Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 Off-Season

detroit1811

I know I've done a few of these, but looking ahead is all we got and I like getting everyones input. So I want to pose a question for some of the more less optimistic Lions fans here. Is there any chance at all of competing for a wild card or even the division in 2022.

I think there is. This defense is extremely young and very scrappy. With a few more pieces, and a year of experience they may be decent next year. How does everyone everyone think this roster would fare.

Re-sign

JRM 2 years 7mil, year 1 cap hit 3mil
Anzalone 2 years 5mil, year one cap hit 2mil
Walker 4 years, 40mil, year 1 cap hit 5mil
Raymond 3 years, 10mil, year 1 cap hit 2.5mil
Charles Harris 2 years 10mil, year 1 cap hit 4mil
Hand 1 year 2.5mil

Release Trey Flowers and Vatai, and trade Jared Goff (Denver and Pittsburgh would be good fits). I realize trading Goff may be a pipe dream at this point, but one can hope.

Sign

Marcus Williams 5 years, 65mil, year one cap hit 7mil
Mike Williams 4 years, 60mil, year one cap hit 10.5mil
Mo Alie Cox 2 years, 7mil, year one cap hit 2.75mil
Marcus Mariota 1 year, 4mil
Josey Jewell 1 year, 2.5mil
Casey Hayward 2 years, 12mil, year one cap hit 4mil

Draft Thibodeaux, Treylon Burks, Desmond Ridder (Starting to like him more as a late 1st/early 2nd prospect), best ILB available, best OG available, then grab some depth at safety, OT, and RB.

Offense

QB Mariota, Ridder, Blough
RB Swift, Williams, Jefferson, Rookie
FB Cabina
WR Mike Williams, Burks, Cephus, Raymond, St Brown
TE Hockenson, Alie Cox, Brock Wright
LT Decker, rookie
LG Jackson, Stenberg
C Ragnow
RG Rookie/Evan Brown
RT Sewell, Nelson

Defense

DE Brockers, Onwuzurike, Hand
NT McNeil, Penisini
Edge Thibodeaux, R. Okwara, J. Okwara, Harris, Bryant
ILBer Jewell, Anzalone, Barnes, JRM, rookie
CB Okudah, Casey Hayward, Amani, Parker, Melifonwu, Jacobs
S Marcus Williams, Tracy Walker, Bobby Price, rookie

Special Teams

K Seibert
P Fox
LS Daly

Obviously Mariota (Or insert Fitzpatrick/Tyrod/Bridgewater/Newton) would stand out as the biggest question mark. With a top shelf Oline and running game though I think someone like Mariota may fit. There would be weapons on offense in Swift, Hockenson, Williams and Burks with plenty of role players. Defense would be young but filled with a lot of talent. That is a deep group of edge rushers and Walker and Williams might be the best safety combo we ever had. Both the top FAs fill a major need and have a strong connection to this staff. I think we could really use a solid veteran CB to help bring along all the young guys and stabilize the group.

I tend to err on the optimistic side of things with the Lions, so wanted to get some input on the guys here who don't. I tried to be pretty realistic with the moves and contracts. I do realize Goff may not be tradeable at this point, but he is still young and has a respectable resume. I'm hoping Lynn's ties to Mike Williams and Campbell/Glenn's ties to Marcus Williams may be able to lure them here. After all these signings and signing the rookies we would be sitting on 5-8mil in cap space entering next season.

So all in all if the offseason went like this can the Lions compete in the Aaron Rodgers less (hopefully) NFC North? The Packers are 30mil over the 2022 cap and will still be 10mil over if they trade Rodger. Plus they have DeVante Adams to re-sign. The Vikings are almost 10mil over at this point. The Bears do have the cap room, but have holes all over the place just like us, plus they don't have a 1st round pick. If Fields takes a giant step forward they could be decent, but thats a big if.

I still do not get drafting a QB next year when all of the ones coming out will not be quality starters in the NFL. Not as rookies, not ever. The talent just is not there. The best one can hope for is that the QB is a great game manager. 2023 will have more talented QBs.

