Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 Compensatory Picks

If Julian Okwara is our only hope for a pass rush this team is more fucked thatn i thought and Holmes blows.

He is not our only hope. We have Flowers and Hand too. But also they are going to add players. Its pre free agency. Lets see what Holmes does before you say he sucks

Holmes got us a QB and tons of draft capital so far. So far he is doing well

Last edited:
He is not our only hope. We have Flowers and Hand too. But also they are going to add players. Its pre free agency. Lets see what Holmes does before you say he sucks

Holmes got us a QB and tons of draft capital so far. So far he is doing well

flowers isnt a double digit sack guy and Hands career high is 3.

So like i said...if Julian Okwara ends up being our saving grace. Then:
1) were fucked
2) Holmes sucks

You made my point for me....if you go an entire draft and FA period without upgrading from Julian Okwara....then you shouldnt be a GM,

flowers isnt a double digit sack guy and Hands career high is 3.

So like i said...if Julian Okwara ends up being our saving grace. Then:
1) were fucked
2) Holmes sucks

You made my point for me....if you go an entire draft and FA period without upgrading from Julian Okwara....then you shouldnt be a GM,

FA/draft hasn't started yet. And Flowers and Hand can provide consistent rush. More than sacks. Also need to play the run too so we don't get gashed there

FA/draft hasn't started yet. And Flowers and Hand can provide consistent rush. More than sacks. Also need to play the run too so we don't get gashed there

Didn't you guys say earlier we won't be signing players that make more than 2m?

Didn't you guys say earlier we won't be signing players that make more than 2m?

I said it and I referenced only veterans over 30. My point being we are not gonna commit money to a player who will not have a chance to be here long term. So no Richard Shermans/Melvin Ingram types.

Lions have plenty of options of what to do. Can create 28 million or more in cap space

And when goff goes 2-14 ill remind you that the $25mil in the bank would have been the better option to build your team.

And when goff goes 2-14 ill remind you that the $25mil in the bank would have been the better option to build your team.

They got plenty of draft capital and cap space to build. I'm ready for 2022, 2023 for good Lions football. They can go 2-14 in 2021 and get high draft picks. And if they go light on the signings, even more draft capital probably per the original poster. Two 3rds and two 4ths for 2022 possible on top of the extra 1st we already got.

It's a tank year bud. No need to remind anyone

And maybe Goff can have success in 2022 or 2023 on a very good deal/cap numbers for a starting QB

And if pick 7 works out on defense or WR or even Oline you will be very happy we didn't use it on a QB

Last edited:
#1 pick in 2022, I?m good with that.

Pick 1, Pick 22-32, Pick 33, Pick 65, comp 3rd, comp 3rd, Pick 90, Comp Round 4, comp Round 4. That's a nice haul for 2022 and beyond

Signed 2022-2025. And 1st rounders could be 2026

#1 pick in 2022, I?m good with that.

Think about that logically though....what/who are you going to pick at #1 overall. Sam Howell? If thats the case why not just pick a QB at #3 in 2020. Or at #7 in 2021 (or at #8 in 2021 if he would have taken the CAR offer).

Again..this just proves my point that he put the rebuild on hold for another year.

Think about that logically though....what/who are you going to pick at #1 overall. Sam Howell? If thats the case why not just pick a QB at #3 in 2020. Or at #7 in 2021 (or at #8 in 2021 if he would have taken the CAR offer).

Again..this just proves my point that he put the rebuild on hold for another year.

And no one seems to be bothered by it as we all get older.

Holmes maximized first rounders
4 non qb 1st round picks of 5 1st rounders better than 3 non qb picks out of 4 folks in 3 years.simple math. One extra first for compensation is not enough..we got 2 and a 3rd and goff. So if goff works out we have 5 1sts to rebuild.

And again the rebuild already started..we pick this year, we have fa, we have goff given a shot. Rebuild not on hold at all.

