Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bo Knew About Anderson

Rename? Yost Ice Arena? Crisler Arena? Oosterbaan Fieldhouse? Fisher Stadium? Why?

I could dial that back to "leave names in place provided they've not done anything reprehensible by current moral standards AND they've been dead long enough to minimize the risk that we discover horrible things about them."

I'm vaguely aware that there already are discussions about renaming Yost Ice Arena, that have something to do with his views or practices on race.

He's more or less personally responsible for college football's "Original Sin" of making itself bigger than the educational institutions it purportedly serves, when he threw a fit after then-President Angell tried to reign in the sport & ban Yost from all his side hustles.

In Don Canham's book, he talks about Yost with some amusement, but in less-than-reverential terms; notes that Yost was an excuse maker and never took responsibility for losses.

Kinda makes me wonder if in a different era of Michigan football, Yost's record would be closer to our other West Virginian coach...

I would say if a scandal don?t get exposed regarding these other stiffs, let?s just leave it be.

I agree (now)

or name them after concepts, not men or women.

"Liberty Arena," "Freedom Stadium," "Justice Ice Arena"

Last edited by a moderator:
I could dial that back to "leave names in place provided they've not done anything reprehensible by current moral standards AND they've been dead long enough to minimize the risk that we discover horrible things about them.

I'm vaguely aware that there already are discussions about renaming Yost Ice Arena, that have something to do with his views or practices on race.

He's more or less personally responsible for college football's "Original Sin" of making itself bigger than the educational institutions it purportedly serves, when he threw a fit after then-President Angell tried to reign in the sport & ban Yost from all his side hustles.

In Don Canham's book, he talks about Yost with some amusement, but in less-than-reverential terms; notes that Yost was an excuse maker and never took responsibility for losses.

Kinda makes me wonder if in a different era of Michigan football, Yost's record would be closer to our other West Virginian coach...

I just said this vastly more succinctly yet also more ironically in the post right before yours.

If they do change the name of Yost Arena I think she should change it to ?Toast Arena.?

Then we could all start humorously saying ?Yost is Toast.?.

I just said this vastly more succinctly yet also more ironically in the post right before yours.

If they do change the name of Yost Arena I think she should change it to ?Toast Arena.?

Then we could all start humorously saying ?Yost is Toast.?.

that's good

I agree (now)

or name them after concepts, not men or women.

"Liberty Arena," "Freedom Stadium," "Justice Ice Arena"

If a scandal emerges and we change any names, let?s go with your idea.

But not Colonial Arena - there?s already one of those the Deep South.

I just want everyone to be happy, so let's go with Yost -> Hillary Clinton Ice Arena, Crisler -> The Trump Arena, and then for football, let's call it Xi Stadium and put up the world's biggest pictures of Xi on it.

Back