Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ann Arbor Again Ranked as Best Place to Live in the US

I'm not a huge fan of UM's stadium, but the tailgate scene is probably the best I have been to.

yeah, good point. You can't rely on delusional sycophants to be objective, like the millions of people who buy Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, K Pop, One Direction, etc albums and go to their concerts (although hopefully not at stadiums as lousy as uofm's)...

But in the case of uofm, is it really millions of fans? Aren't most of the attendees season ticket holders? Even if there were unique attendees to every game in a season, that's fewer than 850k in a season. Millions sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. Also, it is possible to still have a good time despite the fact that the stadium itself is crappy. There's a lot more to a college football Saturday than a massively overrated stadium.

I think you are right, it is more than just a seat in a stadium. It is the pregame, game and postgame atmosphere that having the winningest program in the history of college football brings.

I went to UM football games most Saturdays as an adolescent/teenager as a guest of Don Canham through a program with the Washtenaw County Boy Scouts. The stadium seemed okay to me, I didn?t have anything to compare it to, and I really still don?t; I think I?ve only been to the Rose Bowl and the LA Coliseum, and once the Shoe on
the sideline as a guest of THE Ohio State University.

Don?t know that I noticed much difference between any of them; except obviously Michigan Stadium felt like ?home? to me.

Anyway I don?t want to go to any stadium for anything. Much rather stay home and watch on TV.

I generally don?t like to go to venues with the masses anymore, although I?m going to make an exception Friday and go see Cecily Strong in a one woman performance.

I don?t know, in the big picture Ann Arbor isn?t half as ?flamboyant,? ?progressive? or outlandish as it?s made to be at times, once you leave campus. It?s a rather buttoned down town with an emphasis on family, just not the ?white/cul de sac only? version, but there are plenty of those too!

I don?t know, in the big picture Ann Arbor isn?t half as ?flamboyant,? ?progressive? or outlandish as it?s made to be at times, once you leave campus. It?s a rather buttoned down town with an emphasis on family, just not the ?white/cul de sac only? version, but there are plenty of those too!

It's got something for everyone!

Nice, right?

A person can be not gay and love Wonder Woman.

I love, love Gal Godot as Wonder Woman.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3X1kxF5Q1s

I knew the guy in the article I linked to about Madonna, Christoper Flynn. I shared the stage with him in a production of ?On Flew Over the Cuckoo?s Nest.? We had a friendly, respectful association, and weird - we never got to talkin? about each other?s preferences and private lives.

Who would?o thunk?

Linda Carter is hands down the best of all time to play Wonder Woman - and it's not even close.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of UM's stadium, but the tailgate scene is probably the best I have been to.

I used to go to the MSU/uofm game every year (I have 2 wolverine & 3 Spartan siblings) from about 1989 to 2001 when I was in school and living in Chicago. Since then I've been a few times but not since 2012. I always had a good time at the tailgates, wouldn't say it's the best I've been to but definitely a good time. I'm just not buying into the myth about the stadium. It's flat so you're still really low even when you're far back, because of that it's not as loud as beaver or ohio or even Spartan stadium and it's a nightmare getting in and out or to a bathroom/concession stand.

Last edited:
I think you are right, it is more than just a seat in a stadium. It is the pregame, game and postgame atmosphere that having the winningest program in the history of college football brings.

you always have the pre-forward pass era to hang your hat on. how were the tailgates back then?

Last edited:
you always have the pre-forward pass era to hand your hat on. how were the tailgates back then?

Probably the same.

Unless you?re talking about the tailgates in the pre-forward pass era that was also before the time that automobiles became prevelent, which historians seem to peg as happening around the 1910s and 1920s - I guess which it is depends as what one would describe as ?prevalent.?

Then I don?t know.

Probably the same.

Unless you?re talking about the tailgates in the pre-forward pass era that was also before the time that automobiles became prevelent, which historians seem to peg as happening around the 1910s and 1920s - I guess which it is depends as what one would describe as ?prevalent.?

Then I don?t know.

I think we can concede our tailgates were pretty lame in the 1910's. Things got better in the 20's when Fielding Yost invented bluetooth speaker technology, and the University music department invented rock, motown, and funk.

Ann Arbor is the only city that could make me move north. I am an avid hater of winter, so anything worse than what I already deal with would have to be made up by season tickets to Michigan hoops. I also love the city, so that is a big plus.

Last edited:
I think we can concede our tailgates were pretty lame in the 1910's. Things got better in the 20's when Fielding Yost invented bluetooth speaker technology, and the University music department invented rock, motown, and funk.

I know, right?

Just imagine tailgating going back to the beginning in 1880!

Were horse and buggies even allowed on the golf course?

I know, right?

Just imagine tailgating going back to the beginning in 1880!

Were horse and buggies even allowed on the golf course?

actually, you go back far enough and all drugs were legal. Coca Cola even had actual cocaine in it. Everybody smoked from a big communal opium pipe while they sipped mint juleps

The tailgates back then were epic... just drug-fueled bacchanalia on the golf course for hours on end. almost nobody even made it to the games.

actually, you go back far enough and all drugs were legal. Coca Cola even had actual cocaine in it. Everybody smoked from a big communal opium pipe while they sipped mint juleps

The tailgates back then were epic... just drug-fueled bacchanalia on the golf course for hours on end. almost nobody even made it to the games.

Well, in the pre-forward pass era, the actual games could be kind of dull.

Well, in the pre-forward pass era, the actual games could be kind of dull.

right. bunch of unhealthy, tubercular 18-22 year old angry white kids knocking eachother around, with the occasional circus strongman or barroom brawler brought in as a ringer.

More like watching rugby or something like that. no thanks

right. bunch of unhealthy, tubercular 18-22 year old angry white kids knocking eachother around, with the occasional circus strongman or barroom brawler brought in as a ringer.

More like watching rugby or something like that. no thanks

Yeah.

I would have probably chosen to stay at the opium/coke bacchanal tailgate party also.

Yeah.

I would have probably chosen to stay at the opium/coke bacchanal tailgate party also.

Agreed. The games all looked the same in those days. Maybe the first one was kinda entertaining, but like if you've seen one barfight, you've pretty much seen them all.

Like going to a NASCAR race, and watching cars drive in a circle for 6 hours.

Bayer recommended giving heroin to children with coughs, colds, and "irritation" as late as 1912. Ah the good old days.

Back