So hope that the Lions get younger for 2022, but still are in bottom 5, and then grab a more talented QB in 2023.

Going QB in 2022 means the Lions make a totally Lionsesque move and get the wrong QB but try to force him into starting, sticking with the talentless pretender for 5 years, wasting the other talents in the team as a result. They will never win the Division or a playoff game.

Goff is un-tradeable at this point. The teams that were mentioned in the original post would be better off with Mariota/Fitzpatrick/Tyrod/Bridgewater/Newton

I still do not get drafting a QB next year when all of the ones coming out will not be quality starters in the NFL. Not as rookies, not ever. The talent just is not there. The best one can hope for is that the QB is a great game manager. 2023 will have more talented QBs.

So hope that the Lions get younger for 2022, but still are in bottom 5, and then grab a more talented QB in 2023.

Going QB in 2022 means the Lions make a totally Lionsesque move and get the wrong QB but try to force him into starting, sticking with the talentless pretender for 5 years, wasting the other talents in the team as a result. They will never win the Division or a playoff game.

I personally think its way too early to rule that out and you cannot count on drafting one in 2023. QB's rise and fall every year and there is no guarantee they will be better in 2023. Not saying we have to draft one this year, but I think there are a few guys who may be a little bit of a project, but have some real NFL talent. Obviously that is too risky for our top pick, but maybe not for our other 1st or 2nd.

Goff is un-tradeable at this point. The teams that were mentioned in the original post would be better off with Mariota/Fitzpatrick/Tyrod/Bridgewater/Newton

Like I said above, that may be wishful thinking. Regardless I am ready to move on and would be willing to cut him if we found no takers. I want to get the contract off the books ASAP and think his production can be replicated with the QB's I mentioned. My only hope is another team still sees a young QB who has been to multiple pro bowls and also took a team to the Superbowl. Goff's games against the Vikings and Chiefs back in 2018 I believe it was, were among the best games you wil ever see a QB play.

Maybe a team thinks with the right surroundings he could have a Ryan Tannehill like turnaround. One can hope right.

Not a big fan of Jewell and Anzalone. And that safety combo is two FS I think as Walker struggled in 2020 when they moved him away from FS. Would need Barnes to step up of course.

CB big rely on Okudah coming off the achilles. Heyward is fine at that price. Levi and McNeil need to take that leap of course too. Brockers hasn't done anything and that is disappointing and only getting older but probably keep him with that contract they had and leadership.

I like the offensive changes with Williams and Burks and new cheaper mid-round RG or Brown. Mariota would be a good add if cheap enough (all in on the failed 2016 QBs)

That said we play AFC East, NFC East (though Philly just destroyed us), and Bears/Vikings looking weaker. 4th place Carolina or Atlanta and probably San Fran or Seattle. And I think AFC South 4th so that would be Jags. With 7 seeds, got a chance with that roster with pretty good health (not 2021 nightmare).

Last edited:
Okudah needs to move to Safety at this point. I would rather Tibs with 1st pick and 2 CBs with the next 2 (unless by some miracle Hutch falls to late R1 pick then having him and Tibs would be precerable) and move Okudah to S. R3 would be LB. If they go QB n Day 3, that is fine, need someone better than Blough which should not be THAT difficult even with the crap QBs available in 2022, but at least they would not be burning a potential starter by going with a career backup QB at best just because Goff sucks. Replacing a bad QB with another bad QB just makes zero sense.

This is the Walter Football analysis.
https://walterfootball.com/draft2022QB.php

Please show me the QB who is not going to suck. I realize every QB (well, maybe not TL) is going to have some knock against them, but in terms of NFL caliber arms, the only one seems to be the Liberty QB who is shorter than desired and played against shit competition.

Comments on others include QBs accurate with their short to intermediate throws. Great. In the NFL that will result in tighter coverages by CBs and Safeties playing closer to line with benefit of providing more run support.

