Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers negotiate and extend Miggy 8 years at under $300M

If we as fans believe it will be a deterrent in the long run to keeping the team competing for championships, then we should argue shouldn't we?

Who says it will be? They've been spending money since forever maybe they keep doing it..MI is probably not doing any of this yet the family is still tossing around big money deals..

It reminds me of the NYY. Big boss dies and his son hinted at lowering payroll yet they're still spending. I won't worry until it's time to worry.

Who says it will be? They've been spending money since forever maybe they keep doing it..MI is probably not doing any of this yet the family is still tossing around big money deals..

Are they spending the big money wisely though? I don't care what they spend either if it makes sense, and it doesn't hurt the organization's ability to remain competitive in the long run. If Cabrera and all are other big money guys are making boatloads of cash in the next 5 years, how are they going to put together a complete team? We're already seeing signs of it now. We have absolutely no faith in our bullpen and our offense appears to have taken a step back from last season. Even the Illitch family doesn't have an infinite amount of money, so that won't solve every problem.

I'm not saying for certain the Tigers are on the downswing because of this deal, I just don't like the direction the team is going. I'm not going to just ignore the warning signs on the chance that maybe things will work out. Hopefully they do!

Are they spending the big money wisely though? I don't care what they spend either if it makes sense, and it doesn't hurt the organization's ability to remain competitive in the long run. If Cabrera and all are other big money guys are making boatloads of cash in the next 5 years, how are they going to put together a complete team? We're already seeing signs of it now. We have absolutely no faith in our bullpen and our offense appears to have taken a step back from last season. Even the Illitch family doesn't have an infinite amount of money, so that won't solve every problem.

I'm not saying for certain the Tigers are on the downswing because of this deal, I just don't like the direction the team is going. I'm not going to just ignore the warning signs on the chance that maybe things will work out. Hopefully they do!

3 division titles in row, over 90 wins last year. It's been competitive. Some of the moves might not make sense lately but they still have JV, Max, Anibal and Rick P. Strong rotation plus Miggy and some nice pieces on offense including a young Nick C.

Not perfect but better than most. Like I said I won't worry until it's time to worry. There is no warning signs. Want to be the Cubs or the Mets or a dozen other teams. Until we become the Marlins, no worries.

3 division titles in row, over 90 wins last year. It's been competitive. Some of the moves might not make sense lately but they still have JV, Max, Anibal and Rick P. Strong rotation plus Miggy and some nice pieces on offense including a young Nick C.

Not perfect but better than most. Like I said I won't worry until it's time to worry. There is no warning signs. Want to be the Cubs or the Mets or a dozen other teams. Until we become the Marlins, no worries.

No one is disputing we've been competitive in the recent past. I said I hope the Tigers remain competitive in the future. We just have different philosophies I guess. You're satisfied that we're not the Cubs or Mets. What's wrong with aspiring to be the Cardinals or Red Sox? I want the Tigers to be as good or even better than what they have been. That means winning championships. I hope you're right that we have enough in place to do just that, but I am not so sure. I'm especially not so sure about the team in 5 years. Worry isn't the right word. We should be "thinking" about the future is what I would say.

Last edited:
On a semi-related note, does anyone else want keith law to get hit by a bus? Preferably the tigers team bus?

On a semi-related note, does anyone else want keith law to get hit by a bus? Preferably the tigers team bus?

Yeah it's hard to find one positive article he ever writes about the Tigers lol. I'm sure he does, but yea he comes off as an annoying little dbag.

No one is disputing we've been competitive in the recent past. I said I hope the Tigers remain competitive in the future. We just have different philosophies I guess. You're satisfied that we're not the Cubs or Mets. What's wrong with aspiring to be the Cardinals or Red Sox? I want the Tigers to be as good or even better than what they have been. That means winning championships. I hope you're right that we have enough in place to do just that, but I am not so sure. I'm especially not so sure about the team in 5 years. Worry isn't the right word. We should be "thinking" about the future is what I would say.

The Red Sox? They spend, if you were a fan would you have the same thoughts? The future is Miggy. Think of it this way..if Miggy wasnt here how would we replace him? We don't know how to draft, 2 15m players wouldn't be worth Miggy..Miggy walks and we have a cheaper team and a worst team.

So basically who could you get for 30m? And I'm not talking about young studs where you have no chance to get. Realistically how do you replace him..? Will five 6m guys be better, 3 10m guys?

Last edited:
The Red Sox? They spend, if you were a fan would you have the same thoughts? The future is Miggy. Think of it this way..if Miggy wasnt here how would we replace him? We don't know how to draft, 2 15m players wouldn't be worth Miggy..Miggy walks and we have a cheaper team and a worst team.

Again my issue is not about spending. It's about HOW they spend and whether or not that impacts other moves they can make. I love Miggy as much as any Tiger fan here, but what 10 year deal for a guy his age has ever worked out? I never said let him walk. I would loved to have signed him to maybe a 5 year 150 million extension so that he's not eating up payroll with much less production in his twilight years. In conjunction, are we going to be able to afford other parts we need with JV, Miggy, Sanchez, and Scherzer possibly all on the books with mega huge deals and other guys looking to get raises? I don't know.