Also tough year for fa with lower cap and draft. Maximizing 2022 and 2023 when things are more normal is genius

Last edited:

Joe Burrow was not on the radar the year prior and he was a #1 overall pick. Players come out of nowhere all the time. Can't make decisions because of what may or may not be available next year. Maybe the Texans hold onto Watson this year, but the whole relationship gets much worse. Maybe they realize they need to get rid of him and we are sitting there with the #1 overall and an extra first, plus whatever else.

Honestly you are just made because you think with the Goff trade we are out on Trey Lance and you really wanted him.

Joe Burrow was not on the radar the year prior and he was a #1 overall pick. Players come out of nowhere all the time. Can't make decisions because of what may or may not be available next year. Maybe the Texans hold onto Watson this year, but the whole relationship gets much worse. Maybe they realize they need to get rid of him and we are sitting there with the #1 overall and an extra first, plus whatever else.

Honestly you are just made because you think with the Goff trade we are out on Trey Lance and you really wanted him.

Yep he zones in on like one guy and anybody who doesn't pick his guy is a bad GM or does the hindsight on guys even though there were other factors why we made a pick. 2014 WE REALLY NEEDED A TE, Ebron was ranked higher than Donald by many, signed Golden Tate and had two stud DTS we though we could resign. So therefore we pass on Donald and OBJ. And who the hell knows if we even resign Donald, if Donald would have gotten like 3 ACL tear in Detroit. If Donald would have been coached shittily and not as good or misused by Patricia. Donald would have been a FA after 2018 season anyway.

And we could even still take Lance if we want too and give him time to develop while throwing Goff to the wolves. And still have 4 1st round picks in 2022/2023 to build, as well as day 2 2021 with an extra 3rd, FA and rest of draft 2022/2023

The key for Holmes. Can he hit on day 2 and find a couple on day 3. If he can do that for the Lions, that is what all have been dreaming of.

Quinn hit on Round 1 with Decker, Ragnow, Hock. TBD Okudah, Davis no. Holmes maximized his chances in Round 1 with five first rounders in 3 years

Last edited:

I didnt really want Lance. I wanted a rookie QB contract so we could begin rebuilding our shitty defense. I really wanted Parsons. You could have had both at 7 and 8.

With a rookie qb contract we had a chance to actually address our defense. With Goff its settled....our defense is going from worst in the league to worst than the worst. You got LKP over here talking about D'Shawn Hand needing to play a big role lmao. Thats how bad it is...

I didnt really want Lance. I wanted a rookie QB contract so we could begin rebuilding our shitty defense. I really wanted Parsons. You could have had both at 7 and 8.

With a rookie qb contract we had a chance to actually address our defense. With Goff its settled....our defense is going from worst in the league to worst than the worst. You got LKP over here talking about D'Shawn Hand needing to play a big role lmao. Thats how bad it is...

It just seems everything your talking about is short sighted. Yes we aren't gonna be able to build a very good defense this year, but regardless if we didn't have Goff on the books that defense would still have sucked, just maybe a little bit less. Worst case on Goff is he completely blows this year and we draft a QB next year. We either trade him (if possible would be 0 cap hit), or cut him and take on 15mil in dead money (save 10mil). Best case is he gets back to the level of play from 2-3 years ago and we have a top 10 QB on a very reasonable contract for three more years. There is not a huge downside here.

I've detailed plenty of times on here, but it is not out of the realm of possibility to enter 2022 with 70mil+ cap space (with Goff) and a bunch of draft picks.

1st (top 3)
1st (Rams)
1st (Washington)
2nd (top 3)
2nd (giants)
3rd (top 3)
3rd (Comp
4th (top 3)
4th (comp)
5th (top 3)
6th (top 3)
6th (comp)
7th (top 3)
7th (comp).

