Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tired of talking about 2013 and before.....

boogerlovejoy

It's early....before training camp early.....but who is everyone excited to see take the field? Also, who do you think LEAST deserves the PT he's going to get.

I'll start.....

Me......easily Van Noy. I see him as an Urlacher type defender. I know they play different positions.....however.....Urlacher was never a take on and shed MLB....more of a read and react LB that happened to play the middle.

Van Noy will at times rush, is VERY good in coverage, and can find the ball and make plays. I don't expect high sack totals from him, maybe 5-6 a season....but he will be considered a playmaker and every down LB when the season ends.

As far as least excited to see.....probably Quin. To me, he is nothing more than average. For such a good cover S.....he makes very few impact plays. Being solid is great, but what this franchise has missed for so long is a S that can go get it. Fuck, the last one we had was.......wait for it......

"Big Play" Willie Clay. He wasn't great, but he'd make you pay big a few times every year. Quin is Clay, minus the big plays.

The Lions need to be looking for S help for next year.

Quin had the lowest QB rating allowed of any safety in the league. He had 3 picks, forced a fumble and recoverad a fumble and 2 sacks. Your opinion needs to be changed on Quin.

I'm excited about Ansah/Taylor/Slay in year 2.

Last edited:
Quin had the lowest QB rating allowed of any safety in the league. He had 3 picks, forced a fumble and recoverad a fumble. Your opinion needs to be changed on Quin.

I'm excited about Ansah/Taylor/Slay in year 2.

what was Slay's QB rating against?

It's funny Slays 3 worst games. Min Week 1, Dallas, at Chicago. All Lions wins.

sure...pick the games you thought he played well and ignore the other 13 games. Just like you LKP

He didn't play in 4 others and played 4 and 6 snaps against Pit and Tampa.

3 worst games by Slay, Lions won the game.

Before this devolves into another thread where LKP trolls the board...

I'm excited to see what Ansah does in year 2. He showed flashes and as raw as he is, I feel his growth rate could be very fast.

I'm also excited to see what Nick Fairley does in a contract year. It might mean he isn't a Lion after this season but if he has a monster year it will mean big things for the defense.

For me I am always interested in seeing what Stafford does. If he doesn't complete at least 60% of his passes and have his INT rate below 3% he never will.

I'm going away from players and look at the coaching staff. Does Caldwell's so called calming presence translate into good decision making on the sideline and non retardedness on the field. Lombardi and Austin are huge ? neither of them have called a game. How does Stafford and company pick up a new offense - first time with a new o - coordinator. How does the Secondary respond to a new defense?

We've seen all the players, barring the rookies, but the real wildcard is the new staff. If we have the LKP talent they may be able to put together some wins if the coaching is capable. If they are in over their head the whole ship collapses - Suh and Fairley likely gone, Mayhew maybe (although I doubt it), Stafford may compete with a rookie - who knows? But it is all on them to straighten things out asap since the whole organization is saying we are in win now mode.

Last edited:
A few players for me actually......

Ansah. Needs to step up. Showed flashes, needs to make an immediate impact and keep rolling all year.

Slay. The new #1 now. He doesn't come off the field anymore. Time to prove your worth

Ebron. #10 overall pick.....another guy who needs to at least show some consistency and become a threat in more ways than one. Needs to take pressure off guys like CJ, Tate, Bush and Bell.

Stafford. Needs to be smarter. Working with actual postion coaches should help. I think he has a huge year....

Last edited:
Theo Riddick starts his Pro-Bowl chase begins in 12 days! Though I bet he shows up with the rookies eight days from now. I think the kid just needs a chance, I liked the way he played at ND.

Ebron is the guy I want to watch. Can he catch?

Could you imagine the backlash if he can't? I won't even entertain the thought, I can't handle it.

I won't be surprised if he starts out much the same as Pettigrew. Too open to catch. Young twitchy guys like him start making their moves before they bring the ball in.

I think Ebron will help. Even if he is dropping passes I think he can open up the field for Calvin and Tate not to mention the RBs out of the backfield.

Stafford is the guy, pre-season doesn't matter. What will he do every week? Does he make that step now that he seems to have every weapon a QB could ask for?

Last edited:
Slay Van Noy Ansah are the future of this team if they can progress.

A lot of pressure on Stafford this year....almost not fair to put that much on him with a new ocord that has never ran an offense before. Theres really no telling how this turns out. im 50/50 on Caldwell/Lombardi being able to teach Stafford the proper way of running an offense. Im 50/50 on Stafford being able to execute an offense. CJ, Tate, Ebron, Bush, Bell, Pettigrew.....youd think itd be difficult to fuck that up.

Hughes, he's out of free passes. He worked with Linehan basically his entire career, so it's just one OC switch. If he's gone between coaches every year, I'd understand him having struggles. It's now or never with him. He's a veteran, he knows what is involved with being a QB.

Back