Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tired of talking about 2013 and before.....

Pettigrew regressed and missed 2 games, Calvin hurt and missed 2 games, limited in others, Burleson missed 7 games compared to playing 16 and no good WR 3 compared to 16 of a sane talented Titus Young. And no Scheffler for 10 games though Fauria did well in redzone. Bush for 13.5 instead of Best for 6.

Plus the whole predicatbility of Linehan's offense in 2013 which wasn't there in 2011.

Stafford had it much tougher in 2013.

Pettigrew regressed and the genius GM re-signed him?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/sea/seattle-seahawks

If Detroit only had 3,300 yards passing they would go 0-16 again.

Seattle doesn't win because of Wilson.

Detroit relied on Stafford to win.

Keep Detroits defense healthy, we could rely on the defense. But too many CB,DE and safety injuries in the past.

First point is Seattle built a TEAM...the Lions seem to want to build a passing attack and fill in the holes from there. That doesn't work. Secondly, look at Wilson's yards per attempt, his completion %, his low INT rate and his excellent passer rating.

First point is Seattle built a TEAM...the Lions seem to want to build a passing attack and fill in the holes from there. That doesn't work. Secondly, look at Wilson's yards per attempt, his completion %, his low INT rate and his excellent passer rating.

Stafford int rate is just fine given his attempts and ints that are actually his fault.

Detroit has a defense and run game too. Too many injuries.

The point is Seattles least important piece got hurt in Harvin/Rice.

Last edited:
Stafford int rate is just fine given his attempts and ints that are actually his fault.

Detroit has a defense and run game too. Too many injuries.

The point is Seattles least important piece got hurt in Harvin/Rice.

stop with the "his fault" shit! Every QB has some that may not have been his fault and probably has even more that should have been picked off that weren't because the DB couldn't make the play.

stop with the "his fault" shit! Every QB has some that may not have been his fault and probably has even more that should have been picked off that weren't because the DB couldn't make the play.

7 of the 19 were not his fault. It's a fact. Watch the damn tape and you'll agree with me.

Every QBs had should have picks too. Defense didn't capitalize and they are shown in incompletions.

Stafford is not int prone is the point. With weapons, less predictability and better coachings, his ints will drop a ton.

Smile, they haven't been trying. That's the thing. It's not like they just woke up and said, "dang, our secondary sucks we better make improvements!" They haven't acknowledged the problem for as long as I've been alive. It's no secret that you need guys who can make plays in the backfield. The Lions have been allergic to drafting high-level players, and instead have deferred to picking up 2nd TEs, slot WRs (Broyles, Young).

7 of the 19 were not his fault. It's a fact. Watch the damn tape and you'll agree with me.

Every QBs had should have picks too. Defense didn't capitalize and they are shown in incompletions.

Stafford is not int prone is the point. With weapons, less predictability and better coachings, his ints will drop a ton.

right...every QB has picks that were made that might not be his fault and others that weren't made. It all averages out but when you compare Stafford to other QBs you only "count" him as having 12 INTs when he ACTUALLY had 19. If Wilson has 9 you count all of his. If Manning had 10 you count all of his. YOU are the only one who does this. You make up these imaginary stats like "true wins", "real INTs", "winning plays"

Smile, they haven't been trying. That's the thing. It's not like they just woke up and said, "dang, our secondary sucks we better make improvements!" They haven't acknowledged the problem for as long as I've been alive. It's no secret that you need guys who can make plays in the backfield. The Lions have been allergic to drafting high-level players, and instead have deferred to picking up 2nd TEs, slot WRs (Broyles, Young).

Yes they have.

2nd round pick on Slay, 3rd round pick on Bentley, Quin and Ihedigbo in free agency. That's addressing the secondary. Takes time for the young CBs to develop. This is a big year to prove it for most of them. Quin is already proven. Ihedigbo fits the strong safety spot to a tee and should contribute more positive than negative.

right...every QB has picks that were made that might not be his fault and others that weren't made. It all averages out but when you compare Stafford to other QBs you only "count" him as having 12 INTs when he ACTUALLY had 19. If Wilson has 9 you count all of his. If Manning had 10 you count all of his. YOU are the only one who does this. You make up these imaginary stats like "true wins", "real INTs", "winning plays"

I only count 7 for Wilson.

And Stafford at 12 ints in 634 attempts, a rate of 1.8 % is something you can be very happy about. Rodgers is 1.3% in comparison on ints his fault in comparison. Stafford is not int prone.

Last edited:

You forgot "true completion percentage".

