Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Masters

tomdalton22

Probably my favorite "sports" event of the year. I just hope that CBS covers the event, not Tiger Woods.

I may tune in on Sunday for the last few holes. Like all sports I like the biggest events but golf is great for inducing nap time for me espicallly on tv. I liked playing golf which I did until my back went out. Heck probably 1990 was my last time give or take. I came 6 inches from a hole in one in a lansing way back in the early 80's. That was exciting .

Probably my favorite "sports" event of the year. I just hope that CBS covers the event, not Tiger Woods.

So what if Tiger Woods leads wire to wire and wins?

Are you expecting CBS to just ignore that part of the event, if that happens...?

".....(British accent, hushed tone)...Jim, there's a riveting, compelling and historic battle for second place we've watching going on between McElroy, Michelson and Watson, all currently six strokes off the lead....

So what if Tiger Woods leads wire to wire and wins?

Are you expecting CBS to just ignore that part of the event, if that happens...?

".....(British accent, hushed tone)...Jim, there's a riveting, compelling and historic battle for second place we've watching going on between McElroy, Michelson and Watson, all currently six strokes off the lead....

If that's the case I would expect that they would cover him. However, most media outlets cover Tiger even if he isn't in contention. I just went to ESPN.com and the first mention of any golfer was Tiger...he is 2 over and 5 behind the leader.

If that's the case I would expect that they would cover him. However, most media outlets cover Tiger even if he isn't in contention. I just went to ESPN.com and the first mention of any golfer was Tiger...he is 2 over and 5 behind the leader.

Well, that's news...

It's new to the TV audience - the audience wants to know about Tiger Woods.

If he fails to make the cut, I would imagine he won't be being talked about much Saturday or Sunday....

Well, that's news...

It's new to the TV audience - the audience wants to know about Tiger Woods.

If he fails to make the cut, I would imagine he won't be being talked about much Saturday or Sunday....

it really isn't news. He has been irrelevant to golf for several years.

I hope he does miss the cut so I don't have to hear about him.

Ironically, as I love golf, the Masters is one of my least favorite tournaments. It's not on the Golf Channel so CBS, or sometimes ESPN - and they basically talk about the same 5-6 people. And this week it will be Tiger, Tiger, Tiger. I don't mind Tiger and if he wins that's okay but I want to see everyone else.. Even as a big Phil fan I don't want to see every shot he makes..

You're kind of right and also kind of not right at the same time.

according to this, he has two top ten finishes this season, although he had a 9th place finish at Albany; I don't know why they're not counting that.

That's better than he's played in a long time.

A lot of people are hoping he'll come back and start winning again, especially majors.

He is still far and away the active all time leader in major championships, the only active player to have accomplished a career grand slam, let alone having done it several times over.

What people want to know about is news.

What people want to know about is relevant.

Every year what Punxsutawney Phil does on February 2nd makes national/international news.

Even though lots of other people don't care about something that's in the news doesn't make it news.

What makes something news is that it's in the news. What makes something relevant is that lots of people care about it/are interested in it, even if lots of other people don't.

What I had for breakfast isn't news - nobody cares about it and also everybody doesn't care about it.

Tiger Woods is news because lots of people are interested in what he does, even if he ends up not doing well, and hasn't done as well as he used to in a long, long time.

As was just mentioned, a win this weekend gives Rory McElroy the career grand slam.

Defending champion Sergio Garcia looking Tin Cup on the 15, so far 4 in a row in the water...

'Elroy - The Masters is like the US Open for Phil. Not meant to be.

Last edited:
Well, it has been so far.

Roger Federer finally won his French Open.

I'm rooting for Rory in this one, and Michelson in the next one.

Phil has won his Masters, 3 times. I want him to win the US Open so bad. 6 second place finishes..

When they were young..

woods-mickelson-golf-majors-lg-56db25d33df78c5ba0446100.jpg

After a not great start, McElroy back to even par for the day...2 off the lead.

Speith a pretty disappointing day so far after finishing the first round leading at -6...

Woods another mediocre start to this round; however, at this point he would likely make the projected cut...

I hope he does miss the cut so I don't have to hear about him.

So it appears that Tiger Woods will squeeze into weekend play with no chance of winning, short of everybody ahead of him being struck by lightening, or dying of botulism, or something...

Know what's funny?

You say Tiger Woods isn't news, and isn't relevant...

So riddle me this, Batman...

Why did you then make him the subject of your own Masters thread in your own OP?

Out of the 87 participants, he's the only one you mentioned.

YOU did that yourself; CBS didn't have anything to do with it...

The biggest story is obviously Rory McElroy chasing history...not a thing about that in your OP...

Back