Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Am I wrong to want Harbaugh gone at this point?

MAIZEandBLUE09

I'm pretty conflicted. I supported Harbaugh through most things but I'm struggling to support what I just saw on the field against a Sparty team that just lost to Rutgers. I just can accept we have a QB in year six that still can't throw. An offensive line that still can't block. Running backs that show promise but never do anything. IDK, from all the top 10 recruiting classes and consistency in coaching you'd think we'd be better but there's always a peak we can't overcome. We've never looked anything remotely like OSU most years, and seem to have a game like this every single year (last year it was Army). I'm kinda tired of it. I just don't know who'd replace him and do better.

The program isn't getting better. We have no chance to beat OSU or win the conference with this staff. Time to move on. Tony Elliot would be great.

It’s time for a change. Jim is not a good motivator anymore. Can’t develop a qb. Can’t beat Msu and Osu at home. Plus Brown and Gattis are just not very good coordinators. That blitz on second and goal when a field doesn’t hurt you was flat out the dumbest playcall he has ever done. Plus he never adjusts to help his struggling secondary.

I think it’s a weird season to consider such a drastic change.

And it’s way too early to decide the team isn’t getting any better after one crappy game.

How long ago was it that there wasn’t even going to be a season at all?

A month?

Six weeks?

And there’s really no assurance that this season will even complete.

And there?s really no assurance that this season will even complete.

Nope.

But I think it will.

For the conferences that initially followed the science and realized the dangers - if necessary protocols were adhered to - were way overblown, it?s week nine already.

I?m gonna be bummed a bit...then I?m gonna watch football, and hope that in the bizarro year this is, something will occur so that PSU and OSU can lose to each other.

Then it?s back to business; and next Saturday 9 AM PST I?m going to tune into my local Fox affiliate, fully expecting to see Michigan victorious over its second ranked road opponent in a row of the season.

Over the course of now more than 50 years following Michigan football, I?ve seen extremely disappointing days end up being a part of a number of generally satisfying and enjoyable seasons.

And this season, I?m just going to be glad there?s a game to watch every week, regardless of what happened the week before.

The team was at its best when it had Hoke's recruits.

It?s too early in the season for me to concede that we?re a basketball school, anyway.

Not that I won?t be looking forward to basketball, along with hockey and baseball, and softball and I think women?s hoops is getting better, too.

I wanted him gone last year. You can't beat OSU and now you're losing to MSU. Harbaugh is an NFL coach where you can lose some games. College is not his forte.

Somehow other coaches find a way to get more out of their players. They play above their natural ability. For some reason Michigan coaches don’t do that. Their players under perform continually...

I think it?s a weird season to consider such a drastic change.

And it?s way too early to decide the team isn?t getting any better after one crappy game.

How long ago was it that there wasn?t even going to be a season at all?

A month?

Six weeks?

Man what ever you are taking, I'll take two.

Harbaugh should have been on the hot seat anyway. The only reason he hasn't been is because he's Harbaugh, but the name has run its course. He needs to put up or shut up and I think he has proven he's not capable of running this program in the right direction.

Side note: didn't Harbaugh have a issue with UM some years back. Maybe he's just here for the money.

This isn?t the only loss either. I see Indiana, Wisconsin, Penn St., Uos beating Michigan. Harbaugh will be gone after this season.

So just read an article. Says Harbaugh entered the season with no contract extension. Anyone know if that's true? be awful easy to move on from him if he's out of contract.

Whats Charlie Weis doing these days? :lmao::lmao::cheers:

I got destroyed for having the audacity to suggest that it was time to move on from Harbaugh. If the only defense of Harbaugh is "it could always be worse, remember hoke/rod" that's not good enough. Michigan is a program that expects to be elite. Keeping Jim means that they're accepting above-average. Yes, the teams are better now than they were under Hoke and Rich Rod. But the recruiting is going down hill and they still aren't competing for conference titles, let alone playoff spots or national titles. They still lose to teams that they should beat and struggle with teams they should blow out. Don Brown appears to have his job regardless of his performance, which has been abysmal against OSU.

Look at Texas. They're not back, but they're also not accepting mediocrity or beholden to a coach that is mediocre. I'd much rather see Michigan trying to win a championship and falling flat on their face than accepting that a 10 win season half of the time is good enough even if you're never beating your rival or competing for a title.

