Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Shohei Ohtani

Looks like Mr. iL is going back to the IL, Mike Trout. Big long connects never work out. What a waste.

Angels GM Perry Minasian said that despite Ohtani suffering from cramping and arm fatigue that caused him to push back starts during this season, the team didn't do any related MRI imaging on his arm until this past week.

You have to be kidding??

Othani signs with Dodgers. Link 10 years, $700 million and a lot of fine print.

I guess that Yen yaks.

Is that Japanese for ?money talks?.

I had zero doubt that Robert said anything that wasn?t cleared by Ohtani his people.

Despite the disappointing postseason performances, the Dodgers are the winningest team in the last decade by far. You don?t do that by having a dumber than mud manager.

That's a lot of green. For his worth this season he'll have to hit .430 with 60 home runs and never strikeout. And it still wouldn't be good enough.

70 million is more than the entire payroll for the Orioles last year. Yes, I know that he said he is deferring some of that salary so the Dodgers can win, but let?s be real; things are out of balance. The Dodgers will probably play out a more severe version of the tigers and Miggy in the latter part of the contract, and he won?t even be pitching in 2024.

That's a lot of cash for a DH

It sure is.

It came down a dick measuring contest.

The Dodgers weren?t gonna let that one get away.

The Dodgers have been slobbering over Ohtani in their own back yard for years.

I don?t see how he?s going to help that team win a single postseason game.

It ain?t my money.

I?m going to explain why Shohei Ohtani?s $700 million contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers will not equal $700 million in terms of MLB accounting or the present-day value of the deal.

When money in a contract is deferred, the competitive-balance tax number ? the luxury tax ? is discounted. With a source saying a ?majority? of Ohtani?s contract is deferred, the discount could be significant. Typically, a CBT number is the average annual value of a deal ? in this case $70 million. But depending on the size and length of the deferrals, Ohtani?s CBT number is likelier to wind up in the $40-50 million-a-year range, an enormous benefit for the Dodgers.

The deferrals also affect the net present value of the deal. There?s a rule of thumb across all walks of life: Money today is more valuable than money tomorrow, inflation being what it is. When you defer money, you?re taking less. The Dodgers are operating in an environment in which the prime rate is 8.5%. And with money today being so pricey, it lowers the present-day value of the deal by a significant margin.

Regardless, in the end, Shohei Ohtani will be paid 700 million US dollars by the Dodgers. It?s an obscene amount of money. It?s just going to be seen as less by the league?s accounting ? and will allow the Dodgers to add even more around Ohtani as they try to win a championship.

Jeff Passan

Report: Shohei Ohtani to defer all but $20M of his $700M Dodgers contract until after its completion in 2034

Baseball just broke.

that's a lot of money to defer. That said, I read that he makes $45M a year in endorsements. So, he is giving the team a better opportunity to sign more players. So, in the long run, it's probably a pretty smart move on his part.

Back