Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2023-2024 Offseason: Trades, Free Agents, Call ups, Rule 5, tender, non-tender

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...0-man-roster-who-stays-whos-gone/71209181007/
'Days of Roar' Tigers Podcast: Detroit Tigers' 40-man roster: Who stays and who's gone? 61 minutes.

On this episode: This week, Mark and Evan forgo "The Big 2" format and instead opt to have an episode-spanning discussion on the makeup of the Detroit Tigers' 40-man roster. While it's clear certain players are guaranteed locks or departures, the guys also look at some positional redundancies and analyze what to do with pieces lacking minor league options.

Freep

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/17/watercooler-wednesday-106/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

(Editor?s Note: The original blog sent out contained the wrong poll. The correct one has replaced it and may be seen below.)

This year?s playoffs have journalists and fans talking about the wide mix of teams who earned a slot. In particular, how teams? payrolls varied so widely. Some with very low salaries and others among the top in spending.

Then there are the teams who were among the biggest spenders this year but didn?t see October. Some of them finishing under .500. Some of them never in contention.

And it is the primary reason why owners will spend hundreds of millions.

To contend.

But is it as simple as spending lots of money in order to become one of MLB?s best teams?

Here?s what Scott Harris said recently as he discussed what the Tigers will do in the off-season:

?What I think about this offseason is that it?s important to remind ourselves there aren?t any shortcuts to contention. Recent history in this game will tell you. Certain organizations have either over-estimated their proximity to contention or they have tried to take a shortcut to contention by spending heavily in free agency, and it hasn?t worked.

?It hasn?t pushed them forward and, in fact, in some cases, it set them back.?

If we look at the Tigers, Mike Ilitch was one of MLB?s cheapest owners for the first 13 years. It was only in 2005 that he decided he wanted a ring and was often the owner who spent the most on free agents from 2005 through 2016. In those years, the Tigers won a lot of games but in the end they only earned
1 win out of 9 games in 2 World Series appearances.

After that, the Tigers have spent the last 7 years (and counting) tearing down and trying to rebuild.

The Tigers can look to their last foray into significant free agency spending. It was before the 2022 season, when they promised more than $400+ million for 4 free agents and ended up regressing to a 66-win season. It was this premature move that proved to be the final straw for Chris Ilitch who fired him before the end of the season.

All of this begs the question: Is it wise for a baseball team to try to buy its way into contention?

What do you think? Is this a wise strategy? Is it worth the price which is almost always a tear down and rebuild?

Or are there better and more successful ways of building a roster?

Let?s kick start some good discussion threads here ? and to take with you wherever you go during the rest of the week.

Would you support "buying a roster" in order for your team to contend in October?

1. Yes, the price is worth it.

2. No, there are better ways.

VOTE

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/19/five-for-friday-89/
FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

At one of his initial press conferences, Scott Harris said that the organization would take ?calculated risks? when signing players from outside the organization in order to get better. Players who technically fit the Tigers? needs and filled holes. He emphasized that you don?t move ahead unless you take certain risks.

He also indicated that a ?calculated risk? meant that there was evidence a player would ? on paper ? work out but that the organization recognized that there would be some who wouldn?t.

The theory worked extremely well for him when he was with the Giants and his ability to find treasure earned the Giants 107 wins in 2021.

Harris has only been with the Tigers for a year. For much of that time, he was editing a roster Al Avila had already assembled and this limited just how much he could change at one time.

In all, Scott acquired 9 players who saw more than a cup of coffee in Detroit (excluding the minor league acquisitions) this past season. Three of them ? Matthew Boyd, Nick Maton and Tyler Nevin ? did not work out.

But 5 (maybe 6) of them contributed positively to the team?s improvement this year. They are:

from article above

1. TYLER HOLTON ? Claimed off waivers, he was the team?s best reliever in ERA and WHIP. He?s also made the short list for Rookie of the Year.

2. ANDY IBANEZ ? Also claimed off waivers, he put up one of the team?s best slash lines and had the lowest strikeout rate. He earned the team?s best DRS by a mile and ranks #8 in all of MLB.

3. MICHAEL LORENZEN ? He was the 3rd best starting pitcher on the team given his ERA and WHIP and was named to the All-Star team. A 1-year reclamation project that the Tigers ended up flipping for a #5 top prospect.