That said, I do think that this season is a development season with how young the team is. But if the opportunity to hire someone like Luke Fickell is there, I would be willing to move on. If there's not a quality coach available then I'd be fine with waiting. There have been a lot of positives in 2 games. There were a lot of negatives today. I DO NOT think that they should retain Don Brown. His approach is outdated and his inability to adapt to the talent he has is not going to help the team get closer to the goal of winning championships.

Last edited:
Fire this turd, now. I know Manwell won't, so hopefully Jimmy decides to hang it up. Fuck this guy. Hire Urban. Eat your pride pill and hire Meyer. He'll coach five+ years, but he will put us in position to take back the overall series swing back in our favor with OSU. Let him do what he does and call it a day. The guy proves time and again on the air waves what a great football mind he is. Break out the armored vehicles and give him what he wants.

Man what ever you are taking, I'll take two.

Harbaugh should have been on the hot seat anyway. The only reason he hasn't been is because he's Harbaugh, but the name has run its course. He needs to put up or shut up and I think he has proven he's not capable of running this program in the right direction.

Side note: didn't Harbaugh have a issue with UM some years back. Maybe he's just here for the money.

He did. But he ain?t here for the money - he left NFL money on the table to come to Michigan. He considers Ann Arbor as his home town.

Jim and John grew up on the other side of town from me. John is a grade behind me, Jim is three. Both played little league football on the Jr. Packers; I played on the Jr. Rams.

John graduated from Ann Arbor Pioneer the year after I did. John?s Senior year, sophomore Jim started at QB for Pioneer.

The next year, dad Jack, who had been an assistant coach under Bo, took an assistant job for a school team in the San Jose area.

Jim finished his high school at Palo Alto High, or something, and went to play football at Michigan.

Everybody knows the rest of the story.

Maybe Harbaugh isn?t the right fit at Michigan, I don?t know.

But if he leaves, his first replacement is going to be more like RichRod than Bo Schembechler.

It doesn?t take Sherlock Holmes to figure that out.

Maybe there is no right fit at Michigan for Michigan fans.

Fire this turd, now. I know Manwell won't, so hopefully Jimmy decides to hang it up. Fuck this guy. Hire Urban. Eat your pride pill and hire Meyer. He'll coach five+ years, but he will put us in position to take back the overall series swing back in our favor with OSU. Let him do what he does and call it a day. The guy proves time and again on the air waves what a great football mind he is. Break out the armored vehicles and give him what he wants.

What are the chances that Urban Meyer would take this job?

Why would he?

He did. But he ain?t here for the money - he left NFL money on the table to come to Michigan. He considers Ann Arbor as his home town.

Jim and John grew up on the other side of town from me. John is a grade behind me, Jim is three. Both played little league football on the Jr. Packers; I played on the Jr. Rams.

John graduated from Ann Arbor Pioneer the year after I did. John?s Senior year, sophomore Jim started at QB for Pioneer.

The next year, dad Jack, who had been an assistant coach under Bo, took an assistant job for a school team in the San Jose area.

Jim finished his high school at Palo Alto High, or something, and went to play football at Michigan.

Everybody knows the rest of the story.

Maybe Harbaugh isn?t the right fit at Michigan, I don?t know.

But if he leaves, his first replacement is going to be more like RichRod than Bo Schembechler.

It doesn?t take Sherlock Holmes to figure that out.

Maybe there is no right fit at Michigan for Michigan fans.

That's all good and well, but just because he's the ideal fit from a "Michigan Man" standpoint doesn't mean he's the right guy from a success standpoint. There's no reason to believe that just because they move on they're going to go 3-9. There's also no guarantee that they'll go 15-0. But there is reason to believe that recruits will start losing faith. I'll again point to Texas, because I feel like that's a very comparable situation being a blue blood that can't seem to find their guy. They just lost 2 recruits this week, 1 of which is the #1 QB in the 2022 class, because they have mediocre results on the field.

Recruiting is key, and the gap is getting wider every year..Michigan has highly rated classes because they're signing 25 guys per year, half of which are 3 stars. The elites are still ranked higher with 20 recruits per year but those recruits are mostly 4 and 5 stars. The talent is the issue and recruits aren't buying what Jim is selling anymore.

What are the chances that Urban Meyer would take this job?

Why would he?

While I would love to see Urban take the head coach position he would NEVER take the Michigan job. He?s too Scarlet & Gray to be a traitor. His (UOS) blood runs too deep.

Back