Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 Off-Season

Detroit1811: I don?t know whether you have too much time on your hands or you are keenly focused on the Lions, but, either way, your interest, knowledge, and thoroughness is way beyond what I possess and I am impressed, to say the least. Perhaps there was a time (40 years ago) when I was this ensconced in Lions? football, but 57 aggregate years of futility has numbed me to the point of indifference.

Thank you. You were talking about me weren't you, lol. Indifference is a perfect word that describes me as well.

If there isn't a QB you like, trade down.

The number one pick hasn?t been traded all that much, so not sure what the return will look like. Tried to dig up some history on this?

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/four-times-the-1-pick-was-traded-14802842

2016 (Goff lol) - 1, 113, 177 for 15, 43, 45, 76 + 2017 1st and 3rd
2001 (Vick) - 1 for 5, 67 + 2002 2nd
1997 (Pace) - 1 for 6, 67, 102, 207
1995 (Carter) - 1 for 5, 36
1990 (George) 1 + 4th for players + a 5th and 1991 1st

There are some nice hauls in there that I would be all for, but the way the draft board is looking now I?m struggling to see why any team would trade up to #1.

I?m not sure the Lions can just trade that pick if there?s no interest or good offers, don?t want to see them trade it for just anything.

I think the best case scenario involves QB-needy teams at 2 & 3 and some QBs rising up the board. I don?t see much urgency for a team to trade into #1 if it?s Lions, Jets, Jags at the top.

Oddly enough, I think the Lions have a better shot at trading out if they don?t pick 1st.

Rams gave up so much for Goff. And then two more 1sts and a 3rd and some cap space to get rid of him.

Hopefully there is some idiot who falls in love with a QB, like the Rams did for Goff. That's what we need.

Rams gave up so much for Goff. And then two more 1sts and a 3rd and some cap space to get rid of him.

Hopefully there is some idiot who falls in love with a QB, like the Rams did for Goff. That's what we need.

watch...it will be the idiot that is running the Lions :lmao:

Detroit1811: I don?t know whether you have too much time on your hands or you are keenly focused on the Lions, but, either way, your interest, knowledge, and thoroughness is way beyond what I possess and I am impressed, to say the least. Perhaps there was a time (40 years ago) when I was this ensconced in Lions? football, but 57 aggregate years of futility has numbed me to the point of indifference.

Honestly just bored at work because I am in between projects and I enjoy doing these. As a lions fan all we have is looking forward to the future because at least we can try to fool ourselves that there are better days ahead

I will take Justin Tucker game winning kick losses over the eagles and bengals games. At least that is entertaining

I've been tossing something around in my head and figured I should bounce it off the bigger brains here.

In order to help a perennial bottom feeder like Detroit (and Cleveland and others), it seems to me teams could use a little additional help than they already are being provided.

Maybe there could be / should be additional Comp picks for bad teams. For instance, if a team has not made the playoffs in last 3 years, they get an additional R5 Comp. 5 years, an extra R3.

If they have not made it to a Super Bowl in 50 fucking years, they get a R1 Comp which actually is awarded prior to the R1 picks that the 2 Super Bowl teams pick. Yes... R1... and again, that is only if the team has not competed in a SB for 50 years.

No, I'm not saying it would guarantee the breaking of bad performers, but it would help them get a slight edge to improve.

Another method to simultaneously would employ would be to increase the available Cap Space. Teams that miss the playoffs have an increase of their Cap Floor and ceiling by 1 million. These continue to increase every year until they make the playoffs, and to prevent a crash afterwards, the contracts signed using the higher ceiling do not have their excess counted against the cap for up to 5 years per contract with the amounts detailed in the contracts, such that a team that pays a player $25M with $1M / year being in the expanded Cap, that $1M above the Cap is not counted against their future Cap when the team finally makes the playoffs and has their Cap dropped to the base level set for Playoff teams.

These numbers are all ballpark and the idea is very rough, but I feel they provide ways for increased competitiveness for teams like Detroit. Eventually a team will acquire enough talent to compete at the highest levels, after which they are returned to the base levels while other teams get the advantages.

