Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rome trip

If Harbaugh leaves Michigan to coach in the NFL, who would be a better replacement?

The Vicar of Christ, or John the Baptist?

I think that John the Baptist's fiery disposition would wear thin. The Holy Father would want to give all players equal playing time, so I think that neither one should be on the short list of replacements.

I think that John the Baptist's fiery disposition would wear thin. The Holy Father would want to give all players equal playing time, so I think that neither one should be on the short list of replacements.

Yeah, I think you might be right; I would top that short list with John Harbaugh and Jeff Minnick.

You said "always" ... but I am not one to parse words. Saban was 12-0 in his third season after taking over for Mike Shula. Just seems just a bit arbitrary to me. Even Kelly was 12-1 his third season after taking over for Weis.

You are correct, I did say "always." I should have chosen my word(s) differently.

I think it is reasonable for a coach that took over a failing program to take a step back in his 3rd year. I have seen a lot of coaches come right in and have a successful first or 2nd year, only to take a step back in year 3.

Looking at this Michigan team, it is very young and they have a very difficult schedule.

Freshmen and sophomores often come in and "make an impact." I think where you see this is with a team that is filled with a lot of juniors and seniors. I'm quite certain that some freshman or sophomore will come in this season and make an impact. I guess they'll have to, because there aren't that many other options.

A team full of freshmen and sophomores is not likely to go out and win a conference championship. Can they? Sure. Is it likely? No.

Asking freshmen and sophomores to succeed against juniors, seniors, and 5th year seniors is a not a winning philosophy. There is a lot of maturity, physically and mentally, that goes on from years 1/2 to 3/4/5, especially in the trenches.

You are correct, I did say "always." I should have chosen my word(s) differently.

I think it is reasonable for a coach that took over a failing program to take a step back in his 3rd year. I have seen a lot of coaches come right in and have a successful first or 2nd year, only to take a step back in year 3.

Looking at this Michigan team, it is very young and they have a very difficult schedule.

I look forward to seeing them grow and improve throughout the season.

I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to discuss these predictions for next year when the "Predictions for 2017 season" thread is posted.

-Harbaugh gave Stanford their best season in Y3 in like forever.
-Kelly went 12-1 in Y3 at ND, 13-1 at GVSU in Y3.
-Meyer won national title in Year 3 at OSU.
-Ferentz had his best year of his first three at Iowa in Y3.

You'll find examples of some coaches having a similar or slight step back, and others like above who went to the next level. But saying Year 3 is the general step-back year is something that you are going to have to do a bit more digging up to prove.

I generally agree with you, but it may be a little different in Harbaugh's case only because he is such a great coach he was able to keep most of Hoke's players, resulting in a very experienced year 2 team.

we've lost a lot of talent now, going into year 3. not that I expect a huge dropoff in the Win-loss record or anything, but it's silly to compare all Year 3's and expect the same result... not apples-to-apples. Carr and Moeller were returning tons of talent in year 3.

the 2017 schedule is worse than 2016.

not one but two bunches of back-to-back road games, with the 2nd opponent harder in each case (IU->PSU and MD -> UW). and the opening game in Texas could be a roll of the dice kinda game, regardless of how good Florida is. I don't expect us to win it easily.

I generally agree with you, but it may be a little different in Harbaugh's case only because he is such a great coach he was able to keep most of Hoke's players, resulting in a very experienced year 2 team.

we've lost a lot of talent now, going into year 3. not that I expect a huge dropoff in the Win-loss record or anything, but it's silly to compare all Year 3's and expect the same result... not apples-to-apples. Carr and Moeller were returning tons of talent in year 3.

the 2017 schedule is worse than 2016.

not one but two bunches of back-to-back road games, with the 2nd opponent harder in each case (IU->PSU and MD -> UW). and the opening game in Texas could be a roll of the dice kinda game, regardless of how good Florida is. I don't expect us to win it easily.

Thank you

Of course, it is important to note, the gauntlet of (neutral site) Florida, home vs Cincinnati, home vs Air Force will not have any effect whatsoever on winning the big 10 title. That is a gauntlet, though. I doubt any other major team in the country has an OOC like that.

The conference schedule is only favorable in that MSU and OSU are at home. Michigan has to play at PSU in a white-out probably at night and at UW. PSU is returning their QB and RB. I really don't expect that the MSU at Michigan game will be that challenging. MSU is facing a ton of problems right now, but you never know about them. Michigan is their super bowl.

Last edited:
Thank you

Of course, it is important to note, the gauntlet of (neutral site) Florida, home vs Cincinnati, home vs Air Force will not have any effect whatsoever on winning the big 10 title. That is a gauntlet, though. I doubt any other major team in the country has an OOC like that.

I hope you are being sarcastic

Air Force and Cincy at home just don't concern me whatsoever. They are solid non-conference teams, but I don't expect them to come within 14-21 points of Michigan on the road.

I know it's a hard convince, but Florida has been offensively-challenged for almost 5 plus years now. There's nothing they do that scares me as an outsider.

Having OSU and MSU at home is a massive boost to the schedule.

And like I said, in order to win the conference, you have to win ONE game that you aren't expected to. This team has to play above themselves and win a game at Wisconsin and/or PSU. Championship teams do that.

I didn't look at Alabama's schedule, I expected the detractor to do that.

so if Michigan goes 9-3 and doesn't win the big 10 title, are you going to call for Harbaugh's head?

Seriously, though, if after year 6, Harbaugh hasn't beaten OSU or won the big 10 title, then you might have a point, but he's only been the coach for 2 years after a failed 7 years. Let's remember, Michigan hasn't won the big 10 since 2004. That hurts to say...

Last edited:
gotime, still stalking. I knew he still stalking after all this time...just can't resist.

MSU has Bowling Green, WMU, and Notre Dame...all at home...good job, Mike, not that impressive of an OOC schedule...

Last edited:
No dude, not once did I insinuate that Harbaugh should lose his job. I only suggested that after Year 3, if the team doesn't beat OSU or win the division, can we at least be a little bit upset? I wasn't caught up in all the glamour that everyone else was up front. He's a football coach, and a damn good one, but he's not invincible.

It's college football and everyone, for the most part is on a somewhat level playing field. Having a home game in Harbaugh's third year against OSU at the end of the season, when the freshman are no longer freshman and the sophs are no longer sophs, I expect a win.

gotime, still stalking. I knew he still stalking after all this time...just can't resist.

It's called reading. You're the one that made the stupid comment, not me.

and out of respect for the decent posters on this forum I won't take the bait on the MSU remark.

The only reason you're not worried about Cincinnati and Air Force is...Harbaugh

If Hoke or RR were the coach, we'd all be worried, so give him credit for putting us all at ease.

Last edited:
Back