Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 Compensatory Picks

We don't need to try and sign top FA but we should try and sign good FA. Though not 25 years old's that were former 1st round picks that have been waived or released 8 times. Its very hard and lengthy to try to compete for a SB based on just drafting.

I don?t entirely disagree, but there?s no real benefit to signing any major FAs this year. The roster is a mess and FA should only be used to fill out the roster. Take your lumps in 21 (and probably 22), get your high picks, then open it up.

If paying (or overpaying) a couple of bigger FAs is the difference between 3 wins or 5 wins, I don?t see the point.

YES!! Our 2nd round pick RB will be our 3rd string!!

Way to go, Quinn. Finding value all over the board.

If Tavai can fill our 5th LB slot that would be awesome!!

I think Tavai only has value as the guy holding the dummies in practice. Maybe the guy who stands on the sled? Or the dummies laying on the ground the guys step or jump over in drills?

Seems that is all he does during games, so that is what he practices doing as practice makes perfect!

I think Tavai only has value as the guy holding the dummies in practice. Maybe the guy who stands on the sled? Or the dummies laying on the ground the guys step or jump over in drills?

Seems that is all he does during games, so that is what he practices doing as practice makes perfect!

I watched every Lions game last year....I genuinely believe Tavai would struggle to find an NFL job if he were a FA right now. Camp invite guy IMO

Glad we didn't grab AJ Brown, DK Metcalf or Chase Winovich with that pick.

I don’t entirely disagree, but there’s no real benefit to signing any major FAs this year. The roster is a mess and FA should only be used to fill out the roster. Take your lumps in 21 (and probably 22), get your high picks, then open it up.

If paying (or overpaying) a couple of bigger FAs is the difference between 3 wins or 5 wins, I don’t see the point.

If we're winning 3-5 games in the next 2 years before we 'open it up' we're in trouble. Plus its not like Staff is any better than Goff. Look at some of Staff's past year and how bad some of them were. If we won 5 last season we should be able to win 5 this year with no one added.

2009 we were dead last in defense. Almost as bad as this season, following year in 2010 we moved up to 19th. We drafted Suh. Get difference makers and you can improve rather quickly you just have to continue. No WR, or RB or TE in early rounds.

Last edited:
If we're winning 3-5 games in the next 2 years before we 'open it up' we're in trouble. Plus its not like Staff is any better than Goff. Look at some of Staff's past year and how bad some of them were. If we won 5 last season we should be able to win 5 this year with no one added.

2009 we were dead last in defense. Almost as bad as this season, following year in 2010 we moved up to 19th. We drafted Suh. Get difference makers and you can improve rather quickly you just have to continue. No WR, or RB or TE in early rounds.

I don't think there is any way around a bad team in 2021. After we cut the likes of Trufant/James/Williams/Shelton/Coleman/Jones, and whoever else I'm missing the dead money starts to add up very quickly. Combine that with Stafford's money and your talking almost 45mil in dead cap space. It is very tough to build a good team when you already suck and have that much dead cap space.

With the picks we have this year so far, and the potential treasure trove of picks next year with all the added cap space, 2022 could be looking good. If this staff can hit on some of these draft picks, and coach some guys up that are currently here in 2020, there is no reason we couldn't push for a wild card spot in 2022.

I don't think there is any way around a bad team in 2021. After we cut the likes of Trufant/James/Williams/Shelton/Coleman/Jones, and whoever else I'm missing the dead money starts to add up very quickly. Combine that with Stafford's money and your talking almost 45mil in dead cap space. It is very tough to build a good team when you already suck and have that much dead cap space.

With the picks we have this year so far, and the potential treasure trove of picks next year with all the added cap space, 2022 could be looking good. If this staff can hit on some of these draft picks, and coach some guys up that are currently here in 2020, there is no reason we couldn't push for a wild card spot in 2022.

