Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Thoughts on Israel

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
When I was growing up, it was basically engraved into my mind that Israel was the beacon of the middle east. They were the good guys and one of our allies. As I got older, I started seeing that they were not so good. I know Palestine is probably just as guilty, if not more, but Israel is supposed to be above all of this shit.

Three teenagers go missing and are murdered so the obvious response is to kill a Palestinian teenager and the kick the shit out of his 15 year old american cousin while he was on the ground and not fighting back? Looking at the history, it really seems that Israel just waits for any reason to strike Palestine.

I'm not saying that Israel is the bad guy in this situation, but they certainly don't look like the model country that we should be so closely aligned with.

I don't even really know what to think right now. It's like watching a snake fight a huge rat. Don't really care who wins. They're both pretty disgusting.

I don't care to debate with any of you over this, but you're free to do so. I just want some other opinions on the subject.

um...

it's hard to wade into this one, because it's so polarized.

the Israeli government is pretty awful... and I think they're basically perpetuating strife with the Palestinians in order to justify a slow policy of settlement/ethnic cleansing. It's an apartheid system for sure.

Terrorism, or the threat of terrorism, is not an excuse for subjugating an entire population of people, few of whom are actually terrorists. Israel has a right to defend itself of course, but this right cannot justify all its actions there, or basically keeping an entire nation of people subjugated.

Another example of religion pervading government.

I really wish we had a solid reason to back and stand with Israel that was not founded on the idea that they have claim to what was once Palestine simply because "god promised it to them" and they are the enemies of Muslims.

But to be honest we have to keep them close because they are a little bat-shit crazy, and if we didn't keep them on a leash I'm sure they would have nuked Syria or Iran long ago.

If the Arab nations laid down their weapons, they would have peace with Israel. If Israel laid down it's weapons, it would be destroyed.

If the Arab nations laid down their weapons, they would have peace with Israel. If Israel laid down it's weapons, it would be destroyed.

That's pretty one-sided.

Would Israel then return the lands they took? Fuck no. Would they agree to share Jerusalem? Fuck no.

They continue to settle in lands that the UN general assembly, US security council, and the international court of justice say belong to Palestinians.

That's pretty one-sided.

Would Israel then return the lands they took? Fuck no. Would they agree to share Jerusalem? Fuck no.

They continue to settle in lands that the UN general assembly, US security council, and the international court of justice say belong to Palestinians.

The Gaza Strip, the Golan Heights and the West Bank?

It's my understanding that those lands were actually taken from Egypt, Jordan and Syria in 1967, in what has come to be called the Six Day War.

I could be wrong here; and I'm also not automatically taking Israel's side.

The situation is very complicated.

My recollection is that Israel depopulized or unpopulized the Gaza Strip (are either of them words?) at the encouragement of the Bush Administration, which resulted in catastrophic consequences, in the opinion of most Israelis.

The Gaza Strip, the Golan Heights and the West Bank?

It's my understanding that those lands were actually taken from Egypt, Jordan and Syria in 1967, in what has come to be called the Six Day War.

I could be wrong here; and I'm also not automatically taking Israel's side.

The situation is very complicated.

My recollection is that Israel depopulized or unpopulized the Gaza Strip (are either of them words?) at the encouragement of the Bush Administration, which resulted in catastrophic consequences, in the opinion of most Israelis.

Well specifically the West Bank, East Jerusalem, and the Golan Heights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli-occupied_territories

Israel views its presence in these areas as being vital to its self defense.

The whole thing sucks - anybody who shares this opinion, I am in wholehearted agreement with.

Glad I don't live there.

Although I do want to visit Israel one day.

IMO Israel is no better than Iran, the only difference is who we choose to side with.

IMO Israel is no better than Iran, the only difference is who we choose to side with.

I wouldn't say they're no better, prevalent attitudes in muslim countries are much more dangerous than those in the Jewish community (other than shelden adelson)

Wealthy and Peaceful or Poor and Angry..

What if you're Poor and Peaceful..kind of blows a hole into the Israel test theory.

Both sides have been wronged so much. There's no sufficient reparation for one side or the other enough to "have justice". It's not easy for an individual to give up the idea of justice, let alone two entire populations.

Does Israel publicly hang people for being gay? Is belonging to some religion other than Judaism a crime punishable by death in Israel? Is Israel the only country pursuing nuclear weapons with the stated desire to wipe another country off the face of the earth rather than as a deterrent like every other nuclear country? Do women in Israel have to wear a niqab or face public beatings by police for not adequately covering their bodies so as not to tempt men to rape them? The human rights violations as a matter of government policy in Iran and other muslim countries in the middle east are exponentially worse than what happens in Israel. Israel is literally the only democracy in the middle east and it's muslim citizens get to vote. There is no question which country is worse. No question.

Last edited:
Back