Compare that to the QBs coming out in 2023. You have CJ Stroud among others who are likely going to be available then. Heck, I would even prefer waiting for Cade, maybe by then he improves his deep throws but at a minimum he has demonstrated the ability to manage games extremely well and not turn the ball over with a frequency that is concerning. The MSU INT was a late game desperation situation where INTs typically increase in frequency. He at least plays smart, and the fact he is still starting over JJ is impressive. We all remember Brady splitting time with Henson. Cade is definitely more Brady and JJ more Henson. Even if Cade has a tenth of Brady's success in the NFL with the Lions we would all be happy.

Not a big fan of Jewell and Anzalone. And that safety combo is two FS I think as Walker struggled in 2020 when they moved him away from FS. Would need Barnes to step up of course.

CB big rely on Okudah coming off the achilles. Heyward is fine at that price. Levi and McNeil need to take that leap of course too. Brockers hasn't done anything and that is disappointing and only getting older but probably keep him with that contract they had and leadership.

I like the offensive changes with Williams and Burks and new cheaper mid-round RG or Brown. Mariota would be a good add if cheap enough (all in on the failed 2016 QBs)

That said we play AFC East, NFC East (though Philly just destroyed us), and Bears/Vikings looking weaker. 4th place Carolina or Atlanta and probably San Fran or Seattle. And I think AFC South 4th so that would be Jags. With 7 seeds, got a chance with that roster with pretty good health (not 2021 nightmare).

Jewell was playing really well before his injury this year and was a solid player last year. He is more of a safe guard in case Barnes doesn't step up. I think Anzalone has been hit or miss this year, but I think with a better defense around him he would be serviceable as well. I think a stud ILB'er is probably one of those needs that may have to wait until 2023.

I think you can't write off Okudah yet. If he doesn't work out you have Amani and Jacobs who both have gitten a ton of experience this year and Melifonwu who we really don't know what we have yet. I personally think a vet like Hayward can do a lot of good for these young guys.

If we were to have a shot at the playoffs in 2022 we would definitely need these young guys to take another step, most notably McNeil and Onwuzurike.

With this division looking like it may be one of the weakest in the NFL and a much easier schedule on paper I think there is a shot.

Okudah needs to move to Safety at this point. I would rather Tibs with 1st pick and 2 CBs with the next 2 (unless by some miracle Hutch falls to late R1 pick then having him and Tibs would be precerable) and move Okudah to S. R3 would be LB. If they go QB n Day 3, that is fine, need someone better than Blough which should not be THAT difficult even with the crap QBs available in 2022, but at least they would not be burning a potential starter by going with a career backup QB at best just because Goff sucks. Replacing a bad QB with another bad QB just makes zero sense.

I am not quite ready to give up on Okudah at CB. He was one of he highest rated CB's of the past 10 years and he has a very strong work ethic. Plus he has two very good secondary coaches working with him.

This is the Walter Football analysis.
https://walterfootball.com/draft2022QB.php

Please show me the QB who is not going to suck. I realize every QB (well, maybe not TL) is going to have some knock against them, but in terms of NFL caliber arms, the only one seems to be the Liberty QB who is shorter than desired and played against shit competition.

Comments on others include QBs accurate with their short to intermediate throws. Great. In the NFL that will result in tighter coverages by CBs and Safeties playing closer to line with benefit of providing more run support.

Compare that to the QBs coming out in 2023. You have CJ Stroud among others who are likely going to be available then. Heck, I would even prefer waiting for Cade, maybe by then he improves his deep throws but at a minimum he has demonstrated the ability to manage games extremely well and not turn the ball over with a frequency that is concerning. The MSU INT was a late game desperation situation where INTs typically increase in frequency. He at least plays smart, and the fact he is still starting over JJ is impressive. We all remember Brady splitting time with Henson. Cade is definitely more Brady and JJ more Henson. Even if Cade has a tenth of Brady's success in the NFL with the Lions we would all be happy.

