Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. redsox Game Thread April 8

Too early to think any measurement of Fielder will be a permanent one. The AL will be adjusting to Fielder's bat for months. Our best measuring stick will be watching Prince adjust to rival team adjustments.

Then we will find out just how good Prince's bat really is. I'm already impressed thou. I love the way he covers the entire field. For such a big-body, he's got quick reaction-time and a nice contact-eye for reading pitches.

We already know Prince has an elite bat.

Its all about OBP and Prince is king over Martinez. Prince is a better bat behind Miguel over Martinez. Better OBP, Power and a .300 hitter himself. And don't overlook the benefit of more fastballs. Miguel could even get better..

It's got nothing to do with OBP Mitch.

You have to look at it from the viewpoint of an opposing manager/pitcher, if you walk Cabrera who is easier to get out. Prince is much easier to strike out, and is less likely to get a base hit than Vmart.

I'm not hating on Prince, I'm just saying with runners on (such as an IBB'd Cabrera) Vmart is a more dangerous hitter, less chance of a HR than Prince, and less chance of a walk, but a higher chance overall of making an out, which is the reason you walk Cabrera, so the next guy hopefully makes an out.

Also like msjb said, I don't think they have pitched Cabrera and differently so far this season, and it's kind of insane to assume a pitcher would throw Cabrera more fastballs because of anyone. Cabrera is the scary one.

Those managers you speak of aren't thinking about who is easier to strike out. They're thinking about the potential long ball. I love Martinez but Prince is more scary and in theory should help Miguel more.

The MVP of the NL was IBB only twice in front of Fielder. There is a reason. Martinez was awesome after a Miguel walk but Miguel still got IBB. I doubt you see those type of IBB this season.

Coming over to the AL makes mince-meat of some NL hitters.

Signed
Adam Dunn

We will find out just how good Prince hits in another month or two. Pitchers are ahead of hitters normally right now. Plus Prince needs a round against all his division foes first.

I'm more interested in how Prince fares in Round 2 and beyond this summer. With a lineup like Detroit's, Fielder could have his best "hits" season ever.

I won't include 'walks" in that equation. We aren't paying him 225M to walk. Ilitch wants to see Prince's bat-at-work for 10 years.

Oh wait - not sure if Mike will live 10 more.
Scratch that!!!

Last edited:
Those managers you speak of aren't thinking about who is easier to strike out. They're thinking about the potential long ball. I love Martinez but Prince is more scary and in theory should help Miguel more.

Well, we disagree then.

Signed
Adam Dunn

And if Dunn's 2011 was a fluke?

I don't think it had anything to do with pitching, he would have been bad in the N.L. too.

Signed
Adam Dunn

We will find out just how good Prince hits in another month or two. Pitchers are ahead of hitters normally right now. Plus Prince needs a round against all his division foes first.

I'm more interested in how Prince fares in Round 2 and beyond this summer. With a lineup like Detroit's, Fielder could have his best "hits" season ever.

I won't include 'walks" in that equation. We aren't paying him 225M to walk. Ilitch wants to see Prince's bat-at-work for 10 years.

Oh wait - not sure if Mike will live 10 more.
Scratch that!!!

Sorry, I love Victor Martinez and he was outstanding last year behind Cabrera, but if you polled 32 MLB Managers all 32 would rather have to pitch to Martinez than Fielder. He's just a better overall hitter than Martinez and has the track record of power and smart hitting.

Rareness:

3. TIGERS USE RARE COMEBACK TO SWEEP RED SOX: Miguel Cabrera hit a game-tying three-run home run in the ninth inning and Alex Avila hit a two-run walk-off home run in the 11th inning to give the Detroit Tigers a 13-12 win over the Boston Red Sox to complete the three-game sweep. FROM ELIAS: This is the first time that the Red Sox have ever lost a game in which they held multiple-run leads twice in the ninth inning or later and it's the second time that the Tigers have won a game in this fashion, the first since September 28, 1929 against the Chicago White Sox.

I mentioned Adam because in the winter of 2010-2011, you were rooting for the Tigers to sign Dunn. So pardon me for questioning your analyst-ability.

Plus you are only 20 years-old. So I have the right to reserve your handicapping abilities. I have game tickets older than you. I have glove conditioner probably older than your father.

I may have sat next to your grandfather at Tiger Stadium.

Last edited:
Back