Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

At Washington

Spartanmack

Looks like the oddsmakers are nonbelievers. Early line has unranked Washington favored by 3.5 over the 11th ranked Spartans.

It's a home game for the Huskies so I guess they're saying the teams are evenly matched if you buy that "home field is worth a field goal" thing. But that's little consolation given the disparity in their respective rankings.

Neither team has played anybody of note yet. Based on how The Spartans have played, specifically Thorne, this seems like a bad matchup for them.

If he throws a couple picks, it could get ugly. If I'm Mel Tucker, I'm going super-conservative and playing a field position game in the 1st half.

I?m not saying they?re wrong or that I?m even surprised. Personally I don?t think we?re a top 15 team. I?m just pointing out it?s not a good look to be 11th and be an underdog to an unranked team - even early in the season when rankings don?t mean a whole lot.

I think the preseason over for MSU wins of 7.5 was a good market - this is one of the games many of us thought would be one of the 2 or 3 games that would make the difference.

I had us losing this game to start the season. I?m not shocked we?re 3.5 point dogs or so. I don?t have the exact stat but the Big Ten historically is pretty bad when traveling out west (Arizona State in 2018 immediately comes to mind).

I have obvious concerns with Thorne 2 games in. Also, I still won?t trust our secondary until they show me something. They were lackluster against WMU I thought and I?m still scarred from 2021.

I had us losing this game to start the season. I?m not shocked we?re 3.5 point dogs or so. I don?t have the exact stat but the Big Ten historically is pretty bad when traveling out west (Arizona State in 2018 immediately comes to mind).

I have obvious concerns with Thorne 2 games in. Also, I still won?t trust our secondary until they show me something. They were lackluster against WMU I thought and I?m still scarred from 2021.

I mentioned in the recruiting thread that my nephew who grew up in EL has friends who share a house with some football players (walk-ons). They told him that the secondary absolutely sucks in practice except for Brantley and Kimbrough. But the guy said Brantley is less than 160#.

I'm not expecting much improvement from the secondary, esp if Henderson's injury is going to keep him out.

Last edited:
Have we ever went out west and beat a pac 10/12 team in the reg season? I remember losing to ASU, Oregon and Cal off of recent memory

Have we ever went out west and beat a pac 10/12 team in the reg season? I remember losing to ASU, Oregon and Cal off of recent memory

so I'm on "Michigan twitter" now and there's been a lot of jawing about this, so I know that MSU's last regular season win out west was in 1957.

obviously not including bowl games.

starting with this one, MSU's next six games pretty much determine the season for you guys.

You end with 3 gimmes (on paper), then @PennSt

so I'm on "Michigan twitter" now and there's been a lot of jawing about this, so I know that MSU's last regular season win out west was in 1957.

obviously not including bowl games.

What is ?out west??

Is it west of the Mississippi?

Is it west of the Great Continental Divide?

The two are not the same thing.

What is ?out west??

well, since his question was specifically about Pac-12/10 games "out west" I thought by responding using the same terminology he used I was answering the question as directly as possible, but I apologies for not defining it better.

"Out west" refers to "road games against Pac10/12 teams" which are all in the WESTERN part of our country. It does not include Bowl games, which don't count as "road games."

Last edited by a moderator:

Took my wife (fianc? then) to that game at Cal the day after we got engaged on a trip up the coast. Mark Dell and our other top receiver (Cunningham maybe?) but mostly Dell had a bunch of key drops in that game. Not a great start for her but I married her anyway and I?m pretty sure they?ve won every game she?s been to since.

Last edited:
What is ?out west??

Doesn?t your little jingle say something about being champions of the West? We actually have to travel East to get there and you?re not a PAC 10/12 team but we?ve had some success there recently.

Last edited:
Recent games I can remember/know of

1998- loss at Oregon
2004- loss at Hawaii (you?ll never convince me that wasn?t rigged)
2008- loss at Cal
2014- loss at Oregon
2018- loss at Arizona St

Doesn?t your little jingle say something about being champions of the West? We actually have to travel East to get there and you?re not a PAC 10/12 team but we?ve had some success there recently.

That?s awesome.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was about the upcoming Lions game against the Colonizers.

Or whatever that NFL franchise has changed its name to.

Then I saw it was your post on the MSU board. I thought ?since when Spartan Mac post about lions games on the MSU board.??

Now I get it:

That?s awesome.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was about the upcoming Lions game against the Colonizers.

Or whatever that NFL franchise has changed its name to.

Then I saw it was your post on the MSU board. I thought ?since when Spartan Mac post about lions games on the MSU board.??

Now I get it:

Pretty solid right? My uofm troll game has been on this week.

I almost never know who the Giants or Jets are playing and we?re smack dab in the middle of their territory. All I remember hearing about the lions the last 20 years is they lost again - oh and Stanford got traded, that was pretty much national sports news.

Last edited:
well, since his question was specifically about Pac-12/10 games "out west" I thought by responding using the same terminology he used I was answering the question as directly as possible, but I apologies for not defining it better.

"Out west" refers to "road games against Pac10/12 teams" which are all in the WESTERN part of our country. It does not include Bowl games, which don't count as "road games."

Soon USC and UCLA won?t be in the western part of the country. They?ll be in the Midwest. So road games against them for current B1G teams won?t be out west anymore.

Soon USC and UCLA won?t be in the western part of the country. They?ll be in the Midwest. So road games against them for current B1G teams won?t be out west anymore.

Are you sure they?re not moving to Florida like everyone else leaving California?

Edit: my brother has had enough. He is moving to Florida next weekend. Kinda sucks that we never got our kids out to LA while he was there but we?ll see him a lot more in Florida.

Last edited:
Back