Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers negotiate and extend Miggy 8 years at under $300M

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/266596...ses-eightyear-extension-with-tigers/?c_id=det
Webvideo Miggy on extension with Tigers. Miguel Cabrera discusses his eight-year extension with the Tigers that will keep him under contract through at least 2023 with the club.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/266596...i-on-cabreras-record-eightyear-deal/?c_id=det
Webvideo Dombrowski on Cabrera's contract. Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski discusses the team's eight-year extension with slugger Miguel Cabrera.

from the Tigers official site

Last edited:
even if we only get another 6 years of his awesomeness, He's still been worth it. imo

Thanks for the article KC.

Just like everyone else I worry that this contract could look awful over the last 5 years, but Miggy is now most likely a Tiger for life. We get to watch the best hitter of this generation on our team for the rest of his career.

Thanks for the article KC.

Just like everyone else I worry that this contract could look awful over the last 5 years, but Miggy is now most likely a Tiger for life. We get to watch the best hitter of this generation on our team for the rest of his career.

You're welcome F4TMike.
All the Tigers need is to Win the World Series, and the last 3/4 years of Miggy's contract won't hurt or bother some nearly as much.

No reason to think that Cabrera will do anything but rake for the next 7-9 years.

he might but the odds are against it.

The thing that gives me hope is Miggy doesn't rely on being an incredible athlete to be a great hitter. Between the ages of 35-39 Hank Aaron hit 44, 38, 47, 34 and 40 home runs. His batting averages were .300, .298, .327, .265 and .301. It can be done.

I don't really understand who sets that odds that make it against them.

David Ortiz is 37 and for the last 4 years has put up an .850+ OPS and has really shown no signs of slowing down, and Miggy is a better hitter. So to say the odds are against him being able to rake at 38 is just being negative.

It's going to be fun rooting for him to get 3000 hits, 600 home runs and when he gets elected into the hall. That's worth a few million.

I don't really understand who sets that odds that make it against them.

David Ortiz is 37 and for the last 4 years has put up an .850+ OPS and has really shown no signs of slowing down, and Miggy is a better hitter. So to say the odds are against him being able to rake at 38 is just being negative.

The reason the odds are against it is there are very few that actually do produce at that age. You point out Ortiz, others point out Hank Aaron but for each example of someone that is good at an old age there are dozens of players that were washed up at that age. I hope he does have a .900+ OPS in the last 4 years of his 10 year deal...he will need to!

The reason the odds are against it is there are very few that actually do produce at that age. You point out Ortiz, others point out Hank Aaron but for each example of someone that is good at an old age there are dozens of players that were washed up at that age. I hope he does have a .900+ OPS in the last 4 years of his 10 year deal...he will need to!

We are not talking about dozens of players, we are talking about the elite ones.

So if I am reading this right, even if the the Tigers choose not to exercise the options they will have to give him an additional $8M to not play for them?

"After the 2023 season, ten years from now, there are two option years. The options are team options for $ 30 million each for the 2024- 2025 seasons. The options will vest automatically if Cabrera finishes among the top ten in the league's MVP voting the previous season. If both options are picked up by the team or are triggered, that would bring the total of the extension to ten years and $ 308 million. The options include an $ 8 million buyout should they not vest and the club decides not to exercise the options."

So if I am reading this right, even if the the Tigers choose not to exercise the options they will have to give him an additional $8M to not play for them?

"After the 2023 season, ten years from now, there are two option years. The options are team options for $ 30 million each for the 2024- 2025 seasons. The options will vest automatically if Cabrera finishes among the top ten in the league's MVP voting the previous season. If both options are picked up by the team or are triggered, that would bring the total of the extension to ten years and $ 308 million. The options include an $ 8 million buyout should they not vest and the club decides not to exercise the options."

those are common in every large contract, option years are bought out

8 years/$248M (2016-23), plus 2024-25 options

16-17:$28M annually, 18-21:$30M annually, 22-23:$32M annually, 24:$30M club option ($8M buyout), 25:$30M club option

2024-25 options guaranteed with top 10 finish in previous year’s MVP vote

In addition to $248 million in guaranteed salary from 2016 to 2025, Cabrera can earn up to $4 million annually in award bonuses. That includes $2 million for each MVP he wins and $1 million for each Triple Crown. For 2014 and 2015, his bonuses remain the same as they were in his previous deal.

Back