Yes, things will potentially cycle with ups and downs, but at least the fans of the worst teams have the knowledge that better times lie ahead. The current system is not enough. We constantly see teams picking 20+ are continually picking at those same levels. When was the last time the Steelers or Pats had a top 10 pick? Yet they are competitive every year. So the current setup does not actually do enough to provide parity.

Feel like their should be like some sort of expansion type draft or exchange

We sucked 5 years, we get whatever QB we want now and you get Goff. But at like 3-4 positions

We get Maholmes, Donald, Hopkins and TJ Watt for Goff, Flowers, Tyrell Williams and Romeo Okwara

Last edited:
I've been tossing something around in my head and figured I should bounce it off the bigger brains here.

In order to help a perennial bottom feeder like Detroit (and Cleveland and others), it seems to me teams could use a little additional help than they already are being provided.

Maybe there could be / should be additional Comp picks for bad teams. For instance, if a team has not made the playoffs in last 3 years, they get an additional R5 Comp. 5 years, an extra R3.

If they have not made it to a Super Bowl in 50 fucking years, they get a R1 Comp which actually is awarded prior to the R1 picks that the 2 Super Bowl teams pick. Yes... R1... and again, that is only if the team has not competed in a SB for 50 years.

No, I'm not saying it would guarantee the breaking of bad performers, but it would help them get a slight edge to improve.

Another method to simultaneously would employ would be to increase the available Cap Space. Teams that miss the playoffs have an increase of their Cap Floor and ceiling by 1 million. These continue to increase every year until they make the playoffs, and to prevent a crash afterwards, the contracts signed using the higher ceiling do not have their excess counted against the cap for up to 5 years per contract with the amounts detailed in the contracts, such that a team that pays a player $25M with $1M / year being in the expanded Cap, that $1M above the Cap is not counted against their future Cap when the team finally makes the playoffs and has their Cap dropped to the base level set for Playoff teams.

These numbers are all ballpark and the idea is very rough, but I feel they provide ways for increased competitiveness for teams like Detroit. Eventually a team will acquire enough talent to compete at the highest levels, after which they are returned to the base levels while other teams get the advantages.

Yes, things will potentially cycle with ups and downs, but at least the fans of the worst teams have the knowledge that better times lie ahead. The current system is not enough. We constantly see teams picking 20+ are continually picking at those same levels. When was the last time the Steelers or Pats had a top 10 pick? Yet they are competitive every year. So the current setup does not actually do enough to provide parity.

this is a terrible idea. The draft order is already there to "help" the shitty teams.

this is a terrible idea. The draft order is already there to "help" the shitty teams.

Draft is a crap shoot, talent level of a draft depends on year to year too (so you can get screwed having pick 1 in a down year, see Lions for 2022 draft).

Mandatory rotation of QBs and coaches across the league would be interesting.

Or redraft of entire squad with keepers like in fantasy football. Now that would be interesting. Maybe not annually but like every 3 years a complete redraft.

Last edited:
Feel like their should be like some sort of expansion type draft or exchange

We sucked 5 years, we get whatever QB we want now and you get Goff. But at like 3-4 positions

We get Maholmes, Donald, Hopkins and TJ Watt for Goff, Flowers, Tyrell Williams and Romeo Okwara

Lions could have drafted 3 of those

2013 Lions took Ansah at 5, Hopkins went 27
2014 Lions took Ebron @10, Donald went 13
2017 Lions took Jarrad Davis at 21, Watt went 30

Lions draft history is terrible.

Draft is a crap shoot, talent level of a draft depends on year to year too (so you can get screwed having pick 1 in a down year, see Lions for 2022 draft).

Or redraft of entire squad with keepers like in fantasy football. Now that would be interesting. Maybe not annually but like every 3 years a complete redraft.

Draft is not a crap shoot. It?s about homework and player development. Something this team has always lacked.

what would be really interesting...relegation like in Soccer. If you suck for so many years you get sent down to a lower league The NFL would consist of 20 teams and create a league of 20 other teams which would consist of the 12 worst from the NFL and add 8 more cities.

Each year, the bottom 4 in the NFL get kicked down to the minor leagues and the top 4 in the minor league get to move up. My guess is the Lions would be a permanent fixture of the minor league.

Last edited:
Agree. Was just thinking how lucky there is no relegation for nfl lol

Back