Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

I know it's still early but hoping for someone else by now. Half of an CF, maybe 3/4 - mostly defense isn't going to be good enough of an improvement.

I know it's still early but hoping for someone else by now. Half of an CF, maybe 3/4 - mostly defense isn't going to be good enough of an improvement.

The way I look at it is as of now they have one corner OF, a platoon for CF and 4 starting pitchers.

Still need:

2 arms for pen
1 starter
1 corner OF
maybe a SS

What are the Red Sux doing? They have offers out to Sandoval and HanRam in the 5yrs @ $100mil each. That's gonna make for a really ugly defensive infield on the left side if they plan on having them as 3B and SS. I guess they are gonna go for the win with the 3 run HR plan having Napoli, Cespedes, Ortiz, and now possibly Sandoval and HanRam.

What are the Red Sux doing? They have offers out to Sandoval and HanRam in the 5yrs @ $100mil each. That's gonna make for a really ugly defensive infield on the left side if they plan on having them as 3B and SS. I guess they are gonna go for the win with the 3 run HR plan having Napoli, Cespedes, Ortiz, and now possibly Sandoval and HanRam.

From what I understand HanRam was to be the 3B, when he signed first. If Sandoval signs as well, he plays 3rd and HanRam goes to the OF.

Napoli is done after 2015. Ortiz has to be done soon. Maybe Sandoval goes to 1B and Han Ram to 3B

Napoli is done after 2015. Ortiz has to be done soon. Maybe Sandoval goes to 1B and Han Ram to 3B
I was thinking the same, but what do they do for 2014? They'll have three guys who should pretty much be a FT DH in Ortiz, Napoli, and Sandoval. That would be like a way shittier version of things here if we would have had Miggy, VMart, and Prince all healthy at the same time. It could make sense to sign HanRam -OR- Sandoval, but not both... at least not this year or without trading someone else away. HanRam and Cespedes in the corner OF spots sounds like a circus act, but I suppose it could work in that stupid joke of a stadium. Hell, Manny's sorry ass played out there for years with his bat more than making up the difference (neither are Manny, but they aren't slouches with the bat and probably much better with the glove). It just sure seems like they'd have been way farther ahead to sign HanRam (cheaper and better than Sandoval) for 3B and to use the rest on a starter (Lester or Shields?).

Maybe we can get Cespedes from them via trade if this all goes through.

What is it you think Cespedes brings to the table?

Since his Rookie season, pitchers know how to get him out and he hasn't made the adjustments.

He doesn't walk. He has about average HR power. He doesn't hit for high average. He is 29 years old (if it is the truth). And he is a right-handed hitter. His defense for LF is slightly above average, but LF is hardly where you put your best defense anyways. And he is a Free Agent after this year.

If we get anyone for the OF, he absolutely must hit RHP and should be able to take pitches. He should also be able to be around for a few years.

Just my 2 cents.

If we get anyone for the OF, he absolutely must hit RHP and should be able to take pitches. He should also be able to be around for a few years.

Just my 2 cents.

Anyone like that exist?

If it was him or going with what we have, going after no one else..I'd be okay with that.

DET could trade for someone like Seth Smith. He hits RHP, takes a pitch or two and is signed through 2016 with 2017 as an option year.

DET could trade for someone like Seth Smith. He hits RHP, takes a pitch or two and is signed through 2016 with 2017 as an option year.

He had a nice year last year. Wouldn't be a bad option.

Not trying to be Mr. Negative, but trade with what?

With DD giving up guys like Travis for Gose, what do we have to deal with that won't just be creating another hole we have to patch?

The science of bad drafting. Trade crap for crap now we have no crap. When you decide to go and spend big, better win a WS or its a wasted effort. Not we have a partial team and nothing stocked up..

Also, we'd then need a RH platoon partner for either Smith or Gose since neither can hit LHP at all and we only have Davis. Id prefer a full time corner OF at this point.

Last edited:
Only if DD's plan is to start a guy who will probably strike out like 35% of the time with a nearly zero walk rate who probably wouldnt hit my cat's weight in the majors right now lol

Also, we'd then need a RH platoon partner for either Smith or Gose since neither can hit LHP at all and we only have Davis. If prefer a full time corner OF at this point.

Well I could live with a full time guy who does not hit lefties well, because that's only what...100 or so PA's over the course of a season.

Much better than a guy like Davis being full time who would get 450 PA's vs. a RHP and not hit them.

Also last year Smith had a .744 OPS against lefties, which is not terrible. Again, the problem would be what could we possibly offer for him that won't leave us looking to plug a different hole.

Back