Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. orioles ALDS Game 3 October 5

As suspected 2 mario says he thinks there is a good chance victor won't be back, I agree..he wants to win it, that's not going to happen here..

I think he ends up going back to Cleveland is my bet

Yea they're real close of getting there?

Well, the season ended up how I predicted it would: won the division, lost the ALDS. Didn't think we'd get swept, but we absolutely deserved that. Played like shit.

Agree. This team had way too many holes to make any kind of a meaningful run in the playoffs, but I certainly didn't think they'd get swept.

Let's face it. We got a leadoff hitter who cannot hit or get on base. And he hasn't since June. And some think Avila is the problem and him drawing walks is a negative. Christ what I would like a top of the order than actually got on base and a left handed power bat. We trade a player because he "failed" in the playoffs for someone who was supposed to be good in the playoffs. Guess what, he was probably the worst regular in the playoffs.

2014 DET leadoff hitters when they started the game by getting on base = .416 BAVG .445 OBP

2013 DET leadoff hitters when they didn't get on base to start the game = .244 BAVG .270 OBP

2014 Kinsler when he didn't start the game getting on base = .243 BAVG .264 OBP

That is all season. Not just since June.

I also know we have no other "traditional" option for leadoff on this team.

The bull pen is the bull pen. The team philosophy isn't changing, so adding another "closer" isn't changing it.

The offense chasing pitches outside of the zone and "being aggressive", is also an organizational philosophy and that isn't changing. Carrera looked good in the minors and drawing walks. He gets the call up and all of a suddenly forgets to draw walks. Same with Suarez. He was fine when he first got called up. And then he stopped drawing walks.

Unfortunately, we have Tiger fans that are sabermetrically challenged and they cannot infer the significance of this point.

This team is built to win in the regular season, not the playoffs. 2006 was probably the best chance we had.

If Victor leaves, Miggy needs to become the DH and we need to get a decent 1B. A healthy Miggy is still the best hitter in the game, and DH'ing will help keep him healthy.

I think Miggy is going to fight being a DH for a couple more years. He likes playing in the field.

Considering most likely NONE of our free agents will be back, we would be able to work with $57 million. I would target Yasmani Tomas for RF, Pablo Sandoval for 3B, Move Nick C. to LF. Ervin Santana to replace Scherzer. Go after Uehara, Romo, Miller etc for the bullpen. Uehara and Romo could be cheap, considering they were removed from their closing roles, but still have decent stats for the year. Keep Soria, AA, and hopefully have Rondon back. We should be able to do all that with $57 million. Probably have to keep Davis for CF unless we trade Nick C or Kinsler for a CFer.

If Coke and Chamberlain are back next year, I wont watch. I know Nathan is still under contract.

Another typical dogshit playoff for Avila (556 OPS) which is actually 100 points higher than his career postseason OPS. the guy is a terrible terrible hitter.

IMO alex should retire it's not about baseball anymore it's about his future Health, even Jahvid best had fewer blows to the head than alex has

Avila has a concussion. This is his third one. As much as I love him, I think he needs to retire for his health.

Yeah, I think Alex is done. I like him. He's not a good hitter, but a great guy and leader. This team is going to look very different next year. Hunter probably retiring as well.

As of right now, most likely.

Kinsler 2B
?? RF
Cabrera 1B
?? DH
?? C
J.D. Martinez LF
Rajai Davis CF
Iglesias SS
Nick C. 3B

That is an awful offensive team. However, there are some guys we could get to help. May have to overpay, but we overpayed for Hunter, and probably for Victor too, considering he was mostly DH and missed an entire season. Or we could trade Kinsler and Price for Major league ready prospects and just go the Free agent route to replace those two guys. Easier said than done, of course.

Yeah, I think Alex is done. I like him. He's not a good hitter, but a great guy and leader. This team is going to look very different next year. Hunter probably retiring as well.

As of right now, most likely.

Kinsler 2B
?? RF
Cabrera 1B
?? DH
?? C
J.D. Martinez LF
Rajai Davis CF
Iglesias SS
Nick C. 3B

That is an awful offensive team. However, there are some guys we could get to help. May have to overpay, but we overpayed for Hunter, and probably for Victor too, considering he was mostly DH and missed an entire season. Or we could trade Kinsler and Price for Major league ready prospects and just go the Free agent route to replace those two guys. Easier said than done, of course.

The only way we trade Kinsler is by taking on another bad contract. That is why we got him in the first place. He is not a $16 Mil a year player. Not even close.

Kinsler is 1 player on the team that played his ass off EVERY night, which is more than you can say about 90% of the roster. even with that atrocious 2nd half the guy kept making huge plays defensively. Avila is junk, needs to be replaced immediately, the guy is a AWFUL hitter, a COMPLETE liability vs LHP and overrated defensively. He should consider retiring even if he didn't keep getting concussed.

Last edited:
Kinsler is 1 player on the team that played his ass off EVERY night, which is more than you can say about 90% of the roster. even with that atrocious 2nd half the guy kept making huge plays defensively. Avila is junk, needs to be replaced immediately, the guy is a AWFUL hitter, a COMPLETE liability vs LHP and overrated defensively. He should consider retiring even if he didn't keep getting concussed.

Does Kinsler know you have such a man crush on him?

Back