Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

234,000 Jobs Unemployment Down to 8.3 %

The unemployment numbers just show those still collecting unemployment benefits. It doesn't count the people who have lost unemployment benefits and are still looking for work. I would almost bet that the true unemployed number is around 16%

tazmac said:
The unemployment numbers just show those still collecting unemployment benefits. It doesn't count the people who have lost unemployment benefits and are still looking for work. I would almost bet that the true unemployed number is around 16%

Not true at all, the unemployment numbers have nothing to do with collecting unemployment. They're gathered by surveys and have been calculated the same way for a long time. There are arguments about what it really measures, so basically they are most useful for comparing different time periods with each other.

If I was a Repub running against Obama, I'd say "sure its improved, a little, but it took 3 years for him to do a thing, so if you elect him again will it take 3 more years for him to do a thing?". I'm not sure it's 16% like Taz mentioned but I bet its a fair bit more than 8.3%.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]If I was a Repub running against Obama, I'd say "sure its improved, a little, but it took 3 years for him to do a thing, so if you elect him again will it take 3 more years for him to do a thing?". I'm not sure it's 16% like Taz mentioned but I bet its a fair bit more than 8.3%.

took Reagan 3+ years to clean up Carters mess....he's a black man from Kenya not Jesus Christ
cool.png

SLICK said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]If I was a Repub running against Obama, I'd say "sure its improved, a little, but it took 3 years for him to do a thing, so if you elect him again will it take 3 more years for him to do a thing?". I'm not sure it's 16% like Taz mentioned but I bet its a fair bit more than 8.3%.

took Reagan 3+ years to clean up Carters mess....he's a black man from Kenya not Jesus Christ
cool.png

But he added to what Bush left. I'm not sure it takes one step back to move two forward but like I said I don't think 8.3% is a fair number.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
SLICK said:
cool.png

But he added to what Bush left. I'm not sure it takes one step back to move two forward but like I said I don't think 8.3% is a fair number.

and Reagan added to what Carter left until his policies took over...you conservatives roll around with blinders on.

the only true numbers are when theres a republican in the White House , right ? they get fudged for Dems. ;)

So if the opinion is that 8.3% is inaccurate and actually quite higher, that leaves two explanations...

-The old numbers were also inaccurate and actually higher, which means unemployment numbers are improving

or

- The old numbers are accurate and the government decided to lie this time around

Which is it?

SLICK said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

and Reagan added to what Carter left until his policies took over...you conservatives roll around with blinders on.

the only true numbers are when theres a republican in the White House , right ? they get fudged for Dems. ;)

I'm with the green party.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
SLICK said:

I'm with the green party.

Rosanne/Chong 2012
cool.png

Another 227,000 jobs and the other numbers are even better.

"The number of people employed in February

Why do you guys argue over this shit. I'll be happy when its down to 4% 8.3, 9.2 - it doesn't really matter its still high. And whether its gotten better over the previous administration its still damn high.

Rosanne/Chong 2012..

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Why do you guys argue over this shit. I'll be happy when its down to 4% 8.3, 9.2 - it doesn't really matter its still high. And whether its gotten better over the previous administration its still damn high.

Rosanne/Chong 2012..

NO arguments from me...just trying to bring some facts to the table.
2.8 Million jobs eliminated(since taking over in Jan 2009) by the administration in calculating the rate(just another fact)

February Jobs Report

-- Jobs Created: +227,000 (January and December revised up by 61,000)

-- Private Sector Jobs Created: +233,000

-- Government: -6,000 (in 2011, government lost an average of 22,000 per month)

-- Unemployment Rate: 8.3 percent

-- Under-Employment Rate (marginally-attached, part-time): 14.9 percent (the first time its been below 15 percent since January 2009-in 2007, the rate was 8 percent)

-- Total Number of Unemployed: 12.8 million (unchanged)

-- Long-term unemployed (jobless for 27 weeks and over): 5.4 million representing 42.6 percent of the total unemployed (down from 5.5 million)

-- Average duration of unemployment: 40 weeks (from 40.1 weeks)

-- Average workweek: 34.5 (unchanged)

-- Average Hourly Earnings: up $0.03 to $23.31 (up 1.9 percent over past 12 months)

-- The number of people employed in February

[quote="johnny2x2x":fgrtjdpq]February Jobs Report

-- Under-Employment Rate (marginally-attached, part-time): 14.9 percent (the first time its been below 15 percent since January 2009-in 2007, the rate was 8 percent)

-- Long-term unemployed (jobless for 27 weeks and over): 5.4 million representing 42.6 percent of the total unemployed (down from 5.5 million)

-- Average Hourly Earnings: up $0.03 to $23.31 (up 1.9 percent over past 12 months)

[quote="Mitch":bj2yttad]
[quote="johnny2x2x":bj2yttad]February Jobs Report

Things are completely turned around from where they were in terms of the direction of the economy and have been getting better markedly for several months now, that is the bottom line. If you can't be happy about that then there is something wrong with you. No one is saying things still aren't tough, but we've now had 24 months in a row of private sector job growth, that's a great sign. All of these numbers point to good things for America in the coming months and that's a great relief we should all be proud of.

The ship is sailing in the correct direction, keep on steering it the same way and we'll get to where we need to be, that is clear.

All I know besides the gas prices, as you mention, keeps going us is the damn food bills. I'm happy we're improving in some areas but when those people get jobs they won't be able to afford food. So I'll keep my glass half empty before I get super excited.

Other good news was that Decembers numbers were adjusted up to 223,000 jobs created and January's up to 284,000 new jobs. That's 3/4 million jobs in 3 months.

Now where were all those FOX news sheep who were screaming seasonal hiring when Decembers numbers were 1st announced? Come on, I remember hearing that talking point from more than one person here in the last few months. Own it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daniel-gross/jobs-report-trend-meaningful-growth-emerges-141221947.html

"In February 2012, BLS determined the number of Americans who were working was 142.065 million, up from 141.637 million in January 2012, and up significantly from 139.551 million in February 2011. That's 2.514 million more Americans working today than a year ago. In February, the labor force, the labor force participation rate, and the employment-to-population ratio all grew. They still remain at depressed levels. The U-6, an unemployment rate that takes into account frustrated job seekers and people who are working part-time but would prefer to work full-time, fell to 14.9 percent. That's high, but it's the lowest level since January 2009."

johnny2x2x said:
Other good news was that Decembers numbers were adjusted up to 223,000 jobs created and January's up to 284,000 new jobs. That's 3/4 million jobs in 3 months.

Now where were all those FOX news sheep who were screaming seasonal hiring when Decembers numbers were 1st announced? Come on, I remember hearing that talking point from more than one person here in the last few months. Own it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daniel-gross/jobs-report-trend-meaningful-growth-emerges-141221947.html

"In February 2012, BLS determined the number of Americans who were working was 142.065 million, up from 141.637 million in January 2012, and up significantly from 139.551 million in February 2011. That's 2.514 million more Americans working today than a year ago. In February, the labor force, the labor force participation rate, and the employment-to-population ratio all grew. They still remain at depressed levels. The U-6, an unemployment rate that takes into account frustrated job seekers and people who are working part-time but would prefer to work full-time, fell to 14.9 percent. That's high, but it's the lowest level since January 2009."

Are you more happy more jobs were created or because the right was wrong? I can't tell.

Back