Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bo Knew About Anderson

It would seem evident that Bo and Matt did not have the most ideal relationship, or apparently even an average one. I can easily picture Bo not being the best father, whether from his coaching duties keeping him away from the kids or his authoritarian coaching style carrying over into the home.

plus Matt was his step-son. He only had one child of his own, a son, born with Millie his first wife. she had three sons from her first marriage, who Bo adopted.

I think she was widowed.

Regardless, at this time it is beyond clear to me that we never should have made any football coaches into legends. These guys were and are barely qualified to coach a high school gym class, and they're all higher paid than college professors, police chiefs, mayors, public health directors, etc. and dictating policy to university presidents. fucking stupid.

"Well they bring in the money..." Yeah about that... I look at all the time and money spent on college sports, mainly football and basketball, and wonder what's suffering because of our obsession on those things. There's a huge cost to society here, and important things are being neglected so we can obsess about big dumb guys throwing balls around.

I have to imagine the proportion of our time and money spent on circuses rivals the Roman Empire at its peak.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Freep had live coverage of some witness statements today.

one guy was saying the abuse he suffered is the reason both his later marriages failed, and all his life problems resulted from. I'm not sure I buy all that, but simply suffering sexual
abuse from the doctor who your school and team told you to see is bad enough.

I'm guessing in all these cases, like here, PennSt, MSU, and OSU, it really came down to those in power not giving a fuck about kids or their players. They really exist on a different plane (in their own imaginations) and aren't going to lift so much as a finger or utter a word in protest to protect anyone who can't help (or threaten) the success of their coaching career.

Fucking eh... like that's how evil/corrupt/dark/sleazy/take-your-pick so many of our institutions are, that they'd tolerate child molesters and rapists in their own ranks, so long as it didn't interfere with their goals?

It's actually really rare for someone to lie about sexual abuse and make false allegations. Go through any of these articles and see the stats https://www.google.com/search?q=it'...print-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=Utf-8.

Most land on 2-8%. Even those numbers need a closer look. Reports can be labeled false for a huge range of reasons. That includes situations where there's not enough evidence to support the report, or when police have decided the person isn't credible, or if a report has been made on behalf of a victim - and then the victim doesn't want to pursue it in the criminal justice system.

I should have used some instead of tons. My fault. And the reason I spoke up is because I didnt see any other cases from this that involved children. As far as I knew he was into dudes and not little boys. If there are cases of children with this POS, I apologize.

I should have used some instead of tons. My fault. And the reason I spoke up is because I didnt see any other cases from this that involved children. As far as I knew he was into dudes and not little boys. If there are cases of children with this POS, I apologize.

You seem to be implying sexual assault is okay if it's between men, and one of them is gay, but I can't imagine that's what you meant.

I think - even assuming all the athletes were 18, and therefore adults - there's still a huge discrepancy in power between an older doctor employed by the team and some 18-22 college kid.

When I saw the sheer number of cases and times guys claimed to have reported him to coaches (including Bo) who did nothing... that's what really shocked me here. You can't argue that they just dismissed it without taking it seriously. They knew he was doing this to their players, and didn't fucking care.

The full report says more than 600 former students and student athletes filed reports with them, and the law firm was able to interview more than 300 of them. of those dozens said they reported Anderson to their coach, with no action being taken.

The '99 lawsuit was unrelated to this. from the Freep article:
In January 1999, Matt Schembechler sued his father, U-M, campus police and school officials after he claimed they sabotaged his efforts to make souvenirs from discarded stadium bleachers. The lawsuit was thrown out in federal court a few months later.

regardless I don't agree there are "tons" of people that join these sort of things for money. Where are you getting that from? In Penn State, there were a handful of documented victims. every case I saw in the report were from Michigan alumni/athletes that would have to prove they attended the university at those times and substantiate the record that way.

It's not like joining a class action by clicking a box and waiting for your $10 check in the mail. These people have to testify, and swear to the truth that they were sexually abused. Who would make up that sort of stigma?

Plus you have to figure the average middle-aged Michigan alum doesn't need the money that bad.

Because this involves deep pockets. MSU paid out over $500 million to the victims of Nassar. And after what has happened over the last 1.5 yrs (economy), there are some individuals who can say they were given an unauthorized rectal exam for a couple hundred thousand dollars, because that is what we are talking here, not 10 bucks. UM has deeper pockets. People will say anything and do crazy shit for money. It's a sad fact of life. We don't know the full number of people yet, it could get in the hundreds. If it got to 500 or even 1000, that's huge money.

You seem to be implying sexual assault is okay if it's between men, and one of them is gay, but I can't imagine that's what you meant.

I think - even assuming all the athletes were 18, and therefore adults - there's still a huge discrepancy in power between an older doctor employed by the team and some 18-22 college kid.

When I saw the sheer number of cases and times guys claimed to have reported him to coaches (including Bo) who did nothing... that's what really shocked me here. You can't argue that they just dismissed it without taking it seriously. They knew he was doing this to their players, and didn't fucking care.

The full report says more than 600 former students and student athletes filed reports with them, and the law firm was able to interview more than 300 of them. of those dozens said they reported Anderson to their coach, with no action being taken.

I never implied that and you know it. I guess I could imply you think gay men are Pedophiles, but I won't because that would be stupid. As zxyt9 said there was a history with Matt and his dad and that lawsuit wasn't the only issue between the 2. I work law enforcement. You become skeptical of everyone and their motives. That is why I said in my earlier post that we will see it play out.