Sam Howell. Walter football and others will be wrong about him. I expect him to blow up come combine time. Compare his numbers to Trevor Lawrence in college. Same conference much worse team. However his skill positions were pretty good last season. This yeah he is practically on a Detroit lions team. He has one very good weapon. His defense is terrible, his offensive line is terrible. Yet he has been putting his team on his back like super man week in and week out. Even running the ball like crazy all of a sudden. Second behind only Malik Willis in qb rushing yards lol.

Last edited:
Jewell was playing really well before his injury this year and was a solid player last year. He is more of a safe guard in case Barnes doesn't step up. I think Anzalone has been hit or miss this year, but I think with a better defense around him he would be serviceable as well. I think a stud ILB'er is probably one of those needs that may have to wait until 2023.

I think you can't write off Okudah yet. If he doesn't work out you have Amani and Jacobs who both have gitten a ton of experience this year and Melifonwu who we really don't know what we have yet. I personally think a vet like Hayward can do a lot of good for these young guys.

If we were to have a shot at the playoffs in 2022 we would definitely need these young guys to take another step, most notably McNeil and Onwuzurike.

With this division looking like it may be one of the weakest in the NFL and a much easier schedule on paper I think there is a shot.

Indiana LB Micah McFadden is a nice mid round target at LB. Dude is all over the field.

I am not quite ready to give up on Okudah at CB. He was one of he highest rated CB's of the past 10 years and he has a very strong work ethic. Plus he has two very good secondary coaches working with him.

My opinion is less about his talent at CB and more about the extreme difficulty for a CB to recover 100% or close enough to that) from an Achilles injury like his. Additionally, is struggles have been sufficient enough that I believe he would play better being able to see plays in front of him at the NFL level.

Many really good CBs have had really good careers at Safety. His tackling abilities bode well for the transition to Safety as well.

Yes, CBs are drafted higher for a reason, but injuries and sub-par performance just point to him moving to Safety and hopefully salvaging his career. His size is a little smaller than ideal, but still fits the position's range. Adding 5-10 lbs would help and that is generally not difficult for NFL players.

My opinion is less about his talent at CB and more about the extreme difficulty for a CB to recover 100% or close enough to that) from an Achilles injury like his. Additionally, is struggles have been sufficient enough that I believe he would play better being able to see plays in front of him at the NFL level.

Many really good CBs have had really good careers at Safety. His tackling abilities bode well for the transition to Safety as well.

Yes, CBs are drafted higher for a reason, but injuries and sub-par performance just point to him moving to Safety and hopefully salvaging his career. His size is a little smaller than ideal, but still fits the position's range. Adding 5-10 lbs would help and that is generally not difficult for NFL players.

If Okudah does indeed move to safety and plays well I won?t have any issue. I personally think with his age and work ethic that there is a better then 50/50 shot he comes back with to lingering issues. My main concern is he has yet to put much good tape on film. I?m hoping Glenn and Pleasant can get the best out of him though, and by all offseason accounts he was looking really good.

Get the Edge from Oregon. I also wouldn't resign any of those 6.

Would rather have Aidan Hutchinson if that?s the case. Thibodeaux is only being hyped there due to his play from 2 years ago. He?s a one trick pony speed rusher without that many sacks the last two seasons. He doesn?t look like he plays with much power at all.

Curious as to why? I can see Hand for sure. I can see Anzalone too. If the price is right why not Kalif Raymond? Same with JRM? JRM is an elite special teamer and has filled in decent enough at LB'er, and would make very good depth. Charles Harris has been a solid pass rusher as well and fits in nicely as your #3/#4 edge. Then you have Walker who may be the best player on the team right now.

Detroit1811: I don?t know whether you have too much time on your hands or you are keenly focused on the Lions, but, either way, your interest, knowledge, and thoroughness is way beyond what I possess and I am impressed, to say the least. Perhaps there was a time (40 years ago) when I was this ensconced in Lions? football, but 57 aggregate years of futility has numbed me to the point of indifference.

Even Thibodeaux isn't a slam dunk. Sooo hate having the top pick in a down year

We better get an ELITE player at 1 somehow

Back