4. ZACH MCKINSTRY ? His defense ranks in the top 85th % of MLB and his arm strength in the 96th % while playing 6 different positions. It earned him a Gold Glove finalist nomination this week.

5. MATT VIERLING ? He put up one of the better slash lines and could play strong defense in both the infield and outfield. He was the strongest outfielder for the Tigers in both LF and RF.

I do like all of these guys, but other than Lorenzen, who is gone, all of these guys are basically backups or part time players. Don't get me wrong, these are they type of players that are necessary to have a really good team, but they should be on the bench, not starters. Let's hope he can get some guys that are starting caliber players.

That said, they were all good additions.

from article above

1. TYLER HOLTON ? Claimed off waivers, he was the team?s best reliever in ERA and WHIP. He?s also made the short list for Rookie of the Year.

2. ANDY IBANEZ ? Also claimed off waivers, he put up one of the team?s best slash lines and had the lowest strikeout rate. He earned the team?s best DRS by a mile and ranks #8 in all of MLB.

3. MICHAEL LORENZEN ? He was the 3rd best starting pitcher on the team given his ERA and WHIP and was named to the All-Star team. A 1-year reclamation project that the Tigers ended up flipping for a #5 top prospect.

4. ZACH MCKINSTRY ? His defense ranks in the top 85th % of MLB and his arm strength in the 96th % while playing 6 different positions. It earned him a Gold Glove finalist nomination this week.

5. MATT VIERLING ? He put up one of the better slash lines and could play strong defense in both the infield and outfield. He was the strongest outfielder for the Tigers in both LF and RF.

I do like all of these guys, but other than Lorenzen, who is gone, all of these guys are basically backups or part time players. Don't get me wrong, these are they type of players that are necessary to have a really good team, but they should be on the bench, not starters. Let's hope he can get some guys that are starting caliber players.

That said, they were all good additions.
I could see MCKINSTRY playing a lot in '24 just based on other guys getting games off. So he'll get his fair share of starting games. IMO.

Then we have Vierling, Baddoo and Short. A couple of those have got to go. I rather keep Vierling.

Carpenter, stay in the OF or DH? Green, and Meadows (deserves shot at keeping CF as a starter) and ?.

Keith, Jung, Malloy? Do 1 or 2 come up, all 3. Not sure if any are plus defenders. Not sure what they're doing in the minors changing positions but I think Keith is better at 3rd, Jung better at 2nd and Malloy at 1B/DH/LF?

And then you have ANDY IBANEZ who is better defensively than anyone else. Amazes me how his debut wasn't until age 28. Defense alone he should have been up sooner. He's a MUST KEEP.

I could see MCKINSTRY playing a lot in '24 just based on other guys getting games off. So he'll get his fair share of starting games. IMO.

Then we have Vierling, Baddoo and Short. A couple of those have got to go. I rather keep Vierling.

Carpenter, stay in the OF or DH? Green, and Meadows (deserves shot at keeping CF as a starter) and ?.

Keith, Jung, Malloy? Do 1 or 2 come up, all 3. Not sure if any are plus defenders. Not sure what they're doing in the minors changing positions but I think Keith is better at 3rd, Jung better at 2nd and Malloy at 1B/DH/LF?

And then you have ANDY IBANEZ who is better defensively than anyone else. Amazes me how his debut wasn't until age 28. Defense alone he should have been up sooner. He's a MUST KEEP.

Sounds like it might be Keith at 2nd and Jung 3rd. Keith hasn't had the arm from 3rd since his shoulder injury. Jung has been playing a good 3rd in fall league from the sounds of it. Malloy is anyone's guess. Suddenly we have a ton of bat prospects and none of them are plus defense. Hopefully they're all good enough athletes to get better.

Sounds like it might be Keith at 2nd and Jung 3rd. Keith hasn't had the arm from 3rd since his shoulder injury. Jung has been playing a good 3rd in fall league from the sounds of it. Malloy is anyone's guess. Suddenly we have a ton of bat prospects and none of them are plus defense. Hopefully they're all good enough athletes to get better.
That's what I alluded to and wasn't sure why they switched but I had forgotten about Keith's shoulder surgery. The good news is all 3 seem to hit the ball well.

Back