Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers sign SP Mike Pelfry and release him 3/30/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pelfrey is what he is . And who knows , maybe hes finally healthy from TJ surgery and pitches well for us . As bad as he was last year , someone named Rick Porcello was even worse .

Just goes to show ya , ya never know what can happen . Not a fan of the signing but whatever , he will be who he is , a #5 .

Pelfrey is what he is . And who knows , maybe hes finally healthy from TJ surgery and pitches well for us . As bad as he was last year , someone named Rick Porcello was even worse .

Just goes to show ya , ya never know what can happen . Not a fan of the signing but whatever , he will be who he is , a #5 .

Statistically speaking, Pelfrey was far worse, if not the worst in 2015.

Well , i suppose the way you and i view stats is different then . Not gonna get into another argument with you .

If you could share some of your stats with me that would change my negative opinion on Pelfry I would like that. Maybe a little orange and blue Kool-Aid would be nice in January.

If you could share some of your stats with me that would change my negative opinion on Pelfry I would like that. Maybe a little orange and blue Kool-Aid would be nice in January.

Has a pretty cool name ..

He might not be worth 20 million but he hasn't been close to shitty.

Rick is better than Pelfry, but he was pretty fucking brutal last year. Yes, I'll go as far as saying he was shitty. Horrible on the road last year.

Rick is better than Pelfry, but he was pretty fucking brutal last year. Yes, I'll go as far as saying he was shitty. Horrible on the road last year.

I totally read that wrong. I thought you were talking Upton.

Last edited:

I dont have any miracle stats for you that would prove Pelfrey is good , sorry .

My answer was in response to Rebbiv saying statistically , Pelfrey was far worse than Porcello last year . I look up the stats and i just dont see it when comparing the two .

Porcello had one of the worst years in MLB last year . So thats why i responded the way i did , no Kool -Aid today for ya haha .

I dont have any miracle stats for you that would prove Pelfrey is good , sorry .

My answer was in response to Rebbiv saying statistically , Pelfrey was far worse than Porcello last year . I look up the stats and i just dont see it when comparing the two .

Porcello had one of the worst years in MLB last year . So thats why i responded the way i did , no Kool -Aid today for ya haha .

Damn it. I suppose hopes, dreams, and miracles will have to do for now.

Ya'll are being way too tough on Mike Pelfrey. He's certainly as good or better pitcher than Simon. He's had some bad luck with injuries, had a few bad outings, and faded a little down the stretch, but full healthy, he should have a better year with a better D and better overall team around him.

Certainly the Tigers did their due diligence, but there are causes for concern, and a 2 year deal is... unexpectedly generous, and he certainly isn't a steal at $8m.

He was a solid to good pitcher 2008-2011.
If he can stay healthy he is going to be very good for a bottom of the rotation guy. Backed by Greene/Norris/Boyd/Fulmer and a bull pen that can step in if he struggles I don't really see a reason to be alarmed.

I'm more concerned about Victor's knees, Maybin, Norris or Greene actually managing to be able to be starters for a full season, Sanchez being Sanchez, at least 4 out of the 7 pen guys actually being as good as billed, McCann and Castellanos offense, and Ausmus not managing to screw it all up.

Quality Starts
R. Porcello 14 of 28 Starts, 50.0%
M. Pelfrey 12 of 30 Starts, 40.0%
A. Simon 12 of 31 starts, 38.7%

xFIP
R. Porcello 3.72
M. Pelfrey 4.45
A. Simon 4.78

WHIP
R. Porcello 1.36
A. Simon 1.44
M. Pelfrey 1.48 (worst for MLB starter qualifiers)

K/BB
R. Porcello 3.92
M. Pelfrey 1.91
A. Simon 1.72 (worst for MLB starter qualifiers)

OPP AVG

A. Simon .270
R. Porcello .288
M. Pelfrey .301 (worst for MLB starter qualifiers)

Then we have ERA, one of the worst stats to use for comparison.

ERA
M. Pelrey 4.26
R. Porcello 4.92
A. Simon 5.05

Aside from ERA, which viable stat shows Porcello as worse?

http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox/porcello-cant-wait-second-year-red-sox

Prior to last year, Porcello was performing at the #3, with a possibility of being a #2. He failed, at least for 1/2 half a year. But it is just 1 season. But Pelfrey has never pitched beyond a #5 level in recent years and maybe never. 6 years separate the two and we are going to use just the 2015 season to make a case for each.

It would be nice to see what Porcello can do with a good infield defense, or at least a decent fielding third baseman.

For those that do this sort of thing, why not go bump the thread where I wasn't keen on the Alfredo Simon deal or my take on Shane Greene.

Considering that Ricky is making a heck of a lot more than Pelfrey, that makes Mike better.

So listen, you stat monkeys need to learn to contextualize your numbers.
First, if like every pitcher in baseball had Cy Young seasons, one of them would have the lowest ERA baseball. Would that pitcher be bad? NO!

A stat like OPP AVG has something to do with the bad defense behind the pitcher. Further, other stats mitigate the significance of that number. A ground ball pitcher who tends to induce grounders up the middle (and hopefully double plays) and has a knack for keeping the ball in the yard might be more valuable than a player with a lower OPP but who gives up liners and home runs more.

You guys have this tendency just to throw out the numbers like they are all that matters and like you are a genius for doing it.

What is the real difference between a WHIP 1.48 and .88? .6 or a little over 1 walk or hit per 2 innings indicates what exactly about a pitcher's effectiveness?
Yeah, WHIP seems like a completely meaningless stat on its own.

Last edited:
Considering that Ricky is making a heck of a lot more than Pelfrey, that makes Mike better.

First, if like every pitcher in baseball had Cy Young seasons, one of them would have the lowest ERA baseball. Would that pitcher be bad? NO!

A stat like OPP AVG has something to do with the bad defense behind the pitcher. Further, other stats mitigate the significance of that number. A ground ball pitcher who tends to induce grounders up the middle (and hopefully double plays) and has a knack for keeping the ball in the yard might be more valuable than a player with a lower OPP but who gives up liners and home runs more.

You guys have this tendency just to throw out the numbers like they are all that matters and like you are a genius for doing it.

What is the real difference between a WHIP 1.48 and .88? .6 or a little over 1 walk or hit per 2 innings indicates what exactly about a pitchers effectiveness?

the difference between a guy with a .88 WHIP and one who has a 1.48 is huge! It is the difference between being one of the best pitchers in baseball to being below average. Over the course of a year it probably means about 2 runs per 9 innings pitched.

What is the real difference between a WHIP 1.48 and .88? .6 or a little over 1 walk or hit per 2 innings indicates what exactly about a pitchers effectiveness?

Hey guys look, we have another Ophthalmologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back