Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

Yeah they can and I?d be willing to bet they get the exact same results as they did this year. Play some early games and finish the season on the couch wrapped in bubble wrap.

you mean injured because he is a soft running QB that seems to always get injured.

I would trade him

And 90% of the teams would take him.

let's assume Balt wants 2 firsts and he gets $230M guaranteed.

here is the list of teams that wouldn't trade for him

KC
LAC
CIN
DET
BUFF
Jax
Phil
GB ?
Dal
Cle
SF
AZ
CHI
LAR?

so...maybe 60% of the teams would trade for him?

Heard on radio show that Swift played with a high ankle sprain and separated shoulder all season.

Heard on radio show that Swift played with a high ankle sprain and separated shoulder all season.

I don't doubt it......he was clearly a different player after week 2.

As always with Swift.....top 5 talent.....soft as toilet paper. He's a slightly tougher Jahvid Best.

What about the qb from Georgia ? Get him and let him learn under Goff for 2025 and later ?

Last edited:
What about the qb from Georgia ? Get him and let him learn under Goff for 2025 and later ?

It sounds like he is a career backup...at best. Only 5'11" and not much of an arm. Projected to be a day 3 pick or not drafted at all.

I took my boys to the Jags game a few weeks ago. It is noticeable, even to a novice fan or my 11 year old son, that Swift is so much more explosive than Williams or Jackson. His cuts are sharper, his acceleration is a lot better......he's smooooooth. A guy like him can take an offense from good to great all by himself.

Guy just can't stay healthy.

Looking at our cap space, free agents and likely cuts, we are around $44-45 million in cap space. Likely cuts being Brockers, Vaitai, Romeo and Harris.

If we resigned AA, Jamal and Brown, that would take about $15-20 million. Rookie pool takes $14 mill. We are looking at around $11-16 million in space. That would limit the amount of pricey FAs we could sign. I don't see us going after a big time FA. More like AA and Elliott. This doesn't count other guys like Buggs, Elliott and Cominsky that will want a small raise to stay.

I'm okay with all of this and know we could restructure some contracts for more space but nothing to get anyone big. I trust Holmes to improve the team and MCDC to get them to play.

If we put most of our FA money into one position, it should be CB. I would prefer to rely on the draft and use the space for depth all over the roster. Injuries will happen and we don't have great depth yet.

AA is cheap.. you can get all 3 from Jamaal, AA and Brown for 10 million in cap space based on how you can structure the contracts. Brown still fairly cheap. He was fine but still a backup basically. We need Cominsky back too. Will Harris is cheap to be slot and maybe beat out by rookie but great depth since he can play slot and outside and safety

Elliot, Chark and Buggs at the right price too. Badgley vet min

Holmes basically said it will be mostly resigns again with one or two other bigger names that fit

Last edited:
Looking at our cap space, free agents and likely cuts, we are around $44-45 million in cap space. Likely cuts being Brockers, Vaitai, Romeo and Harris.

If we resigned AA, Jamal and Brown, that would take about $15-20 million. Rookie pool takes $14 mill. We are looking at around $11-16 million in space. That would limit the amount of pricey FAs we could sign. I don't see us going after a big time FA. More like AA and Elliott. This doesn't count other guys like Buggs, Elliott and Cominsky that will want a small raise to stay.

I'm okay with all of this and know we could restructure some contracts for more space but nothing to get anyone big. I trust Holmes to improve the team and MCDC to get them to play.

If we put most of our FA money into one position, it should be CB. I would prefer to rely on the draft and use the space for depth all over the roster. Injuries will happen and we don't have great depth yet.

Lets say we do go aver AA, JW and EB......the contracts wouldn't be structured to cost NEARLY that much in cap space......probably around $5M - $7M at most. None of those players are going to be expensive, cap hit wise. Brown is just a guy......he's replaceable by a late round rookie or cheap FA.

We also should bring back Kominsky and Buggs.

Last edited:
It really feels like we need to bring in a difference maker from FA on the defensive side of the ball. I'd be happy with a space eating, double team commanding DT or a good LB (like AA but more talented) or even a CB. I like building through the draft and I don't want them to go nuts in FA but one sure fire starter on defense would make me very happy. It would be expensive but more than worth it IMO.

