Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spartans Playoff Ranking

Yeah auburn did MSU a favor today. Arkansas nearly did us a huge favor too. God Prescott is awful and Miss State is vastly overrated.

Good thing OSU is putting a beating on Ill, hopefully they somehow sneak into 12-14 range for next week.

Arkansas almost did it too but IT in the endzone was dumb. that loss by Miss St would have definitely dropped them before MSU

next Saturday is huge

Texas A&M @ #3 Auburn
#5 Oregon @ # 17 Utah
#6 Alabama @ # 19 LSU
#9 KSU @ # 7 TCU
#16 OSU @ #8 MSU
#10 ND @ # 14 ASU

If State wins against OSU, they could move up 4 more spot. definitely 1 spot after this week. but i would think at least 1 or 2 more spots. and I'm hoping A&M has one more good game left in them

Alabama can be the biggest key in all this. they play @ LSU then at home against Miss St and then end the year at home against Auburn. a loss to LSU drops them from the playoff picture. let's say they beat Miss St. and Auburn.

though Auburn has Georgia still before bama. so both could have 2 losses when the Iron Bowl happens

So Kansas St. jumped MSU while we were idle. Worse, TCU and Kansas St. play this week, so whichever wins will assuredly stay ahead of MSU even if we beat OSU. I think it's obvious by this point that the B1G is going to be the last conference in, and the first conference out.

There are now two guaranteed move-up games remaining that I see. Alabama-Auburn and TCU-Kansas St. guarantee a second loss for two of those teams. That still only gets us to 6. Ideally, the TCU-Kansas St. winner finds another loss and the Iron Bowl winner enters with two losses already. Or, Miss St. loses @Alabama and @Ole Miss.

I'll be pulling for Kansas St. and LSU on Saturday. Kansas St. because they have a tougher closing schedule than TCU and are more likely to find another loss. LSU because a 2-loss Alabama team could help knock out other contenders in front of us without jumping ahead.

Kansas State could lose to Baylor and ultimately Baylor could jump MSU too, though I have a feeling they won't be able to get past Oklahoma this weekend.

There really isn't much point in having a committee if their rankings are going to 95% mirror the polls, which appears to be the case now.

Kansas State could lose to Baylor and ultimately Baylor could jump MSU too, though I have a feeling they won't be able to get past Oklahoma this weekend.

There really isn't much point in having a committee if their rankings are going to 95% mirror the polls, which appears to be the case now.

I don't think looking a lot like the polls is a bad thing. I mean, should we expect that the committee has magic powers that the sportwriters and coaches don't? They are all watching the same games, so they should all have similar opinions.

Also, I don't think Baylor can jump MSU in any case. Ole Miss seems to have put a cap on the last playoff spot. If Baylor isn't ahead of a 2-loss Ole Miss team now, they just have too much ground to make up on the rest of the 1-loss crowd. Further, comparing schedules, Baylor's wins would be over TCU, Oklahoma, and Kansas St, while MSU's wins would be over OSU, Nebraska, Nebraska. Baylor has the edge in wins, but not a huge one so long as Nebraska wins out until the championship game. But our loss is way better than Baylor's.

I don't think looking a lot like the polls is a bad thing. I mean, should we expect that the committee has magic powers that the sportwriters and coaches don't? They are all watching the same games, so they should all have similar opinions.

Also, I don't think Baylor can jump MSU in any case. Ole Miss seems to have put a cap on the last playoff spot. If Baylor isn't ahead of a 2-loss Ole Miss team now, they just have too much ground to make up on the rest of the 1-loss crowd. Further, comparing schedules, Baylor's wins would be over TCU, Oklahoma, and Kansas St, while MSU's wins would be over OSU, Nebraska, Nebraska. Baylor has the edge in wins, but not a huge one so long as Nebraska wins out until the championship game. But our loss is way better than Baylor's.

Not necessarily. It's not like they're trying to make up points in the BCS formula. All it takes is for a few committee members to change their view of them. Winning at Oklahoma and then later on beating KSU, if KSU still only has one loss at the time, coupled with them already beating TCU could accomplish that.

Not necessarily. It's not like they're trying to make up points in the BCS formula. All it takes is for a few committee members to change their view of them. Winning at Oklahoma and then later on beating KSU, if KSU still only has one loss at the time, coupled with them already beating TCU could accomplish that.

Certainly possible, I just don't think it would happen. Like you said anyway, I don't think Baylor wins out.

One of the BTN guys made a good point today by saying what if MSU scheduled a Mac team instead of Oregon? They'd be undefeated now and sitting at the top of the poll with FSU and Miss St.

Last edited:
One of the BTN guys made a good point today by saying what if MSU scheduled a Mac team instead of Oregon? They'd be undefeated now and sitting at the top of the poll with FSU and Miss St.

They would be, but I'm not sure that would be right. Undefeated or not, I don't think FSU necessarily belongs in the top 2. A home win vs a good, not great Notre Dame team that was one penalty away from being a loss and a bunch of other less than dominating meh victories should not get you into the top 2. Again, this is how it's always worked with the polls, especially when a team is also the defending champions, but the job of the committee is to supposedly look a little deeper than that.

I think that will be a consideration in the end, if we win out and another team like TCU has 1 loss that will send a clear message that scheduling tough out of conference is not important

I think that will be a consideration in the end, if we win out and another team like TCU has 1 loss that will send a clear message that scheduling tough out of conference is not important

If a team is a championship caliber team there is no benefit to scheduling a top OOC opponent...there never has been unless you are a BSU type team that needs it.

Auburn losing to A&M would be great, I guess it would just be a testament to how deep the SEC is

Back