Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

Last edited:
Because Dan has the final say of who?s on the roster. C?mon LKP

Odds are we don?t go after Lamar but anyone who watches football outside of Lions fans would tell you Lamar is a HUGE upgrade over Goff. HUGE!

If this roster upgraded from Goff to Lamar, we wouldn?t be talking about NFC North, we?d be talking about Super Bowl game or bust.

Campbell has a huge say and works with Holmes big time. This isn't old Lions where GM would just call random shots.

And I think Lamar is a downgrade from how Goff played last year. And more expensive and unnecessary extra draft capital to use. And he wants a fully guaranteed contract so even more risk. No thanks

Good player but no thanks

Hopkins and Simmons. Now that I could get on board with both of those trades.

Odds are we don?t go after Lamar but anyone who watches football outside of Lions fans would tell you Lamar is a HUGE upgrade over Goff. HUGE!

If this roster upgraded from Goff to Lamar, we wouldn?t be talking about NFC North, we?d be talking about Super Bowl game or bust.

After Lamar's season ends in early December, supposed Super Bowl talk would be over. He's already prove he will not play through injury, skipping the 2022 playoffs.

Injury risk is too great. No thanks.

One player doesn't make a SB team. I still don't see all the buzz around Holmes and Campbell like the rest of you. We'll see I guess.

One player doesn't make a SB team. I still don't see all the buzz around Holmes and Campbell like the rest of you. We'll see I guess.

Add extra draft picks
Nailed most of his draft picks
Smart FA signings that are productive
Current FA adds (4 of them) are good players from their teams

Re-signs and Round 2 the only knock due to injuries. Harris, Romeo and Walker have been productive for us and at the time worth the re-sign. Anzalone TBD with that deal

Smart one year deals to see who produces and motivates them to play hard in a contract year

Good with the cap (Mike Disner)

Keeps his option wide open for the draft really well.

Well respected by the players

What is not to like with Holmes

Campbell is loved by the team, well respected, gets the team to play hard, has great coordinators with innovative minds, top 5 offense, and very strong finish once they finally got healthy at 8-2. Very aggressive mind set for going for it properly. The results were starting to show with him too.

They aren't going to willing to pay him anywhere near what he's asking. it's not going to happen.

What Lamer doesn't understand is that just because the Browns were dumb enough to mortgage the farm for a QB doesn't mean another team is dumb enough to do the same.

They aren't going to willing to pay him anywhere near what he's asking. it's not going to happen.

Think he will get paid. He will get 45 to 46 per. But it won't all be guaranteed like he wants

Daniel Jones just got 40 per and Carr 37.5. Lamar will get 45 to 46 per but the Ravens wants some outs, not fully guaranteed

Think he will get paid. He will get 45 to 46 per. But it won't all be guaranteed like he wants

Daniel Jones just got 40 per and Carr 37.5. Lamar will get 45 to 46 per but the Ravens wants some outs, not fully guaranteed

hard pass for me.

Scared of having talent at the position or just satisfied w mediocre QB play?

it would be way too idiotic to break up the flow the offense started to have in the second half. It's a well oiled machine now going into next year. You don't just turn that upside down and f it all up, it takes time to build something that flows. This team can win with what they have and yet to obtain in the draft.

Last edited:
The concern would be if/when we get to a spot when we can complete for nfc championships.... can goff lead us over the hump. If we're talking lamar... id have the same concern since he's never on the field during playoff time. You don't sign someone for 46 mil/yr if you have the same concern as your current guy.

Not at 6, but he might be there in the 2nd round. Not sure I'd take him at 18 even.

A month ago id agree with you.

But after FA covered so many holes I think holmes reverts back to what he loves to do in early rounds... get dynamic big/shock play type of guys that can impact a game.

If you're at 6 and you're looking at
Witherspoon - maybe your 4th cb?
Skoronski - maybe starts over Glasgow?
Tyree Wilson - maybe shares time at DE didn't really have much production in college and slow of the ball.

I just don't see that impact player he normally goes out and gets sitting there. I think I'm leaning:

6 Nolan Smith
18 Quentin Johnston

Last edited:
The concern would be if/when we get to a spot when we can complete for nfc championships.... can goff lead us over the hump. If we're talking lamar... id have the same concern since he's never on the field during playoff time. You don't sign someone for 46 mil/yr if you have the same concern as your current guy.

Even if healthy, I think Goff as a passer in a passing league is better than Lamar. 91 and 87 ratings the last two years. Great runner but that creates risk too. Can be a good passer as he did have some monster years too with a MVP.

But give me a better passer on a cheaper contract that we have the option to move on from too. If you give Lamar 46/per fully guaranteed and give up two 1sts, well he is your starter for like 4 years at least with a higher injury risk and Lions probably using pick 18 on a QB and Round 1 2024 on a QB (two picks one QB in Lamar plus less cap space)

If you believe in Levis or Richardson, well now you are talking about using only one 1st (at 7 million per not 46 per) and seeing what Goff can do (at 30 million this year and maybe next year) and have the next plan already in motion if you have to dump Goff.

If roll with just Goff, well he better do well this year or you better be able to get a QB in the 2024 draft. Wasting 2023 on Goff could happen, but wasting 2023-2026 on Lamar with less cap space could also happen, plus you have one less non QB impact player (lose pick 18 say and 2024 1st is gone for Lamar too)

Last edited:
I think the Ravens had a top 5 defense in 4 of the 5 years that Lamar was there, and he has one playoff win

Last edited:
We just signed marvin Jones Jr.....

1 year 3 mil.

Great value for the money... not exactly the most explosive outside threat anymore.

Last edited:
Amazing how Holmes sees the holes so well and still get good deals

Back