Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2023-2024 Offseason: Trades, Free Agents, Call ups, Rule 5, tender, non-tender

good article. However, I question this assessment.

"Can Tigers use their pitching depth to trade for offensive help?"

I don't see the pitching depth he is talking about. IIRC, they had a difficult time filling the 5 man rotation last year.
Rotation I could see Skubal, Manning, Olsen, Gibson-long and Mize. Turnbull probably gets another look. Fraedo? Bring up Ty Madden for a look..

What you have though is a Bouillabaisse of injured ridden unknowns stop-gaps.

Probably don't get much back from anyone in the trade market. Maybe Skubal but no point in that.

Last edited:
The Tigers have hired Collin Murray as a minor-league pitching coach. He spent the past two seasons as a development coach with the Orioles.

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2023/1...pt-out-will-likely-end-his-tigers-tenure.html
Eduardo Rodriguez?s impending opt-out will likely end his Tigers tenure.
Mlive

I think the Totally Tigers site had an article/poll asking if the Tigers should trade some of their "pitching depth" for upgrades for their offense. The way I look at it, the Tigers need to add pitching depth. They lost, or are going to lose, their "most reliable" two starting pitchers (E Rod & Lorenzen). IMO, they are going to have to sign two guys to take their places. I wouldn't want to go into the season trying to put together a rotation using Skubal, Olson, Manning, Wentz, Faedo, & Mize. Among those guys, Wentz had the most innings last year @ 105.2 which ranked 117th in all of baseball. Of course, he was terrible with his 6.90 ERA and 1.68 WHIP.

I think the Totally Tigers site had an article/poll asking if the Tigers should trade some of their "pitching depth" for upgrades for their offense. The way I look at it, the Tigers need to add pitching depth. They lost, or are going to lose, their "most reliable" two starting pitchers (E Rod & Lorenzen). IMO, they are going to have to sign two guys to take their places. I wouldn't want to go into the season trying to put together a rotation using Skubal, Olson, Manning, Wentz, Faedo, & Mize. Among those guys, Wentz had the most innings last year @ 105.2 which ranked 117th in all of baseball. Of course, he was terrible with his 6.90 ERA and 1.68 WHIP.
Sawyer Gipson-Long will get a look. Maybe someone from the lower levels. They might be able to squeeze 5-man rotation out of that. Not counting Wentz. All about staying healthy. And getting rid of that two day a week BP starts.

Sawyer Gipson-Long will get a look. Maybe someone from the lower levels. They might be able to squeeze 5-man rotation out of that. Not counting Wentz. All about staying healthy. And getting rid of that two day a week BP starts.

unfortunately, staffs never stay healthy. I just don't trust a rotation that consists of mostly young guys that for the most part have barely pitched over 100 innings in a season. They need to add two veterans.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/30/the-best-money-ever-spent/
THE BEST MONEY EVER SPENT.
Totally Tigers

Isn?t it amazing what happens when you sign quality talent?

I?m not talking about the players.

I am talking about the personnel. Specifically Scott Harris, Ryan Garko, Rob Metzler, Kenny Graham, Gabe Ribas, Ryan Sienko, Mark Connor, A. J. Hinch and his coaches and the dozens of others who have been brought in to craft the entire process of acquiring, developing and promoting the talent we see on the field. (Jeff Greenberg remains off this list simply because he was just hired.)

It is the difference between night and day.

Few teams have been as clueless as the Tigers when it came to hiring those to run the organization. After Sparky Anderson?s retirement, there was a parade of first-time managers and former players who became skippers.

And it really was sad that the Tigers couldn?t go beyond their boundaries and explore managerial talent outside the organization. Instead, they took the easy way out by hiring Dave Dombrowski?s former Marlins manager, Jim Leyland, who had been retired for 6 years since walking away from both of his contracts with the Marlins (after 2 years) and Rockies (after 1 year).

Seriously, how many other organizations decided that going after long-retired managers was the perfect solution to their needs? It really does smack of either being unimaginative, lazy, desperate and/or believing that the personnel you bring in isn?t really important to winning.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...world-series-arizona-fall-league/71385561007/
'Days of Roar' Tigers Podcast: Talkin' Detroit Tigers prospects with Mike Ferrin. 73 minutes.

On this episode: This week, the guys have coaching staff changes to review along with Evan's piece on Detroit Tigers pitcher Sawyer Gipson-Long. Later in the pod, Mark and Evan are thrilled to bring back Mike Ferrin, co-host of MLB Network Radio's "Power Alley," to the pod. Ferrin shares why this World Series may be memorable and which players he's looking forward to seeing at the Arizona Fall League.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...world-series-arizona-fall-league/71385561007/
'Days of Roar' Tigers Podcast: Talkin' Detroit Tigers prospects with Mike Ferrin. 73 minutes.

On this episode: This week, the guys have coaching staff changes to review along with Evan's piece on Detroit Tigers pitcher Sawyer Gipson-Long. Later in the pod, Mark and Evan are thrilled to bring back Mike Ferrin, co-host of MLB Network Radio's "Power Alley," to the pod. Ferrin shares why this World Series may be memorable and which players he's looking forward to seeing at the Arizona Fall League.

Back