Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

CA to allow student athletes to earn money

The floodgates will soon be open. When one state goes there, it's pretty certain that others will follow. There is also talk that if California goes there, California schools will be expelled from NCAA. One way or another, big change is on the horizon.

Last edited:
The floodgates will soon be open. When one state goes there, it's pretty certain that others will follow. There is also talk that if California goes there, California schools will be expelled from NCAA. One way or another, big change is on the horizon.

According to the article, the NCAA would do that only if the rules didn?t change nationally.

The article seems to indicate that the NCAA is anticipating that other states will follow suit, and is focusing its attention now on how to adapt to the new climate.

I'm not against the concept of players being able to compensated for endorsements or whatever due to their popularity on the field/court. However if this goes through and other states follow suit, then college sports as we know it is over. You think Nike and Adidas influence things heavily now? Just wait.

I'm not against the concept of players being able to compensated for endorsements or whatever due to their popularity on the field/court. However if this goes through and other states follow suit, then college sports as we know it is over. You think Nike and Adidas influence things heavily now? Just wait.

basketball will be the worst...they will pretty much be able to dictate which schools get which athletes. Hell, it might start to reverse...the schools might have to bribe Nike and Adidas to get them to come to their schools.

It doesn't matter too much to me...I don't really like college b-ball anyway.

basketball will be the worst...they will pretty much be able to dictate which schools get which athletes. Hell, it might start to reverse...the schools might have to bribe Nike and Adidas to get them to come to their schools.

It doesn't matter too much to me...I don't really like college b-ball anyway.

Maybe Michigan will be able ?cheat? like the OSUs and USCs and basically the entire SEC by doing this without breaking the rules.

Then what?

I don't think things will get worse (that is not possible); however it will hurt the advantage the schools that are okay flouting the rules have over the ones that don't.

If programs could just pay players openly, there won't be any more teams from the SEC in the college football playoff, it would be all Big Ten/PAC12, and whichever of the "oil money" teams make it (Texas/A&M/Oklahoma).

Then what?

I don't think things will get worse (that is not possible); however it will hurt the advantage the schools that are okay flouting the rules have over the ones that don't.

If programs could just pay players openly, there won't be any more teams from the SEC in the college football playoff, it would be all Big Ten/PAC12, and whichever of the "oil money" teams make it (Texas/A&M/Oklahoma).

as far as football...you still have talent pool, coaching, & admission standards that allow the powerhouses to have an advantage. My guess, the rich will get richer.

So the “if [5-star athlete] signs with [Power 5 SEC School] he has the potential to earn millions, instead of signing with [Power 5 Big 12 School not named OU], where he has a chance to earn a degree” conversation probably will never happen, because CFB coaches are, by and large, an ethical lot.

as far as football...you still have talent pool, coaching, & admission standards that allow the powerhouses to have an advantage. My guess, the rich will get richer.

At this point, given how badly the NCAA has done enforcing the rules of "amateur athletics"... I think we should just say "FUCK IT" and let college sports become professional.

the only people who will be harmed are the ones making money off it now: developers, coaches, athletic department employees, Bowl committeemen, etc.

At this point, given how badly the NCAA has done enforcing the rules of "amateur athletics"... I think we should just say "FUCK IT" and let college sports become professional.

the only people who will be harmed are the ones making money off it now: developers, coaches, athletic department employees, Bowl committeemen, etc.

the way it is set up now, there are probably tens of thousands of women every year that get a athletic scholarship due to title 9 and the money the few revenue sports generate. Get rid of that model and a lot of non revenue sports (specifically women's) will probably go away. I wouldn't care...but I'm sure those chicks that get a free ride would care.

the way it is set up now, there are probably tens of thousands of women every year that get a athletic scholarship due to title 9 and the money the few revenue sports generate. Get rid of that model and a lot of non revenue sports (specifically women's) will probably go away. I wouldn't care...but I'm sure those chicks that get a free ride would care.

Republican guys always REALLY care about gender equality in college sports... but only when you talk about paying college athletes!

Republican guys always REALLY care about gender equality in college sports... but only when you talk about paying college athletes!

I don't care ;)

I actually think they should do away with college athletics. Most universities lose money on athletics and the traditional students pay for the athletic departments through student fees.

Why on earth should a school like Western Michigan have an athletic department?

I'm fine with them making money only if they pay for their school studies. Football players at top schools make $40,000 a year. Or more. This is just stupid.

I don't care ;)

I actually think they should do away with college athletics. Most universities lose money on athletics and the traditional students pay for the athletic departments through student fees.

Why on earth should a school like Western Michigan have an athletic department?

Big university football is basically the only profit they get. Small schools lose money, most athletics lose money - it's all a rip off.

I'm fine with them making money only if they pay for their school studies. Football players at top schools make $40,000 a year. Or more. This is just stupid.

40k a year you're saying is alot or not enough? Cause 40k a year here in california means you're homeless, on the streets, and begging for food.

40k a year you're saying is alot or not enough? Cause 40k a year here in california means you're homeless, on the streets, and begging for food.

I?m pretty sure 40k is near the high end for homeless beggars on the streets.

Back