Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Shohei Ohtani

If he was strictly a hitter he wouldn't be a special player.

I will be very disappointed if they limit him to one or the other. Baseball needs someone exciting.

But he'd be playing. And for him and the Angels, he'd be playing. I'm not sure a player like him is needed - but I get your point. It's just that injuries are more likely to happen when you do both.

Not paying much attention to baseball with this season as bad as the Tigers have been playing, but the angels and Dodgers just had a weekend freeway series and I thought I just heard on the radio that Otani hit a homerun.

What?s his status now? I guess I could look it up but I?d rather someone here just tell me.

Not paying much attention to baseball with this season as bad as the Tigers have been playing, but the angels and Dodgers just had a weekend freeway series and I thought I just heard on the radio that Otani hit a homerun.

What?s his status now? I guess I could look it up but I?d rather someone here just tell me.

I don't think he is pitching...just hitting. The HR he hit was a pinch-hit bomb. I think over 440'

I don't think he is pitching...just hitting. The HR he hit was a pinch-hit bomb. I think over 440'

I turned the game on last night just as he came up to bat. It sounded like thunder when he hit it....443' pinch hit go ahead HR.

He's shut down as a pitcher for the rest of the year but he will continue to DH. Not sure how frequently.

The Angels, they got some big time players but not much to show for it over the years.. This off season they got a 2 for 1 deal and still mediocre. Trout, almost 27 already, and only 1 playoff. No playoff wins. Shows you need more than the best player in baseball..

The Angels, they got some big time players but not much to show for it over the years.. This off season they got a 2 for 1 deal and still mediocre. Trout, almost 27 already, and only 1 playoff. No playoff wins. Shows you need more than the best player in baseball..

especially a hitter. The best hitter on a team gets about 4 AB a game. It's not worth it. I think I'd rather pay a great starter. At least he has a bigger impact on the team 20% (1 of 5) vs. 11% (1 of 9)

especially a hitter. The best hitter on a team gets about 4 AB a game. It's not worth it. I think I'd rather pay a great starter. At least he has a bigger impact on the team 20% (1 of 5) vs. 11% (1 of 9)

Probably. Imo, it's harder to get good solid starters..

It seems the Angels want him to have the surgery now after his only recent brief outing where he tweaked something.. Apparently after that game he was a DH the next day or two and hit 2-HR. I wonder if it would be wise to just use him as a full time DH? But if he has the surgery he wouldn't pitch until 2020 but he might be able to DH sometime next year.

looks like he is holding his own so far this year. Last night he went 2-3 with 3 runs and 2 RBI, pitched 5 innings, 4ER in the first then settled in, 9K 1 BB and the win.

Let's see if his health holds up

I still think its a hard thing to master over a career. One major injury already. But he had an amazing season.

I think that Judge will win the MVP this year, but I think Ohtani should win it again.

34 HR, 70 XBH, 95 RBI, .356 OBP, .877 OPS
15-8 with a 2.35 ERA, 213K, 1.03 WHIP

Basically, he's the 5th best hitter in the AL and the 4th best pitcher.

I think that Judge will win the MVP this year, but I think Ohtani should win it again.

34 HR, 70 XBH, 95 RBI, .356 OBP, .877 OPS
15-8 with a 2.35 ERA, 213K, 1.03 WHIP

Basically, he's the 5th best hitter in the AL and the 4th best pitcher.

Ones in the playoff ones not. And close to a triple crown. Offensively Ohtani isn't top 10 in WAR. He's also a DH. Stud but not this year.

Last edited:
Ones in the playoff ones not. And close to a triple crown. Offensively Ohtani isn't top 10 in WAR. He's also a DH. Stud but not this year.

it's a team sport...playoffs don't matter for individual awards

I don't care about WAR...a guy that hits almost every day and is top 10, and is a top 5 starting pitcher, it doesn't get any more valuable than that.

Plus, all of the Judge coverage over the past week annoyed me. :lmao:

it's a team sport...playoffs don't matter for individual awards

I don't care about WAR...a guy that hits almost every day and is top 10, and is a top 5 starting pitcher, it doesn't get any more valuable than that.

Plus, all of the Judge coverage over the past week annoyed me. :lmao:

Its not about best player it's most valuable. Now voters look at that differently maybe .. I understand your opinion about WAR but voters seem to think it's the greatest stat ever. Judge was definitely a much better hitter who was in the OF most starts. And he set a record.

this guy is going to be a free agent after this year. What is he going to get, 10 year $600M?

I just saw this on Twitter.

Angles current team leader in these categories.

Runs: Ohtani
Hits: Ohtani
HR: Ohtani
BB: Ohtani
RBI: Ohtani
SB: Ohtani
AVG: Ohtani
OBP: Ohtani
SLG: Ohtani
OPS: Ohtani
Wins: Ohtani
ERA: Ohtani