Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2024 Spring Training beginning 2 - 14

Detroit Tigers likely to snub former first-rounder from Opening Day roster.
With options remaining, Alex Faedo is likely to be sent down to Triple-A ahead of Opening Day. He'd get snubbed from the Detroit Tigers roster after a great spring performance.
MCBTB

Tigers youngster Sawyer Gipson-Long once appeared likely to compete with other youngsters such as Casey Mize, Reese Olson, and Matt Manning for a role in the club’s starting rotation alongside Tarik Skubal, Jack Flaherty, and Kenta Maeda. Unfortunately for Gipson-Long, he’s been nursing a left groin strain throughout camp that will lead to him opening the season on the injured list.
Gipson-Long, who the club acquired at the 2022 trade deadline in exchange for right-hander Michael Fulmer, made his big league debut late in the season last year and impressed during four starts in the majors. In 20 innings of work, the right-hander posted a 2.70 ERA with a 3.16 FIP while striking out an excellent 31.7% of batters faced. With Mize and Olson now set to start the season in the rotation, Gipson-Long figures to head to Triple-A Toledo once healthy, where he’ll provide Detroit with quality rotation depth alongside Matt Manning and wait for an opportunity in the big leagues.

MLBTR

Not 1 time in any of the games I watched last year did I feel Tork was a shitty defensive first baseman. The guy was a scooping machine catching Javy's errant throws. I really don't get why that myth is out there.
I agree. That said, I'm not able to watch too many games. I just rely on what the "experts" and the advanced stats say.

War has it's flaws but Tork was -1.9 which is not good. DRS (Defensive runs saved) -11, again not good. Zone fielding -7. All 1B have a lot of scoops, they get so many. Unfortunately there are more things becside a scoop. No idea where he fits among AL 1B because there are other terrible defensive 1B. But he's not good, he's not average - not even close.

Also committed most errors at 1B, 11.

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..
There is a good chance that the Scott Boras situation could be some sort of Collusion by the owners. Maybe they are just fed up with him so they are going to freeze him out.

There is a good chance that the Scott Boras situation could be some sort of Collusion by the owners. Maybe they are just fed up with him so they are going to freeze him out.
If that was the case they all would still be unsigned. But Snell wanted 10 years initially. No way he was getting that. JD is 36 years old, long contract wasn't going to happen.

If that was the case they all would still be unsigned. But Snell wanted 10 years initially. No way he was getting that. JD is 36 years old, long contract wasn't going to happen.
freezing Boras out. Going out of their way to stop over paying his clients. He still has 2 really good clients that have not been signed. Snell got a really shitty deal. JD didn't deserve anything more than he got...he's old as dirt :)

freezing Boras out. Going out of their way to stop over paying his clients. He still has 2 really good clients that have not been signed. Snell got a really shitty deal. JD didn't deserve anything more than he got...he's old as dirt :)
Snell is injury proned and his advanced metric weren't as good as his number suggest. Walks are a big problem for him. Maybe a shitty deal but when you ask for 10 years it was going to happen holding out so long.

Days of Roar Tigers Podcast Previewing 2024 season for Detroit Tigers and sizing up AL Central rival with help from insider. 61 minutes.

Opening day is finally here this week! With the 2024 regular season just days away, Mark and Evan catch us up on the final pitching starting rotation spots now filled by Reese Olson and Casey Mize. What do the guys make of Matt Manning being sent down to AAA? Later, the guys discuss the poor slow April performances that have plagued the Tigers the last few seasons and game out if the ball club could have a hotter start this year. After the break, the "Days of Roar" crew welcome Star Tribune's Minnesota Twins reporter Bobby Nightengale on to the show. The trio discuss the Twins' cost-cutting off-season moves and how they'll compete for the AL central this season.

Jack Flaherty's final spring line:18.1 IP 2.98 ERA 37 K% 5.7 BB% 0.98 WHIP

2024 Player preview: Kerry Carpenter looks to build on a strong debut.
The outfielder’s first full season in the bigs was a success. Now he looks to refine his game to take the next step.
BYBTB

2024 Tigers season preview: Jack Flaherty looks primed after work in the Tigers pitching lab.
Flaherty has always had an outstanding slider. The Tigers have helped him clean up his mechanics and improve his fastball, setting the stage for a good year.
BYBTB

Back