Even if you remove the theoretical picks from a Golladay trade (still get a comp 3rd) and trade down in draft you still have a bunch of picks

1st (top 3)
1st (Rams)
2nd (top 3)
3rd (top 3)
3rd (Comp)
3rd (Comp)
4th (top 3)
4th (comp)
5th (top 3)
6th (top 3)
6th (comp)
7th (top 3)

Now say Goff plays reasonable well this year (above average), would you not be excited about next year with all that cap space available and draft capital? We could choose to draft Goff's replacement then or wait it out another year and still have flexibility to get a QB with two firsts in 2023.

As far as Hand, that guy was a good player as a rookie. Injuries and horrendous coaching have probably stunted his growth. I have no problem seeing what this coaching staff can do for him this year and counting on him as a starter. If he sucks then let him go as a FA next year, no harm no foul. That is the beauty of this year, we know we aren't going to win a lot of games so who the hell cares, lets find out what we already have on this roster.

We got 6 picks and free agency. Also Hand is actually solid, your assessment of him is poor. He needs to stay healthy, like 16 games not 10 games in a season

You under estimate the scheme and coaching changes too on the defense. Like all year or past 3 years really, everyone complained how bad the coaches were and how bad the schemes. Maybe just maybe a new scheme will improve the defense

Do we need faster LBS yes. Can we draft Parsons and keep Collins and be good, very much yes.

Do we need one safety. Yes. Can Walker regain his old form back at FS. Possible

Okudah, AO and new 3rd CB (after Coleman and Trufant cut). Can that work. Yes. Or we could keep Coleman too

Flowers injury was huge. He is a good player and improves this team. Julian Okwara potential, Hand potential if healthy. Do they need to add more at DE, DT, DE pass rushing OLB, yes. We have the draft and free agency.

Pay attention now, it all won't be fixed in one year, but fixing some, improves the defense along with coaching. Like Parsons, Flowers back playing well and Okudah taking a step forward, that alone would improve the defense. Maybe even an average defense. Will it be a good defense top 12 or so, probably not

And then like 1811 said, major cap space and tons of draft picks for 2022.

Last edited:
With the roster as it stands today, sportrac has us at 64.5mil in cap room for 2022. If we cut guys this year that we expect that have contracts that extend into 2022 (Coleman, James, etc). That would increase that number by 25mil, which puts us at 90mil. We can also cut Collins (save 10mil), Flowers (save 12mil), and Vatai (save 4mil) if needed. That would bring our 2022 total to 116mil in cap space. Now of course that is not figuring in any of the contracts we will be signing this year that are more then one years (whether draft picks or FA). Assuming we don't spend big in FA, and its unlikely we will, we should be in excellent shape. Now sportrac is also figuring the salary cap jumps back up next year to 209mil. To add to that though, I'm not figuring out any rollover cash that we might have either.

With all that said that is some major spending cash we could have available next year.

With the roster as it stands today, sportrac has us at 64.5mil in cap room for 2022. If we cut guys this year that we expect that have contracts that extend into 2022 (Coleman, James, etc). That would increase that number by 25mil, which puts us at 90mil. We can also cut Collins (save 10mil), Flowers (save 12mil), and Vatai (save 4mil) if needed. That would bring our 2022 total to 116mil in cap space. Now of course that is not figuring in any of the contracts we will be signing this year that are more then one years (whether draft picks or FA). Assuming we don't spend big in FA, and its unlikely we will, we should be in excellent shape. Now sportrac is also figuring the salary cap jumps back up next year to 209mil. To add to that though, I'm not figuring out any rollover cash that we might have either.

With all that said that is some major spending cash we could have available next year.

Exactly. The plans was to go big in 2022, 2023. And Holmes set us up very nicely for that.

Tons of cap space WITH GOFF. And Goff is talented enough to get a shot to be our QB of future. If he fails, then we draft one.

Who cares if we don't fix a ton in 2021. We will fix some things, coaching could fix some things and then 2022 we got a huge amount of fixes we can make.

Back