Here, I'll give it to you like this. Slay is the highest ranked CB they have taken in awhile. Bentley will be gone in a year or two. Quin is good, can't argue that. Ihedigbo is not a good player. He's a low impact, "safe" guy. That's not what the Lions need.

The Lions do not care about fixing their secondary. They never have. That's why they have rarely addressed the position in 15+ years. Drafting Slay doesn't suddenly mean they care about the position. They realized it was a sinking ship, and had to slap some gauze on it. The defensive backfield is still awful, and they did NOTHING to address it in the draft. Instead, they went with a 2nd TE when the team already had Calvin, Tate, Pettigrew (who they just resigned), great o-line, and RBs that can catch. All because the franchise QB can't throw the ball where it needs to be, so they gotta add more "weapons."

I only count 7 for Wilson.

And Stafford at 12 ints in 634 attempts, a rate of 1.8 % is something you can be very happy about. Rodgers is 1.3% in comparison on ints his fault in comparison. Stafford is not int prone.

Stafford's career INT% is 3%. His INT per game started is 1.2 per game. That is about 19 per 16 game season. His completion % has been around 59% throughout most of his career. Those numbers have been very consistent during his career.

Don't care about fixing their secondary? Maybe, just maybe, Slay pans out, they found a replacement for Delmas immediately, they drafted a cornerback to challenge for Bentleys job, theyve got 3 young guys (Green, Greenwood, Vaughn) that imo could possibly challenge Mathis' job by the START of the season, otherwise be solid depth. Let's not forget vaughn either..more depth. I honestly think it sucks that we probably won't be able to keep all these corners. Slay, Mathis, Bentley, Lawson, Green, Greenwood, Vaughn. We are set at corner, and solid at safety.

I hate the way you guys have already written off this secondary, alot of you guys dont even give these guys time to develop, you just label them not worthy. While I agree this is a make or break year for Bentley, Green, and Greenwood, I dont think we've seen enough of them to label them just yet. I blame their lack of pt on the old staff, and fully believe Green or Greenwood wouldve and shouldve taken Chris Houstons job last year if given the opportunity. These guys are going to surprise you in a good way THIS YEAR, mark my words.

Last edited:
Here, I'll give it to you like this. Slay is the highest ranked CB they have taken in awhile. Bentley will be gone in a year or two. Quin is good, can't argue that. Ihedigbo is not a good player. He's a low impact, "safe" guy. That's not what the Lions need.

The Lions do not care about fixing their secondary. They never have. That's why they have rarely addressed the position in 15+ years. Drafting Slay doesn't suddenly mean they care about the position. They realized it was a sinking ship, and had to slap some gauze on it. The defensive backfield is still awful, and they did NOTHING to address it in the draft. Instead, they went with a 2nd TE when the team already had Calvin, Tate, Pettigrew (who they just resigned), great o-line, and RBs that can catch. All because the franchise QB can't throw the ball where it needs to be, so they gotta add more "weapons."

Bentley will be gone. Wow Mr. Negative. Glad you can see the future too.

Slay and Bentley selection and then development is addressing the secondary. Plus Quin/Ihedigbo were recent adds. You don't have to take a 1st to address something every time. Ebron>Dennard/Fuller. So we took Ebron. Speed TE/slot was a bigger need anyway and it happened to have a better prospect available. Get over it.

Slay and Mathis could start over Dennard in 2014 regardless.

Bentley and Lawson might end up being a wash, but don't we have to keep them both around for depth at nickle, regardless of which one wins the starting spot???

Bentley will be gone. Wow Mr. Negative. Glad you can see the future too.

Slay and Bentley selection and then development is addressing the secondary. Plus Quin/Ihedigbo were recent adds. You don't have to take a 1st to address something every time. Ebron>Dennard/Fuller. So we took Ebron. Speed TE/slot was a bigger need anyway and it happened to have a better prospect available. Get over it.

Slay and Mathis could start over Dennard in 2014 regardless.

So you can see the future too? How do you know Ebron will be better than Dennard / Fuller?

So you can see the future too? How do you know Ebron will be better than Dennard / Fuller?

As a prospect he was rated higher. I know it's hard for you to understand things so I'll spell things out more for you.

Last edited:
Stafford's career INT% is 3%. His INT per game started is 1.2 per game. That is about 19 per 16 game season. His completion % has been around 59% throughout most of his career. Those numbers have been very consistent during his career.

Not all of those 16, 17 and 19 picks were his fault. Stafford is not int prone.

High drop % hurts his comp % and injured weapons hurt that too.

Stafford is low/mid 60%, 5,000 yard, 30 TD guy. He's a stud QB.

Back