Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3-D printed gun parts

How about you just draw a gun, and then you have one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWyhezIze4
hFC857728

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of practical.

If practical is a cheap, effective, throwaway, untraceable weapon, how would that not be practical to them?

Yes a cheap, effective, throwaway weapon would be practical..I agree. The problem is that with current technology its not any of those things. Its not cheap, and its not all that effective either.

SLS or SLA machines that can 3D print metal parts cost tens of thousands of dollars. Not really cheap. Add in the fact that they are not user friendly and you can see why they are marketed/used by corporations only.

Homemade or DIY 3D printers are the FDM type (hot plastic extrusion) - you will never be able to make a working gun from that type of 3D printer. The types of plastics used are nowhere near strong enough to withstand the force required to fire a bullet. It takes a ton of tweaking to even get a part to be waterproof.

Basically what im saying is, the trouble someone would have to go through to '3D print' a gun is the damn near the same as building a homemade gun with scrap/machined parts. Someone could just as easily buy a lathe/drill and make their own gun.

Basically what im saying is, the trouble someone would have to go through to '3D print' a gun is the damn near the same as building a homemade gun with scrap/machined parts. Someone could just as easily buy a lathe/drill and make their own gun.

I agree for now, but I think this could change in the near future. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if someone put out instruction of what printer to buy, what file to print, and $5 worth of home depot parts to make simple guns.

Also, since high capacity magazines are possible right now, if they ban high capacity magazines, I could see the gov trying to somehow restrict 3D printing technology with some sort of DRM strategy. I don't think criminals will get into building their own printers, so adding DRM to commercial units might be possible in theory. Also, companies are going to want to try to slap DRM on 3D printing anyway. Think of all the plastic crap that goes in and out of fashion with as kids toys. But how you'd check to see if one shape is like another shape would be a computing nightmare. People can already defeat audio and video copyright with slight tweaks to the data (play the song 5% faster and the algorithms won't recognize it).

Well that's not the issue. It's always been possible to manufacture guns, anyone with a C&C machine and a blueprint can probably machine all the parts except the springs to make an exact (fully functional) copy of any gun.

The issue is a single use, throwaway gun is possible on the cheaper versions of the 3D printers. You're assuming someone is buying a printer for the sole reason of making guns, when it could just be an off the book cash transaction to sell a few single use, untraceable weapons like Red suggested. The guns don't have to stand up to repeated force, as we know they would not.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that someone would purchase a machine in order to mass produce them.

here's a sample program I wrote to do it:

10 PRINT gun
20 REPEAT 10 times
30 END

just run that baby as needed, and BINGO. you got guns. no sense in regulating this... it's like trying to stick your finger in a hole in the damn. there are going to be guns all over the MF place. old grandmas are even going to be getting into the act. and liberals like Victors can whine all they want about guns, but they better get used to reality here. by 2015, you're not going to be able to swing a dead cat without knocking over some printed guns.

here's a sample program I wrote to do it:

10 PRINT gun
20 REPEAT 10 times
30 END

just run that baby as needed, and BINGO. you got guns. no sense in regulating this... it's like trying to stick your finger in a hole in the damn. there are going to be guns all over the MF place. old grandmas are even going to be getting into the act. and liberals like Victors can whine all they want about guns, but they better get used to reality here. by 2015, you're not going to be able to swing a dead cat without knocking over some printed guns.

I can't believe that worked!
tray-of-pistols.jpg

$5 says intelligence agencies are already 3D printing one-shot, untraceable assassination weapons, because why wouldnt they?

The idea Batman never used a gun is a myth.

Detective575.jpg

Damn! Thanks! I own 3 comic books and 2 are Batman, so most of what I know is from the movies and video games.

I like the watchmen bit there.

Did he shoot anyone?

Last edited:
he looks ridiculous using a gun.

...but then again, so do most NRA members.

Did he shoot anyone?

I don't know. I only know from other discussions that the idea Batman never uses a gun was a recent thing. It tend to follow what people call "soft core" stuff from DC Comics, vs. "hard core" from Marvel comics.

DC tends to not use guns, kill enemies, and always be about truth, justice, blah blah. Where as Marvel has plenty of characters that kill or main without batting an eyelash, mostly guys like Deadpool and Wolverine.

I don't know. I only know from other discussions that the idea Batman never uses a gun was a recent thing. It tend to follow what people call "soft core" stuff from DC Comics, vs. "hard core" from Marvel comics.

DC tends to not use guns, kill enemies, and always be about truth, justice, blah blah. Where as Marvel has plenty of characters that kill or main without batting an eyelash, mostly guys like Deadpool and Wolverine.

I hadn't really realized that distinction. Of course, the 1st comic I read was Watchmen...so...my perspective is probably way off.

When I started reading comics and watching Batman on TV 45 + years ago, I never saw Batman with a gun.

He relied on the wacky gadgets he carried on that utility belt.

When I started reading comics and watching Batman on TV 45 + years ago, I never saw Batman with a gun.

He relied on the wacky gadgets he carried on that utility belt.

Same as the movies and the comics now for the most part. But the Batman that Bob Kane created was not a super person, he was supposed to have no extra ordinary skills other than being the worlds greatest detective, who at times, like all detectives, used a gun. I can't say for sure if he ever shot anyone though.

Robin was known to use a gun in the early comics as well.

Robin%20Using%20Gun.jpg

But to get back on topic, I'm sure any gun used by Batman would have to be untraceable and I'm sure Wayne Enterprises perfected the use of metal 3-D printers for their manufacture. Otherwise I think only Texas would sell a gun to a guy in black and blue tights wearing a mask without asking for any background information.

Back