Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford Versus Winning Teams

I would expect Stafford to have a much higher QB rating vs below .500 teams. The fact that he doesn't is an excellent example of how he is an inconsistent QB.

As a disclaimer, I like Stafford as our QB because of those flashes of greatness. But I would like him to be more consistently great. Will he have stretches of games where he isn't great, of course. Every QB does. The elite QBs do not have long stretches. Matt needs to make that next step in his career to elite. So far he is only good to very good, not elite.

Good to very good should read good to very good sometimes. Or have you forgotten 2012, bad. 2013 and 2014 average. First half of 2015, not so good. And the close of this year.

Let me see if I can beat LKP to the response:
"injuries, bad officiating, lack of weapons."

When his stats are good. He gets some support. When his stats are bad he gets very little to no support. He plays well consistently and avoids turnovers with caldwell

Stafford plays well enough to beat winning teams. The team for a variety of reasons lost 46 times out of 51. 23 by one score. 2009 and 12 they were bad, end 2011 injured secondary. 2013 weapons and defensive injuries. 2015 turnovers against good defenses and some injuries. 2016 finger injury and defense fell apart down the stretch plus no run game

When his stats are good. He gets some support. When his stats are bad he gets very little to no support. He plays well consistently and avoids turnovers with caldwell

Stafford plays well enough to beat winning teams. The team for a variety of reasons lost 46 times out of 51. 23 by one score. 2009 and 12 they were bad, end 2011 injured secondary. 2013 weapons and defensive injuries. 2015 turnovers against good defenses and some injuries. 2016 finger injury and defense fell apart down the stretch plus no run game

So you're saying he's only good when he has a good team around him? Granted many QB's are similar, they need much talent. But the top guys can win and do well with less.

Excuse, excuse, excuse. Stafford's the only guy that deals with injuries and bad officiating in the NFL. I got it. Move on.

Stafford is good with below average support. Unlike many qbs who need average, above average ,good or great support. Stafford with minimal support, his greatness cant shine in the stats

Last edited:
86% winning percentage under Caldwell against .500 or below teams. We have 10 per the standings this year next year.
So that is 8.6 wins, round up to 9

Every year since 2012 we have beat one winning team (Sea, GB, GB, at GB,Wash).
at Bucs, Pack, at Pack, Pit, Atlanta, at Giants

I see more than one win there this year. So 10-11 wins

We'll see if Baltimore, Zona, Vikings, Carolina and Cincy improve enough to be winning teams after disappointing seasons in 2016. Or if the Bears, Browns, Saints improve greatly out of nowhere to be a winning team in 2017.

Okay.

When they win something that matters, let me know.

Every game matters. Lots of talent building blocks. Quinn will add more with cap room and draft available. Looking good for 2017.

85.1 and 86.1 tell me one thing - for his career he's average.

FYI, Dan Marino's career QB Rating:

Brett Favre's?

Jim Kelly?

Stafford isn't a HOFer currently. But don't disregard his ability and performance.

10 teams have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years.
Detroit and Dallas 2014 and 2016
Houston 2015 and 2016 winning AFC South
Arizona 2014 and 2015
Cincy 2014 and 2015
Carolina 2014 (at 7-8-1) and 2015
Seattle, GB, Pit, NE (all 3)

No, every game doesn't matter. Playoff games matter.

Luckily for us, this franchise listens to you and hangs banners for making the postseason.

No, every game doesn't matter. Playoff games matter.

Luckily for us, this franchise listens to you and hangs banners for making the postseason.

You need to win games that matter to make the playoffs. Lions did that 2 of 3 times lately. We'll see if they can make it 3 of 4 next year and then start winning some playoff games. The talent building blocks and foundation is there. DE, DT, nickel CB. Boom parade downtown incoming

Brett Favre's?

Jim Kelly?

Stafford isn't a HOFer currently. But don't disregard his ability and performance.

Different time. Look at his with other QB's of today. Even with his 2016, 13th. There's 22 QB over 85. Just a different game.

Brett Favre's?

Jim Kelly?

You're comparing different eras.
In Marino's time 86.4 was good for top 5 most years.
Favre finished Top 5 or 10 majority of his years.

Stafford is currently 16th among active QBs with at least 1500 attempts. and 23rd overall in league history.

In the top 25 of all time only Young, Montana and Marino were not playing when Stafford has been in the league
It's easier to pass in Stafford's time.

Last edited:

Brett Favre's?

Jim Kelly?

You really can't compare stats between these two eras. Stafford is #23 all time in terms of passer rating. However, he is 15th among active leaders.

10 teams have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years.
Detroit and Dallas 2014 and 2016
Houston 2015 and 2016 winning AFC South
Arizona 2014 and 2015
Cincy 2014 and 2015
Carolina 2014 (at 7-8-1) and 2015
Seattle, GB, Pit, NE (all 3)

The Lions are also one of 22 teams that have not won a playoff game in the past 3 years. They are also only one of 2 teams that have not won a playoff game in the past 25 years.

Back