Because this involves deep pockets. MSU paid out over $500 million to the victims of Nassar. And after what has happened over the last 1.5 yrs (economy), there are some individuals who can say they were given an unauthorized rectal exam for a couple hundred thousand dollars, because that is what we are talking here, not 10 bucks. UM has deeper pockets. People will say anything and do crazy shit for money. It's a sad fact of life. We don't know the full number of people yet, it could get in the hundreds. If it got to 500 or even 1000, that's huge money.

I quoted that above. The WilmerHale investigation reported over 600 claims from victims, and said they reached out to those 600 and were able to interview over 300. I didn't read the whole report, and don't know what number of those are going to end up as actual victims in court. Presumably bald face liars will get caught at some point, when they either contradict themselves, or can't provide any evidence of actually attending the university during the time period in question.

I agree with you that there are people that say and do crazy shit for money, and will even lie and file lawsuits about that. I'm sure there are even some in these cases that will do that, and probably a few of the 600+ reported claims are false.

Needless to say (I think?), that doesn't make any of this okay.

I never implied that and you know it. I guess I could imply you think gay men are Pedophiles, but I won't because that would be stupid. As zxyt9 said there was a history with Matt and his dad and that lawsuit wasn't the only issue between the 2. I work law enforcement. You become skeptical of everyone and their motives. That is why I said in my earlier post that we will see it play out.

Chill. Go back and read what you wrote. You said you only spoke up because you believed none of the victims were kids. So if some of the victims were kids, instead of college students, you wouldn't have said "there are going to be tons in it for just a money grab"?

I just think it's too early to jump in and cast any doubt on this, especially after what we've now seen go down at PennSt, MSU, and OSU (who've managed to largely bury their own similar scandal). If there are some chasing a buck here, they'll get weeded out if and when the University defends itself and challenges their stories.

Sometimes people definitely get paid off in class actions when they don't deserve it, and class actions don't always get money for all the victims, but justice is messy and you figure if 90% of the claims are valid, or whatever, that's good enough in the end. Perfection is not possible in cases like this... with hundreds of claims, and decades of time in between, but people were wronged, and there needs to be some consequences for that.

I quoted that above. The WilmerHale investigation reported over 600 claims from victims, and said they reached out to those 600 and were able to interview over 300. I didn't read the whole report, and don't know what number of those are going to end up as actual victims in court. Presumably bald face liars will get caught at some point, when they either contradict themselves, or can't provide any evidence of actually attending the university during the time period in question.

I agree with you that there are people that say and do crazy shit for money, and will even lie and file lawsuits about that. I'm sure there are even some in these cases that will do that, and probably a few of the 600+ reported claims are false.

Needless to say (I think?), that doesn't make any of this okay.

Chill. Go back and read what you wrote. You said you only spoke up because you believed none of the victims were kids. So if some of the victims were kids, instead of college students, you wouldn't have said "there are going to be tons in it for just a money grab"?

I just think it's too early to jump in and cast any doubt on this, especially after what we've now seen go down at PennSt, MSU, and OSU (who've managed to largely bury their own similar scandal). If there are some chasing a buck here, they'll get weeded out if and when the University defends itself and challenges their stories.

Sometimes people definitely get paid off in class actions when they don't deserve it, and class actions don't always get money for all the victims, but justice is messy and you figure if 90% of the claims are valid, or whatever, that's good enough in the end. Perfection is not possible in cases like this... with hundreds of claims, and decades of time in between, but people were wronged, and there needs to be some consequences for that.

And I am in total agreement.

going for a run later, and was grabbing a t-shirt to wear, but I skipped over all my Michigan ones in the drawer.

I guess that's how Penn State losers felt after all the Jerry Sandusky/JoePa headlines.

when a school doctor fingering dudes' and molesting them for decades is all over the news, you kinda don't want to wear that school's shirt around...

Ok. I purged close to a year ago. Now I think we know enough to pull the statue.

a couple years ago, the university set up an alumni message board.

it wasn't widely used, but some hot button topics generated more posts, so presumably more lurkers than posters. You had to post under your actual name, so I assume that discouraged most people from candid conversation on a lot of topics.

there was some comment about Anderson when this first broke in 2018, but now? Crickets.

they did do a site redesign in between then and now, which seemed to drive people away. I checked the board again, and it's like the same 3-4 random people talking to themselves

Sexual abuse, sadly, is in every crevice of society. I hope we are in the process of power-washing it down the drain.

Sexual abuse, sadly, is in every crevice of society. I hope we are in the process of power-washing it down the drain.

Dude, you literally used that word in that sentence.

It didn?t occur to you the ironic double entendres?

Bacon has another blog entry. Michigan has offered around $100k per victim, which is $90 million in total. Victim's lawyers have rejected it.

https://johnubacon.com/2021/06/dr-andersons-abuse-and-um-athletics-what-we-know-and-dont-know/

this is interesting.

I agree Matt Schembechler's testimony should probably be taken with a grain of salt, but that doesn't explain away the 600 or so other witnesses and statements, it just means that the worst part of this awful story may not have occurred.

this is interesting.

I agree Matt Schembechler's testimony should probably be taken with a grain of salt, but that doesn't explain away the 600 or so other witnesses and statements, it just means that the worst part of this awful story may not have occurred.

Probably sets up a fight over removing the statue though.

Back