Again, I'm hoping things will all work out. The waters are just murky for me that's all.

So basically who could you get for 30m? And I'm not talking about young studs where you have no chance to get. Realistically how do you replace him..? Will five 6m guys be better, 3 10m guys?

My issue is not keeping him. It's how long they are keeping him for at the 30 million per year rate. I believe he's worth 30 million a year for the next 5 years, but probably not 10. Maybe he will be though? Who knows.

Again my issue is not about spending. It's about HOW they spend and whether or not that impacts other moves they can make. I love Miggy as much as any Tiger fan here, but what 10 year deal for a guy his age has ever worked out? I never said let him walk. I would loved to have signed him to maybe a 5 year 150 million extension so that he's not eating up payroll with much less production in his twilight years. In conjunction, are we going to be able to afford other parts we need with JV, Miggy, Sanchez, and Scherzer possibly all on the books with mega huge deals and other guys looking to get raises? I don't know.

Again, I'm hoping things will all work out. The waters are just murky for me that's all.

How does this impact other moves? And let's say it does, so the alternative he walks then what? We have more money, so? And who says it won't effect other moves anyway..?

My issue is not keeping him. It's how long they are keeping him for at the 30 million per year rate. I believe he's worth 30 million a year for the next 5 years, but probably not 10. Maybe he will be though? Who knows.

But you know most won't sign like that. It's either leave in two or go get the 10. Miggy knows in five years he won't get 30m. So it comes down to ten years or two..

Last edited:
But you know most won't sign like that. It's either leave in two or go get the 10. Miggy knows in five years he won't get 30m. So it comes down to ten years or two..

Exactly. We all want to sign him to a 4-5 year deal but we can't do that or he's gone. Unfortunately that's how baseball works...which is why you saw Cano get a huge long term deal at 30+ years of age. So you either have to sign a guy to way more years than you really want to or your fine with letting him walk after his current deal expires...maybe you get a couple picks if you trade him as a rental.

Personally I wish it was a rule that no one could ever sign more than a 4-5 year deal in any sport....but that will never happen.

Pizza man spends all this money on a few players but why can't he tell DD to spend more money on our role and bench players?

It really makes no sense to have such subpar depth as we have had the last few 5-10 years.. The turnaround is great since 2006 but it seems like we are running out of time to win the WS... Just my opinion but 300 large over 10 years for MC is just to much...

It's easier to build depth when you actually draft well...which the Tigers don't. You can only buy so much.

It's easier to build depth when you actually draft well...which the Tigers don't. You can only buy so much.

I agree our drafts have been subpar.....But you can also spend wisely on free agents and have better depth also...

Kieth Law is all up in arms over something involving Cabrera? I'm shocked!

Once he gets done fellating Mike Trout for the 36,782nd time, he will probably have more to say.

Kieth Law is all up in arms over something involving Cabrera? I'm shocked!

Once he gets done fellating Mike Trout for the 36,782nd time, he will probably have more to say.

Keith Law is a f'n eunuch who blows dead goats.
I posted that if Trout was 30 going on 31 and 'He' got Miggy's long contract, all those writers for the huge media sites; espn, fox, yahoo, heyman, rosenthal, passan, olney would be saying it was a great signing.

In early 2001, Derek Jeter signed a contract for 10/$189 Mil, which was around the same time A-Rod (25) signed for 10/$252 Mil.

Including bonuses, A-Rod made $184.5 Mil in 7 years, before signing another extension in December 2007, this time for 10/$275 Mil.

So how much inflation from 2001 until 2014? In 2002, Carlos Delgado was making $19.4 Mil (A-Rod = $22 Mil in 2002).

2014 Kershaw (25) 7/$215 = $30.7 Mil
2014 M. Cabrera (30) 10/$292 = $29.2 Mil
2007 A-Rod (31) 10/$275 = $27.5 Mil
2013 Verlander (30) 7/$180 = $25.7 Mil
2013 F. Hernandez (26) 7/$175 = $25 Mil
2012 Greinke (29) 6/$147 = $24.5 Mil
2011 Pujols (30) 10/$240 = $24.0 Mil
2013 Cano (31) 10/$240 = $24.0 Mil
2012 Fielder (27) 9/$214 = $23.8 Mil
2010 J. Mauer (26) 8/$184 = $23.0 Mil
2012 Votto (28) 10/$225 = $22.5 Mil
2008 Teixeira (28) 8/$180 = $22.5 Mil
2011 A. Gonzalez (29) 7/$154 = $22.0 Mil
2013 Ellsbury (30) 7/$153 = $21.9 Mil
2010 Crawford (29) 7/$143 = $20.2 Mil
2011 M. Kemp (27) 8/$160 Mil = $20.0 Mil

If Cabrera signed for 10/$257 Mil, same average salary as Verlander, would there be much alarm? If not, then we are talking about $35 Mil difference spread out over 10 years.

Last edited:
Back