Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers interested in + now with agreement in place for Joakim Soria

Maybe eventually. He still hasnt faced any live hitting yet.

Right but that guy is arguing we need to trade for a marquee reliever, which I disagree with (but what else is new) because we supposedly have Hanrahan coming some time in the second half.

It is rare that I disagree with everything somebody posts. That's why I enjoy messageboards. We have little chance of agreeing but I'll summarize why I think completely differently than you.

Getting a 60-70 IP guy that you trust in the 7th inning of the ALCS isn't nearly as easy as you are making it sound. I'm guessing you've watched the playoffs the last few years. Every year teams make trades for impact relievers. My anger is that DD hasn't gotten a big enough reliever going in to the playoffs.

I don't understand why you would complicate a trade now trying to get a 200 IP starter. They are easier to get in the offseason (James Shields?). They don't need that guy today so you would be giving up prospects needlessly more than getting a top-end reliever from a team that knows a closer won't get them to the playoffs. Great starters often don't make it out of the seventh in the playoffs. I want four closer caliber guys to take over from there. The games are lost in the 8th just like the 3rd.

It's like not having a good kicker "We can get one anywhere..." until you find out the guys hwho are clutch are rare. You lose games and opportunities while you learn that lesson. Tigers need one more marquee reliever to make me happy for the postseason.

10 man pitching staff.
The 5 starters with Porcello and Smyly likely in the pen.
Al Al
Coke
Joba
Nathan
?????

Porcello isn't going to the pen.

I'll believe it when I see it. My expectations are as low as than can be with him at the moment.

Mine too, but what pull the trigger and trade for a big name bullpen arm (we have very little to trade with) if there is a chance he will be even close to his 2012 self?

Imo, RP should be add on players in a trade not the main piece.

Right but that guy is arguing we need to trade for a marquee reliever, which I disagree with (but what else is new) because we supposedly have Hanrahan coming some time in the second half.

I got a rash of shit saying the signing was stupid. Not the necessarily the signing itself, but because it was a ML contract and he was immediately put on the DL. At this point, he should have been on the 60-day DL.

Early on, I had heard it was going to be long after the AS break before he pitched. He is still coming back from TJ surgery, so we still don't know what we have.

I am always of the opinion you never, ever target a reliever in a trade. Their value is minimal in the grand scheme of things. Effective relievers have relatively very short shelf lives. The vast majority of relievers might good for at most 5 years.

I think most agree.

Four people agree.

So you four (Mitch, Thundercats, Reb and Thumb) the team needs BP help but you say don't do it unless you are bringing in a starter - either pitching or position player. That seems patently wrong to me but I'll go along with it. What other position do you want to fill as the primary need?

To follow-up, you thought getting only Veras last year was the wrong move at the time?

I'm not convinced that most people agree you go out and get pieces you don't need just so you aren't focusing on a reliever. In this day of specialization there is no shame in coming out of the bullpen.

Relievers do have short lives I agree Reb - that is why you go and get the best guy at the deadline so you're not paying him to be an elite reliever until it matters most to you. The trade I'm looking at is not for the season he is for the playoffs and playoffs only.

Last edited:
Not if the RHB taking his place is hitting at .900+ OPS. All I'm saying is I wouldn't say we need a lefty in our rotation. Maybe you don't either but some do..

In regards to this, I want Danny Valencia hitting cleanup instead of Salvador Perez. Regardless of numbers, when it is nut cutting time I bet Valencia chokes more than the All-Star Perez. Nothing but hunch for me and why I like fucking with people's lineups and heads. Psy-ops we'll call it I suppose. It is an aspect of baseball I like.

They don't have a guy for the 7th inning. I woulda used Hardy instead of Krol but who knows what Raburn would have done to him. Today's game is what I see in October if no moves are made.

Our SS in the Fister trade is long gone, and the guy we traded him for is as well..Krol can't seem to get RH out. In other words he sucks, and Ray has been getting his ass kicked. Nice job Mayhew. I mean DD.

Top prospect and 4 other very young guys. It makes sense for SD.

Gott, 21, has split this season between Single-A Lake Elsinore and Double-A San Antonio. In 39 combined relief outings, he is 2-4 with 16 saves and a 3.56 ERA.

He was chosen as a midseason California League All-Star.

Lindsey, a 22-year-old second baseman, was the No. 37 pick by the Angels in the 2010 draft. In four-plus minor league seasons campaigns, he has batted .289 with 43 home runs and 209 RBI.

He was rated as the Angels' top prospect by Baseball America.

Alvarez, 23, has gone 7-4 with five saves in two-plus minor league seasons.

The 20-year-old Rondon was signed as an international free agent in January 2011. The Venezuelan infielder has played in 245 minor league games, batting .300 with 146 runs and 116 RBI.

Morris, 22, has appeared in 28 games -- 18 starts -- in the Angels system, going 7-6 with a 3.43 ERA.

Depends on if you believe they did the right thing..I don't.

Our opinion for or against doesn't mean shit. A man who actually runs a MLB team thinks you're wrong. Whether it works or not is immaterial to his beliefs that a reliever is important if you want to win a Championship. The major league team you run doesn't have to do it the same way of course.

So where does this leave us? I actually think it might help that LAA were the first to pull the trigger. Less competition to bid with when we make our move.

What do you guys think it would take to land Benoit/Seth Smith?

So where does this leave us? I actually think it might help that LAA were the first to pull the trigger. Less competition to bid with when we make our move.

What do you guys think it would take to land Benoit/Seth Smith?

of course they took the best player as well. They also set the price tag...which is out of this world!

Back