It really feels like we need to bring in a difference maker from FA on the defensive side of the ball. I'd be happy with a space eating, double team commanding DT or a good LB (like AA but more talented) or even a CB. I like building through the draft and I don't want them to go nuts in FA but one sure fire starter on defense would make me very happy. It would be expensive but more than worth it IMO.

This. Bring in at least one plug and play starter for the defense. Any position, really. We need them all. CB or LB preferably.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023...nt-list-offseason-restricted-exclusive-rights

Full list of Lions FAs

UFA
QB Nate Sudfeld
RB Jamaal Williams
RB Justin Jackson
WR DJ Chark
OT Dan Skipper
G/C Evan Brown
DT Isaiah Buggs
EDGE John Cominsky
EDGE Austin Bryant
LB Alex Anzalone
LB Chris Board
LB Josh Woods
CB Will Harris
CB Mike Hughes
CB Amani Oruwariye
S DeShon Elliott
S C.J. Moore
K Michael Badgley

RFA
OT Matt Nelson
C Ross Pierschbacher
DB Bobby Price

ERFA
RB Craig Reynolds
TE Brock Wright
TE Shane Zylstra
G Tommy Kraemer
DT Benito Jones
LB Anthony Pittman
LS Scott Daly

UFA
QB Nate Sudfeld - God no

RB Jamaal Williams - YES! Heart and soul of the team in a lot of ways. Slightly above average play on the field.

RB Justin Jackson - Nah. I'd rather add a rookie who has more explosion to his game.

WR DJ Chark - Would like it, but he's likely to want a bigger pay day than we're willing to give

OT Dan Skipper - 50/50 Play was ok for a back up

G/C Evan Brown - See Skipper, Dan

DT Isaiah Buggs - YES!! 2nd half of the season Buggs was pretty damn good.

EDGE John Cominsky - YES. Valuable back up that can play all 4 line positions and do it pretty well. 400 fewer snaps than Hutch....only 10 fewer QB pressures.

EDGE Austin Bryant - NO

LB Alex Anzalone - Yes, but only as a 3rd LB. If the Lions bring him back to start that isn't good.

LB Chris Board -YES. Athletic 4th LB that is a very good special teams player

LB Josh Woods - NO

CB Will Harris - Man. Tough one. He played better as the year went along. YES, unless we add a significant upgrade in FA or the draft.

CB Mike Hughes - YES. Emphatic yes. Solid play all season.

CB Amani Oruwariye - NO. Emphatic NO. Terrible play all season

S DeShon Elliott - Yes at the right price. If he's looking for a long term deal, let him walk.

S C.J. Moore - Yes. Special teams demon and can contribute on D if needed.

K Michael Badgley - No. Draft Moody

RFA
OT Matt Nelson - No

C Ross Pierschbacher - No

DB Bobby Price - No

ERFA
RB Craig Reynolds - No

TE Brock Wright - YES

TE Shane Zylstra - Hopefully we're also looking at upgrading the position, which makes him a 4th TE.....so Yes, but to the PS.

G Tommy Kraemer - No

DT Benito Jones - No

LB Anthony Pittman - No

LS Scott Daly - Yes.

Last edited:
Tre Flowers for 11 per from cincy at cb

Edmunds or devin bush for big mony at ilb

Greg Gaines under the radar dt from the rams

Tre Flowers for 11 per from cincy at cb

Edmunds or devin bush for big mony at ilb

Greg Gaines under the radar dt from the rams

Kominsky and Gaines are very similar. Gains a bit more athletic....Kominsky probably a bit stronger. I love that Kominsky is ASKING to return. I want those guys on my team if I'm Holmes/Campbell.

Nothing wrong with Gaines, though.

I'd take Edmunds or Bush in a heartbeat. Re-sign Thor and now you have more talent AND depth.

I'd rather sign Jesse Bates at S and draft CB's.

Last edited:
Rookie cbs get torched though..2023 we need a vet to make some noise

Back