in three years. That's nothing to sneeze at. There may be better and possibly cheaper options than a Cespedes trade, but I don't hate the idea. I think that given what I've read on his fit in Boston, and their new found glut of OFs, that the Red Sox may sell low on the guy. It's worth kicking the tire on is all I'm really saying.

Sandwich him in-between MC and Victor and that is a nice 345 with JD batting 6th.. I bet he would see a ton of good pitches...

He does have a cannon for a arm.. 16 assist last year.

Last edited:
Back