Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

Lane Johnson and AJ Brown deserved it too ahead of them

Maybe stiffer competition than I thought. Not that the Pro Bowl matters, I just felt both had fantastic seasons.

St Brown did have a really good year.

11th in yards
7th in receptions
14th in yards per game
tied for 24th in TDs
73rd in yards per catch

St Brown did have a really good year.

11th in yards
7th in receptions
14th in yards per game
tied for 24th in TDs
73rd in yards per catch

2nd highest PFF grade among WRs too, only behind Hill.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023...3-salary-cap-number-225-million-detroit-lions

Salary cap being bumped from 208.2 to 224.8 in 2023. Gives the Lions about $13.8 million in cap space (13th in NFL), but that number is far from settled yet (at least they aren?t in the red).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Brockers will almost certainly be cut.....saving $10M ($3.975 dead cap for 1 year).
I can see a Decker restructure ....reducing his $19.95M number in half (maybe).
Okwara cut, saving $11M
Vaitai cut, saving $9.5M

All that would save about $40M and have about $8M hit the dead cap number (which is extremely low for Detroit) for one year.

Losing those three players doesn't even affect the team at all. Lions are actually very cap healthy for a couple years.....when decisions on a lot of these 1st round picks will have to be made.

40 to 50 million in space after the cuts. 30 million factoring in the draft. Lots of money but need to be smart with contracts always. One big fa, some mid tier and some resigns

New franchise tag

QB: $32,416,000
RB: $10,091,000
WR: $19,743,000
TE: $11,345,000
OL: $18,244,000
DE: $19,727,000
DT: $18,937,000
LB: $20,926,000
CB: $18,140,000
S: $14,460,000
K/P: $5,393,000

New franchise tag

QB: $32,416,000
RB: $10,091,000
WR: $19,743,000
TE: $11,345,000
OL: $18,244,000
DE: $19,727,000
DT: $18,937,000
LB: $20,926,000
CB: $18,140,000
S: $14,460,000
K/P: $5,393,000

Wow.

That?s a whole lot of money.

I guess it?s because a whole lot of people actually give a fuck.

Wow.

That?s a whole lot of money.

I guess it?s because a whole lot of people actually give a fuck.

I think the biggest surprise on that list is that RB is the single cheapest position in football.

I wonder what it looked like in 1995.....when the biggest contracts went to RB.

Either way.....the QB number is insane. It's too high. There has to be a correction at some point.

I think the biggest surprise on that list is that RB is the single cheapest position in football.

I wonder what it looked like in 1995.....when the biggest contracts went to RB.

Either way.....the QB number is insane. It's too high. There has to be a correction at some point.

The QB is the single most important position on the team...it should be the highest. I am a little surprised that they don't break down the OL position like they do for DT & DE. I'm not surprised by the RB being so low...teams don't pay RBs anymore.

The QB is the single most important position on the team...it should be the highest. I am a little surprised that they don't break down the OL position like they do for DT & DE. I'm not surprised by the RB being so low...teams don't pay RBs anymore.

I have to wonder if RB talent in general might dry up in the next decade or two.

I can't imagine a kid who's serious about making it to the NFL opting to play the RB position knowing they probably won't be a high draft pick, will likely be part of a committee, and probably won't see a 2nd contract (if they do, it won't be worth much relative to other positions). If I were a young football player, I'd be trying to learn just about any other position.

I wouldn't be surprised if teams start to prefer hybrid-type players who are capable of playing RB as opposed to a more traditional/pure RB (I think we're already seeing it to a certain degree, but more on a larger scale in the coming years).

It's a percentage of revenue. I think the NFL is the only sport that does it right.

Cap goes up ticket prices go up, food prices go up, merchandise prices go up, parking prices go up. Right or wrong doesn't matter to my wallet.

Cap goes up ticket prices go up, food prices go up, merchandise prices go up, parking prices go up. Right or wrong doesn't matter to my wallet.

those things have very little impact on team revenue.

Ticket sale revenue only makes up 1.25% of total revenue for teams.

All about the new tv deals which is why cap is increasing. That is where the money comes from

All about the new tv deals which is why cap is increasing. That is where the money comes from

Fuckin NFL. Price the middle class out of going to more than MAYBE a game a year by making tickets to most games ridiculous. Still sell out.

Those families stay at home and watch their favorite teams on TV. Get bigger TV contracts.

It's like they know what they're doing!!!

Goff gets in pro bowl ala Matty Stafford.. At least he had less fat to go.

Back