There was a way...we just chose not to do it. Ive been saying the bit about the dead cap space for months when people just started saying we will cut everyone lol. Almost all of the overpriced vets on this team with a significant salary also carry a significant dead cap. The team is fucked. We could have focused on the draft to fill those holes but the GM chose to get future picks instead of current ones. We're left with no options for this year.

There was a way...we just chose not to do it. Ive been saying the bit about the dead cap space for months when people just started saying we will cut everyone lol. Almost all of the overpriced vets on this team with a significant salary also carry a significant dead cap. The team is fucked. We could have focused on the draft to fill those holes but the GM chose to get future picks instead of current ones. We're left with no options for this year.

You think we had a chance of competing THIS year? Even with Bridgewater and #8?

You think we had a chance of competing THIS year? Even with Bridgewater and #8?

we had a chance to establish a good base of young talent to build in moving forward. I wouldnt have taken bridgewater in a trade if it was up to me. Other teams were oferring their QBs cause thats what holmes wanted. I would have drafted one at 7 or 8. I would have drafted Hebert at 3 last year. Youre a smart guy booger...i know we mess around about trading down every year. but if the lions have 7 and 8 and take a qb at 7 and its the 3rd qb off the board. You honestly dont think theres several offers for 8? We had a very good chance to get value in this draft. Enough draft capital in early rounds to start the rebuild now. Absolutely not...would have it translated to playoff wins in 2021. But it gets you started in the right direction. Then rolling into 2022 you have a 2nd year QB with a year under his belt and that 60 mil in cap space everyone keeps referring to.

Im telling you...this Goff trade to Holmes was less about thw future picks and more about his love affair with Goff and him thinking we just got our franchise QB. I promise you lol..

Last edited:
we had a chance to establish a good base of young talent to build in moving forward. I wouldnt have taken bridgewater in a trade if it was up to me. Other teams were oferring their QBs cause thats what holmes wanted. I would have drafted one at 7 or 8. I would have drafted Hebert at 3 last year. Youre a smart guy booger...i know we mess around about trading down every year. but if the lions have 7 and 8 and take a qb at 7 and its the 3rd qb off the board. You honestly dont think theres several offers for 8? We had a very good chance to get value in this draft. Enough draft capital in early rounds to start the rebuild now. Absolutely not...would have it translated to playoff wins in 2021. But it gets you started in the right direction. Then rolling into 2022 you have a 2nd year QB with a year under his belt and that 60 mil in cap space everyone keeps referring to.

Im telling you...this Goff trade to Holmes was less about thw future picks and more about his love affair with Goff and him thinking we just got our franchise QB. I promise you lol..

He might, but as long as he doesn't rework Goff's deal this year I think Goff will play his way out of that thought process. I can't see Goff putting up stats that are even close to his 2020 numbers. We simply won't have the talent outside to do that.....unless we somehow go all out and keep KG, take a WR at #7 and then sign a guy like Samuel as well.

I guess time will tell, but it seems by the moves they HAVE made they are planning on tanking this year, hoping Goff proves himself so they don't HAVE to go QB and starting the journey to actually trying to compete in 2022.....and the two future 1sts we got will help that.

Also, if Stafford is as average as you all say he is, we might get lucky (injuries to Donald or Ramsey) and pick in the late teens with LA's picks.

Everyone says defense helps the QB I've heard that for years so draft D and Goff becomes better.

Everyone says defense helps the QB I've heard that for years so draft D and Goff becomes better.

More opportunities and shorter fields. Force some damn turnovers. Sick of all the 75 yard drives required

Pass rush, strip sacks and ball hawk DBs. And recover the fumbles we force. So many times the Lions wouldn't get a fumble they forced this year.

Those cuts now are smart though. Yes some dead cap but still clear 28-30 million in space after the dead money is accounted for. And no dead money in 2022 then for a later cut

It's people we want to cut anyways talent or injury wise. No dead in 2022 and still frees 30 million in cap space (even with dead this year)

The cap space is fine and will be great in 2022.

Back