Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers sign SP Mike Pelfry and release him 3/30/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not saying much so who cares? He was one of the worst hitters in the league and Walks are the most overrated stat in the game.

jck.gif

Yeah, so? That's no proof I have an obsession, it's simply calling a spade a spade. If that was your proof then you failed (nothing new there).

Every poster has a history you can review. If you review your posts in the Tigers forum, 95% either have to deal with Avila or attacking me, or collectively the same. If that isn't an obsession, I don't know what it would be.

Every poster has a history you can review. If you review your posts in the Tigers forum, 95% either have to deal with Avila or attacking me, or collectively the same. If that isn't an obsession, I don't know what it would be.

Incorrect, and you must be pretty sensitive if you think I 'attack' you, then again one thing we know is you HATE to be wrong, you hate when someone has an opposing view of what you have, to the point to where you initiate attacks on other posters.

For an offensive player it is overrated, especially in the sabermetric crowd. I really don't care if you put up those gif images because it doesn't change my mind even in the slightest bit, I will always take a high BA player with low OBP over a high OBP player with low BA.

For an offensive player it is overrated, especially in the sabermetric crowd. I really don't care if you put up those gif images because it doesn't change my mind even in the slightest bit, I will always take a high BA player with low OBP over a high OBP player with low BA.

It's not that simple. No one is saying it's better to have .220 with a .340 OBP over a .290 with a .340 OBP. But look at our 2 catchers, Avila batted .197 and his OBP was much better. Over 40 points.

It's not that simple. No one is saying it's better to have .220 with a .340 OBP over a .290 with a .340 OBP. But look at our 2 catchers, Avila batted .197 and his OBP was much better. Over 40 points.

I'd still take McCann's offensive production over Avila's last season and going forward.

I'd still take McCann's offensive production over Avila's last season and going forward.

Of course you would. And I suppose you'd also take his defense too, eh? We might just set the record for HR's by pitchers this season.

Of course you would. And I suppose you'd also take his defense too, eh? We might just set the record for HR's by pitchers this season.

Absolutely since Avila isn't really a good defensive catcher, he's slow and unathletic behind and on the side of the plate, and are you really blaming our pitching sucking on McCann because that is ridiculous.

Speaking of stats if you look at pelfreys splits last year he pitched pretty good againts the royals.

Absolutely since Avila isn't really a good defensive catcher, he's slow and unathletic behind and on the side of the plate, and are you really blaming our pitching sucking on McCann because that is ridiculous.

That's based on your expert eyeball opinion right?

Really! This is a Pelfrey thread....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Avila to @MLBNetworkRadio: "There are people that feel that if Pelfrey pitches the 8th inning, he can be a really effective setup man."

I will have what he is smoking.

Avila has always been high on Pelfrey. Is there something there with this pitcher that the rest of us are not seeing? Maybe the scouts have spotted something positive.

We were all mad when Joba got signed, then he turned around and had a great season.

I am not a Pelfrey fan. But I would not be surprised if his numbers improved from last years. Why or how I don't know.

But this move when it was made seemed to be one of the worst in baseball.

This move still has me baffled

Last edited:
Avila has always been high on Pelfrey. Is there something there with this pitcher that the rest of us are not seeing? Maybe the scouts have spotted something positive.

We were all mad when Joba got signed, then he turned around and had a great season.

I am not a Pelfrey fan. But I would not be surprised if his numbers improved from last years. Why or how I don't know.

Joba had a great half season in 2014. His second half was poor, and 2015 was an abomination.

No one can predict when a player will have a career or fluke season. Or even a half of a season.

1987 Alan Trammell (29)

2000 Darin Erstad (26)

Even if Pelfrey does perform at acceptable level in 2016, it doesn't mean anything until it is repeated?

And if those career years (or valleys) are within a 3 year snapshot, it then skews that snapshot.

The fact that Cespedes had a career year in 2015 does not validate one person's take on him over another. Is it repeatable and sustainable for more than 2 years?

At 33, Pelrey's career and 3-years stats are very similar. 2008-2010 (ages 24-26) was probably his healthiest years:

2008-2010 Away (150 IP Min, 124 qualify)

107th xFIP 4.75
117th wOBA .373
119th WHIP 1.64

So even from 24-26, he was one of the worst starters in MLB. Even if DET has spotted something, how would you even begin to articulate what that mechanical change would do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back