Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. White Sox Game Thread, April 22

By contrast, his past 15 PA's before today(covering the past 4 games) he had a .133 BAVG and .200 OBP. with 6 strikeouts.

I am not going to continue this. It is all about which sample you choose. And for some, they will always hate Avila and always use the sample that makes their argument, which you are doing right now.

If a player starts the season hitting .182 after 17 games, when do you stop getting on his case? Victor did just that last year. Now Avila is no Victor, but the principles are the same.

I am not going to continue this. It is all about which sample you choose. And for some, they will always hate Avila and always use the sample that makes their argument, which you are doing right now.

If a player starts the season hitting .182 after 17 games, when do you stop getting on his case? Victor did just that last year. Now Avila is no Victor, but the principles are the same.

I like Avila for what he is. A good catcher. However, 2 good games out of every 7 offensively, with horrid numbers in between is about what we can expect from him. It will make his numbers overall somewhat respectable.

Avila career

.252/.348/.763

if he could just do that this year I will be happy!

Problem is, he has only matched or exceeded those totals in just one of his 5 big league seasons. Let's be honest, without 2011, his career numbers are pretty awful.

I don't see a problem with that.

That would be great production out of the catcher....likely top 10 in OPS. The problem is he has regressed each year since his career year in 2011. I would be happy with his 2012 slash of .243/.352/.736 too...that would be huge for the team. Somebody on this team needs to produce above expectations!

Problem is, he has only matched or exceeded those totals in just one of his 5 big league seasons. Let's be honest, without 2011, his career numbers are pretty awful.

MLB AVG C OPS vs Avila's OPS

2013 = .698 vs .693

2012 = .718 vs .736

2011 = .703 vs .895

Arguably, Avila has been at least average over the last 3 years. He will most likely never repeat a season line 2011, but yet everyone wants to use that as his standard.

The problem is so many think a catcher should hit like Joe Mauer. Pudge being here for so long got people used to a C being a superstar.

Ball up in the zone Miggy was all over it.

With 7.0 innings pitched tonight, Justin Verlander now ranks 13th on the Tigers all-time innings pitched list with 1805.0.

The problem is so many think a catcher should hit like Joe Mauer. Pudge being here for so long got people used to a C being a superstar.

I think with Avila people just got too excited(me included) with that 2011 season as a 24 year old and just put too high expectations on him. I think his health has been a big reason why he's had some really rough stretches.

Back